Tips on removing wall and floor tiles, please.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Not if the wall tiles are on plaster board 😁
If they're firmly stuck onto plasterboard the easiest way to remove them is complete with the plasterboard, and then reboard the walls. Just time-saving alone makes it worthwhile and plasterboard is cheap.
If it's a shower area you've also got the opportunity of replacing the plasterboard with something more substantial such as cement boards (Backer boards) or moisture resistant plaster boards.

The worst tiles I've ever had to replace were some porcelain floor tiles that someone had bedded down on plasterer's mesh nailed to floorboards with inch-long clout nails at what looked like 6inch spacing in a bathroom. It took a full day with a Hilti TE40 breaker, cranked chisel, and lots of cursing to get them up and clean the floor ready for overboarding.

Corn Master

Damn Dave. Feel ya

Worst I had was some moron used silicon to stick them on and as a grout substitute

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Joking apart I've often wondered if the polymer based gun adhesives (CT1, etc) would work for sticking porcelain floor tiles to chipboard floors.

FadingLikeDecay

Worst I had was some moron used silicon to stick them on and as a grout substitute
I've used silicon to bond gyproc coving many times in the past. I originally tried using the actual Gyproc Cove Adhesive along with temporary support, yet the damn things just would not stick at all. Silicon however did the job admirably; you just don't let the bead get near the exposed edge so it can be caulked. I'm actually renovating one of it the rooms it was installed in and I recently decided to rip it out. It was bonded so well to the walls and ceiling, that it was a complete bar-steward to remove, definitely an unexpected massive level of suction.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Clear silicone was originally invented as an adhesive and has a stronger bond than coloured silicones

Corn Master

I've used silicon to bond gyproc coving many times in the past. I originally tried using the actual Gyproc Cove Adhesive along with temporary support, yet the damn things just would not stick at all. Silicon however did the job admirably; you just don't let the bead get near the exposed edge so it can be caulked. I'm actually renovating one of it the rooms it was installed in and I recently decided to rip it out. It was bonded so well to the walls and ceiling, that it was a complete bar-steward to remove, definitely an unexpected massive level of suction.
Not much meed for plaster coving nowadays. PU stuff is excellent. Put that up with dec caulk