Tips on removing wall and floor tiles, please.

baldpaul

Site Supporter
I’m sure someone in drownerland has experience removing wall and floor tiles, any tips and advice?.
Cannot wait to start.........

breadflake

Site Supporter
2in bolster and hammer to start with and see what is underneath are they brick or stud walls and is it a solid floor or timber ? with or without underfloor heating .

Griffo

Site Supporter
what Dave and Steve say, good cut resistant gloves are essential, do not underestimate how sharp the edge of a cracked ceramic tile can be, might cost £5 or £6 a pair but worth it (y)

bluemack

Site Supporter
Alternatively DON,T wear safety goggles,gloves,face mask or ear defenders and make a boring job
a lot more interesting.(y)(y)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The one thing I've found is tile cuts bleed quite a bit. So plan ahead, only do it when the missus is home, don't wear gloves, get a cut on the arm, let it bleed a bit, drag yourself down the stairs asking for help in a faint voice, collapse in a heap as though you've lost 7pints of blood, convince the missus it's far too dangerous, nearly life threatening, and you need to get someone in to finish the job whilst you go fishing to recuperate.

...Job done (y)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I once got a tile shard in my eye, it was stuck into the white luckily, and big enough so I couldn't blink, but small enough so I couldn't pull it out either.
It resulted in a trip to the A&E where they removed it and put some dye into my eye to check for any damage.
Luckily there wasn't any but it could have been a whole lot worse - make sure you wear the appropriate PPE

BaldiMug

Got a tile shard under a nail once (approx. 28 years ago) - 7 hours in A&E whilst a major RTA was being dealt with, also as it was from a restaurant kitchen the tile had a metal back (don't know if this is/was the norm) but 3 injections in the finger and lifting the nail up to twizer the sliver of tile out later, the pain stopped.

Totally not worth the grief and pain IMHO. Wear PPE and profit!

baldpaul

Site Supporter
The one thing I've found is tile cuts bleed quite a bit. So plan ahead, only do it when the missus is home, don't wear gloves, get a cut on the arm, let it bleed a bit, drag yourself down the stairs asking for help in a faint voice, collapse in a heap as though you've lost 7pints of blood, convince the missus it's far too dangerous, nearly life threatening, and you need to get someone in to finish the job whilst you go fishing to recuperate.

...Job done (y)
Have you ever tried to”get someone in”?.😉

BaldiMug

Kin’ell I’m cacking myself now.
Don't worry, but as we've all said (due to the Shrapnel effect tiles produce) makes sure you have glasses/googles and good cut resistant gloves.

SDS drill and hammer & bolster, you'll be fine. If not SHOTGUN on you're tackle!

Last edited:
most of the time they will flick off with a hammer and bolster if u find they are stuck that well that u have to use a hammer drill u will probably have to re plaster the walls because it makes a right mess

Gaz9243

The best way is to smash every tile (wall) with a hammer, then just scrape the pieces off with the claw, or pry bar.
For your floor tiles it’s SDS breaker all the way

Tippy

Like others have said hammer and bolster and sds drill with chisel is the way to go.Steady away is the secret to cause less damage to whatever they're stuck to and have strong rubble bags handy and tidy up as you go.Knee pads are a must for the floor...don't kneel on broken tiles!
Sometimes tiles just pop off other times they are stuck like :poop: to a blanket