Tips for places to fish near oxfordshire please

MR1993

I'm looking for suggestions on the best places to go fishing near oxfordshire, I've recently moved over from Wales so not too familiar with the area. Thanks in advance!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That’s my patch so I can suggest a few places depending on what types of fishing you do?

If you like river fishing (my favourite) there’s obviously miles of the Thames and some bits of the Cherwell, windrush and evenlode and similarly the canal.

Then for specimen Stillwater fishing you have the linear and linch hill complexes

Mixed fishery stillwaters are a bit thin on the ground but the best two for me are Pimlico Farm and Milton pools.

If you let us know what types of fishing you’re into I can give you more detail on places :)

mbuna_matt

I can second Milton Pools, good memories of starting my youngest fishing there. Had some good matches with the club too.

Similarly the Thames is good @ Dorchester, although my drawing arm hasn't worked and I haven't done so well in the competitions......

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah the fishing at Milton pools is really nice for all sorts of species, just the place itself that isn’t all that appealing being crammed in and next to the motorway.

The Thames is the jewel in the crown of Oxfordshire fishing for me, loads of good stretches like medley, the channel, donnington, sandford, Clifton hampden etc.

mbuna_matt

All species it is - sorry for hijacking post ;-)

Attachments

• Oxford goldfish.jpg
    Oxford goldfish.jpg
    475.8 KB · Views: 4

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I also have moved down to oxford, I joined Newlands Angling club , am looking for a 2nd club to join that has canal stretches, I fished Panshill Fisheries a few months ago, last fished about 12 years ago, It seemed to have deteriorated over the years, Not sure where Milton pools are so could someone enlighten me please, ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Get the littlemore ticket mate got 8 stretches of the Thames, 2 of the canal and 2 of the Cherwell so all the natural venues you could want for £12 a year! Alternatively Kidlington club has the same stretches minus a couple of the Thames ones but plus an extra canal and Cherwell stretch. It’s £20 I believe but adding in the extra cost the extra canal and Cherwell stretches aren’t worth losing the extra Thames stretches on the littlemore ticket for me which is why I usually buy littlemore.

Milton Pools is just off the M40 (literally, only a couple pools are bearable to fish for me due to the noise) a little way past oxford services. Attractive looking lakes with genuinely decent fishing but they are all crammed in next to each other so feels very artificial. Alright for once in a while though for very mixed bags.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Thanks @Silverfisher , I had 4 canals all within a 20 minute drive from where I lived in Warrington, plus club waters and numerous commercials, I will call in Top Tackle or States tackle to get Littlemore card. Are the part of the Oxford district alliance ? Am living in Cowley and still learning what waters are nearby.
Milton pools sounds like Shakerley Mere, that is alongside the M6 near Knutsford in Cheshire.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Littlemore are indeed an ODAA club, if you are in Cowley then all but one of their Thames stretches range from about 3 to 7 miles from you with the remaining Thames stretch and the canal and Cherwell within comfortably within 20 miles. Get it through top tackle as the owner is a very successful match angler on the Oxfordshire Thames circuit so is a very good source of knowledge.

I’m also always happy to answer any questions you may have whenever :)

Steve Lockett

Get the littlemore ticket mate got 8 stretches of the Thames, 2 of the canal and 2 of the Cherwell so all the natural venues you could want for £12 a year! Alternatively Kidlington club has the same stretches minus a couple of the Thames ones but plus an extra canal and Cherwell stretch. It’s £20 I believe but adding in the extra cost the extra canal and Cherwell stretches aren’t worth losing the extra Thames stretches on the littlemore ticket for me which is why I usually buy littlemore.

The canal & Cherwell on this ticket are fishing brilliantly for perch, zander & chub at the minute.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That’s interesting might have to have a go soon then. I know the last match on the canal was a real struggle but there’s been less flood run off since so it makes sense for it to have improved since. There’s another match on it Sunday so be interesting to see how then pans out.

Whereabouts are the chub showing on the Cherwell? Surprising to hear as it’s been near permanently in the fields since November.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Sounds like the part where the canal and river combine for a while. Think that’s below the club waters though, will have to look into it.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Fairly typical narrow canal stretch in most places save for the obviously wider marina and then turning bay a little way up from the marina. I’ve only fished less than a handful of times and not for a few years. Back then I’d pick up small roach, perch and skimmers with bleak and gudgeon on the waggler down the track and a few bigger skimmers/almost proper bream on the feeder up to the boats. I really should fish the canals more but I get a bit addicted to the Thames and Pimlico most the year!

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter

Milton Pools is just off the M40 (literally, only a couple pools are bearable to fish for me due to the noise) a little way past oxford services. Attractive looking lakes with genuinely decent fishing but they are all crammed in next to each other so feels very artificial. Alright for once in a while though for very mixed bags.
I got the Littlemore card and the North Oxford AS card today, both for £12, renew in April and May cheaper than a couple of day tickets,

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah that’s how I’ve always thought of littlemore, costs the same as couple day tickets yet you can easily get it down to a pound a session in a season. Never found much on the north oxford club online though but would be interested in it at that price.

drw

Site Supporter
Going to give Medley a try tomorrow Silverfisher will let you know how I get on

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Good luck hope you catch. Brave man trying there this time of year, the winter fishing can be tough and it’s very exposed! The channel is a good fall back option, bit more shelter and the fish can pack in there.

Not sure where I’m going to go this weekend. Think I’ll do a bit of scouting Saturday to see the state of things to choose a place to fish Sunday as it’s the calmer day.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Yeah that’s how I’ve always thought of littlemore, costs the same as couple day tickets yet you can easily get it down to a pound a session in a season. Never found much on the north oxford club online though but would be interested in it at that price.
According to north oxford card, the society waters are Oxford Canal from Hythe Bridge St Oxford to Butlers bridge in Kidlington.
Dukes Lake.
River Thames. Godstow lock to Kings Weir,towpath side.
Pixie Meadow from flyover bridge to Kings Weir.
Kings Lock to Carrots Ham
St Edward's school boathouse frontage at Godstow.
Also can fish Milton Keynes AA and Northampton Nene AC waters on the Oxford card.
All I have to do now is find out where all the places are on both club cards I got, Newlands re opened yesterday along with Linear from what I heard.