Tips for places to fish near oxfordshire please

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Blimey that’s a lot of water. If that was all detailed on a website I’d have joined years ago as that added to littlemore is most of Oxford. No idea why you wouldn’t have a website in this day and age, it’s same with the the Banbury club. There’s a reason the odaa clubs do a lot better and it’s probably that they market themselves.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I am going on the canal at Enslow ? tomorrow with someone from fishing magic forum, he has never float fished a canal, only feeder fished it and river fished for barbel . It should be fun, blind leading the blind, I have never seen this part of the canal never mind fished it, Leaving pole at home and using trusty drennan crystalite rod and old shimano reel, lending him an old daiwa sensor deluxe rod and a mitchell reel, only because they are nearest to canal rods I have, others are power waggler rods, hope weather stays dry.

MarkW

I had a North Oxford book a few times over the years (first one in 1972) - at one time they were part of ODAA, although there were also times you also needed a ODAA card as well - and have happy memories of fishing waters including the canal, the Seacourt and the Thames at Godstow and Carrot's Ham, even won a couple of matches on their waters. Carrot's Ham could be hard but it was peaceful and I had some good catches of roach and chub up there, unbothered by rowers and dog walkers.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I had a North Oxford book a few times over the years (first one in 1972) - at one time they were part of ODAA, although there were also times you also needed a ODAA card as well - and have happy memories of fishing waters including the canal, the Seacourt and the Thames at Godstow and Carrot's Ham, even won a couple of matches on their waters. Carrot's Ham could be hard but it was peaceful and I had some good catches of roach and chub up there, unbothered by rowers and dog walkers.
Hi Mark they still have Seacourt Stream and also River Cherwell around Marston Ferry link road bridge.

MarkW

Hi Mark they still have Seacourt Stream and also River Cherwell around Marston Ferry link road bridge.
I always intended to fish the Cherwell and have peered into it a few times, even right back in the 60s when I would go for a walk with my parents in the Parks but never quite got around to fishing it!

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I think my satnav will be getting some use when the weather picks up, Not ventured far in my car at the moment,

MarkW

Way back in the early 80s I bought a North Oxford permit on a Friday night and having noted there was a match at Carrot's Ham on the Sunday, draw 6am, decided to fish it but didn't actually know where the draw was - no satnav or maps - but during Saturday evening I asked another angler whilst fishing a pool in Wolvercote if he knew where to go and he told me the directions - it was about 10pm by then. I duly turned up, fished it wrong - half depth on the stick in 12ft of water - and won easily with 5 chub; how to be popular with the locals!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Let us know how you get on down the canal, thinking if trying it Sunday. I know the Avon and Ouse are fishing better than the Thames and canal at the moment but with a slightly indifferent forecast I’d rather stay close to home so will probably be trying one or the other.

Also whilst I can’t speak for the north oxford ones the littlemore/odaa waters are all easy to find so you shouldn’t have any trouble getting to those :)

squimp

Site Supporter
There are a few decent chub on the Wytham stretch (N Oxford) but it is a long walk.

i used to meet Andy Crisp the N Oxford Secretary at the local consultative meetings - a good guy.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Let us know how you get on down the canal, thinking if trying it Sunday. I know the Avon and Ouse are fishing better than the Thames and canal at the moment but with a slightly indifferent forecast I’d rather stay close to home so will probably be trying one or the other.

Also whilst I can’t speak for the north oxford ones the littlemore/odaa waters are all easy to find so you shouldn’t have any trouble getting to those :)
I will do, could be the Wolvercote stretch now, the guy I am going with reckons it will be more sheltered for some reason.
As for river fishing, I have not fished one for years, I will have to give it a go when weather picks up.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Forecast actually looks good tomorrow so you shouldn’t have to worry about unpleasant weather. Just about the one nice day this week.

I’d leave it til the new season to try the thames if you haven’t fished a river in a while as it’s tough this time of year. From June to October though it can be fairly easy fishing and is pretty hard to fail on stretches like medley and sandford and tbh most the Oxfordshire Thames as a whole so you won’t be disappointed.

drw

Site Supporter
Fished Medley yesterday it was hard going river very clear and fish would not get their heads down 1 chub 5 bream 3 roach

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Given the conditions I’d say you did well just to catch! It’s clear there most the time tbf so it’ll be more the cold that’s making it difficult.

drw

Site Supporter
I wish it was closer and more accessible I’m sure I could have more with practice !

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’m quite lucky in that’s it’s about a 25 minute drive for me so I fish it quite regularly. Its a lovely venue in summer and autumn and almost it always produces then but its a bit bleak and exposed at this time of year for me. Good on you for braving it and catching.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Went on the canal at Wolvercote lock, only had a few roach between 2oz and 6oz. Alternated between red and white maggot scales down to 0.08 hooklength. All fish were caught on far side up against the tins, Which tested my casting skills.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Depending on what constitutes a few that could be a decent result given the state it’s been in recently. You had a nice day for it and caught a few so not bad for the time of year :)

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Started at around 10.30 and packed up around 2. Had 18 all roach, Nothing doing down the track or alongside towpath tins, was an enjoyable few hours even though I missed a few bites.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Yes, I would have hit more bites if I had pole fished, but today was rod and line day, Next time i go i will travel even lighter, wasnt to bad going down the steps to the lock, going back up them was hard part,