tips for a commercial fishery

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob27

peg nine
Hi everybody,
Going to a fishery for the second time tommorow- first time didn't catch a thing so advice is needed....please

(1) What shape pole float should I use ?(I have loads of pole floats but unsure of shape to use)

(2) What shotting pattern should I use?

(3)What depth should i start at?

(4)I regulary fish a canal and the baits I use are Sweetcorn, maggots and bread - any other baits I should use -(if I use pellets (are they any good?), which I have never used before, do I use a pellet band and I assume that you must have a pair of forceps to put these on the hook unless using soft ones?)

(5) I also own a quiver tip is this worth a go?

(6)Any general tips?

Thanks for your help on any of the above

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Rob

Sorry i can't help you much with pole fishing cos i don't do it (shut it scoobs).

I'd recommend meat,pellet (most pellet bands you just push on the pellet & the hook goes through a little tag), bread & maggot.

Without knowing which fishery,stock,type of water etc i can't really be any more help.

I'd definetly give the rod a try with a ledger & meat on it just drop it in & leave it till a fish finds the bait.

Tight lines mate hope you catch a PB.

Alan

I'll have a fiver on the black un

jonesr

Rob.What sort of pole? Will it stand up to Carp fishing.It needs to be able to take at least a 10/12 elastic.Dependant on what size the Carp are.
Floats, make sure they are carbon stemmed.Floats are made for Carp fishing,believe me they need to be.
Make your rigs to allow for about 2/6 inches to lay on the bottom.You can shallow up later if need be.
No fancy hook lenghts go at least 3/5lb or higher if the fish are into double figures,and make sure the hooks are up to the job.

I often rig up with 6lb straight through to a 12 if using meat or worm.

But a lot depends on your pole!

Believe me if the pole isnt right you will only have the feeder to fish with!!!!

RonJ

scoobs11

not gonna say a word troggy (knowing wink)

i'll have a fiver on the brown one

scoobs11

forgot to say try juicy pellets by vde as a starting point

i'll have a fiver on the brown one

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Rob

If it is a local fishery you will be going to send me an E-Mail, if I haven't fished it I will know somebody who has.

Geoff

RSSG member - are you?
Clean Banks Campaign member

martin.

Account Locked
hi my best tip for a comercial fishery is fillem in stick to the rivers & canals LOL

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

granjuiceymoose

'Grinch'
The best thing to do on commercial fisheries is to feed more than one line so if bites dry up on your main line you can fish elsewhere, that should ensure a seady stream of fish all day long :) But keep feeding all lines because the fish may return or start feeding again. Best thing to do tho is to stick with the rivers far more fun!

cosmicgunge

chrismarklong

You should plum the depth using a plum weight which you can by cheaply at most tackle shops.

Quiver tips are good but aren't any good if you are floating but if you are just casting bait or using swim feeders then they are great.

For bait, try mixing up some homemade pastes. If you mix things like pate with flour and water then you can get some good results.

watty

First bit of advice, ditch the pole and get yourself a decent float rod, secondly start your day by plumbing the depth, if you don't know how to then follow this link,
http://www.coarsefish.com/Photo_Tips.htm
On commercial fisheries I usually take maggot, worm, hemp, corn, luncheon meat, these should be sufficient for a day out or phone the fishery before you go and ask the manager whats best, hope this helps, and have a great day,
Watty.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Without knowing the fishery,or any details with regards to the fish stocked etc,it's almost impossible to answer.
However i'd be tempted to go with a small inline method feeder,with either hair rigged meat or corn on a 3 inch hooklink,just to try and get an idea of what's in there.
If you can give us some more details of the venue,perhaps we can come up with a more positive plan.

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Status
Not open for further replies.