Tip sensitivity!

RMNDIL

Site Supporter
You can get soft carbon and stiff glass (especially low resin rod). The hollow carbon tips can be bent alarmingly before any breakage. Given, carbon is more springy. But when being pulled forward 1oz test curve is 1oz test curve no matter the material. Taper would be another thing entirely. Lots of fast taper tips get broken towards the tip eye (between tip eye and 1st intermediate) because the space or gap is too big.

W

Whitty

I prefer slower taper tips in glass,for everything other than fishing for drop backs on rivers,acolyte tips break for England from what people I know tell me,I know it is often twist around the tip,but they didnt break like that with glass tips and strangely fish still pull them round at less than half the price,odd that,lol...

RMNDIL

Site Supporter
I too prefer slow taper for most fishing. Perhaps it's just what I have been used to for decades. Fast taper are good when you are getting and/or expecting short fast bites, little taps. It shows them up better. A lot of the whole tip moves/gets pulled with slow taper and can make spotting shyer bites a bit more difficult as too much material is moving at the same time. But a downside with fast taper is that the thicker/stiffer part of the tip comes into play earlier and can give too much resistance too soon and so cause bites not developing further. But I don't watch the tip I watch the guides and the space between the guides getting bigger (hopefully). Which is why I also don't care what colour they're painted. But for rod in the air & drop backs nothing beats carbon. They don't bounce around in the wind as much for one thing. And it reacts quicker.

My favourite rods have 3/4oz and 1oz carbon tips - 10'/11' Ultralight Bomb/Feeder rods - based on very old Conoflex blanks I built when I was a teenager.

However for a rod on a rack in a shop nothing beats carbon tips. Weigh less, are faster recovering & work with the blank better when giving the 'ultimate' waggle test ! Glass waft around much more, bounce and you can actually feel the extra weight. It's very noticeable. Even though we're going to end up putting them on a rest an we won't feel it.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Just based on the rods I have, taper plays a large part, and ratings are as far out as hook sizes.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Mine aren't. They're correct.
Must just be me. If I actually tested them they might come out correct, but taper and other factors means I have for example a 2.5oz Tricast tip that seems much heavier than a 3.5oz Greys tip, to give an example.

RMNDIL

Site Supporter
If the factory (or brand, importer) bothered to make them right they'd be right. Even differences of 1/4oz are possible so long as you keep using the same glass & same carbon grades & mixes. If you get a batch of glass from X and then another batch of glass (same diameter) from Y and just grind them the same there is a fair chance you'll end up with different tips.