Tips for Barbel on the Ribble Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy Fisher

Im planning on doing some barbel fishing on the river Ribble this year and need some tips on where to fish, when to fish and what baits and tactics work well on this river. You dont need to tell me all your secrets just some good advice.

Thanks.

Mikey A

It depends on where abouts you fish the Ribble mate. I've fished the ribble on and off for years, moslty near Ribchester.

The methods i've used that have caught me Barbel (and big Chub) vary.

Fishing with the feeder rod - luncheon meat (Barbel love it), worms, Maggots (swim feeder).

If you can get a stretch of water that you can wade in and stick float under trees on the far bank is a fantastic way of catching barbel. Freebies of hemp (and maggot/caster) with a hook bait of double maggot on size 18/16.

Hope this helps.

Mikey

Last edited:

fishing_mad

y not try a watch lead used like a method feeder wraped in paste with a 1ft hooklength of 10 or 12lb line and size 10 hook hair rig baited with a john baker frost and flood boilie or two cubes of luncheon meat also if using a john baker frost and flood boilie mould a paste around it the best paste is ground trout pellet with an egg in it

:)Fishing Mad:)

chataholic

quote:Originally posted by Jeremy Fisher

Im planning on doing some barbel fishing on the river Ribble this year and need some tips on where to fish, when to fish and what baits and tactics work well on this river. You dont need to tell me all your secrets just some good advice.

Thanks.
ALSTON IS A GOOD PLACE TO START TRY JUST BELOW THE PIPE BRIDGE WHEN THE LEVEL IS NORMAL OR NEAR THE STYLE TWO FIELDS BELOW WHEN THE RIVER IS FINING DOWN OR COLOURED[:D]

AL_Peters

'The Entertainer'
Bonsai for me it's prolific when it's on as for tatics I prefer flavoured meat and to put a good bed of hemp down and i half fill my swimfeeder with pellets and caster make the holes a little bigger and the flow will do the rest mate.

Also treat your self to a Warrington card if your going to fish the Ribble a lot they have a stretch called Barbel corner and the time to fish it is at Night a couple of my mates fish this stretch 3 times a week and they love it.

Happiness is playin wif yer rod

Last edited:

joe1987

'Darwener'
Me + percher tried on the bonsai last tuesday. Every1 blanked.

Get them rods bent, get them reels screamin', get fishin!
Toodlepip **Joe-boy**

AL_Peters

'The Entertainer'
The whole rivers fishing slow Joe we blanked at tickled trout to.

Happiness is playin wif yer rod

The percher

Bolton 'till I die
Hi al
Wen we went, there was little to no current until 3 quarters of the way out, making it impossible to use a stick foat. Is it like this all the time or just recently?

joe1987

'Darwener'
Well it's nice to know it wasn't our fault then!!!

Get them rods bent, get them reels screamin', get fishin!
Toodlepip **Joe-boy**

Status
Not open for further replies.