Tip sensitivity!

Fishinmaddad

So I broken the 1st eye on my feeder tip, my question is I've cut it back to the next eye so A will this be OK.
B does it lose much if any sensitivity?
It's a 1oz Tip
TIA
Paul

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
I've done the same to two tyson and one tri cast, use the cut down tips when sensitivity is less of an issue, method feeder, longer range for bigger fish, river when there is a bit of water on, no problems like has been said sand off and rough edges and put a spot of glue to seal.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
So I broken the 1st eye on my feeder tip, my question is I've cut it back to the next eye so A will this be OK.
B does it lose much if any sensitivity?
It's a 1oz Tip
TIA
Paul
Many years ago the MAP parabolix special edition feeder rod I own had lifetime warranty on the tips.
The lightest tip - carbon was very delicate.
I didnt shop at the Ultimate tackle brand dealer in our town at the time but the owner soon got to know me.
At least once a month I went in for a replacement tip.
Feeder braid and a mono leader - any tiny bit of rubbish on the knot jammed in the eye.
Eventually MAP run out of spares and advised shops to tell users to cut back the carbon tips to second eye.
Never broke one since!

JRW

Site Supporter
It will be fine unless you have OCD.

I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve done this and it’s always the 1oz tip. After the repair the rod is 1.75in shorter and behaves like it has a 1.5oz tip fitted. So out comes the 1.5oz tip supplied with the rod until the new 1oz tip is delivered. The repaired tip works fine but it goes back into its tube never to be used again.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
Many years ago the MAP parabolix special edition feeder rod I own had lifetime warranty on the tips.
I didnt shop at the Ultimate tackle brand dealer in our town at the time but the owner soon got to know me.
Feeder braid and a mono leader - any tiny bit of rubbish on the knot jammed in the eye.
Eventually MAP run out of spares and advised shops to tell users to cut back the carbon tips to second eye.
Never broke one since!
That’s why I never use long lengths of shock leader, 4ft is the maximum I’d use, I hate knots going through my rod rings. I’ve watched the Jon aurthur video at tamar in the feedermasters final, every time he casts, I cringe as I can hear the knots going through the rod eyes, disaster waiting to happen.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
When I first bought the TFG 10' commercial tip rod, the 3oz carbon tip was damaged (cracked). After a complaint, the tip was replaced F.O.C but I had to pay the postage. No issues since,

Total

Site Supporter
Never broke one since!
And they made you give the rod back?:unsure::whistle::ROFLMAO:.....£200 (ish) rod, £6,000 in tips!:love::ROFLMAO:

Total

Site Supporter
That’s why I never use long lengths of shock leader, 4ft is the maximum I’d use, I hate knots going through my rod rings. I’ve watched the Jon aurthur video at tamar in the feedermasters final, every time he casts, I cringe as I can hear the knots going through the rod eyes, disaster waiting to happen.
Just enough shock leader to create your rig....I'm utilising this more and more on my feeder rigs these days when natural water fishing and braid main lines....On commercials, unless I'm fishing silly distances, I'll fish straight through, no shock leader....

W

Whitty

My argument with carbon tips,the material is brittle by nature,they make them superfine to make you believe they are more sensative,yet glass is far softer,the same t.c. tip,say 1.5oz is thicker yet not so springy,being thicker it is easier to see and less likely to break,biggest con in angling imo...

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
And they made you give the rod back?:unsure::whistle::ROFLMAO:.....£200 (ish) rod, £6,000 in tips!:love::ROFLMAO:
£300 rod - cost me around £30 (factory price).
I was able to buy alot of kit at trade price but with the Original parabolix range I had done Madisons a favour and they allowed me to purchase £900 of rods for £90 including postage.
Small bits and bobs being tested I could keep but anything larger over a certain value had to be sent back but at times again could buy at factory price.
Happy days back then kit (price) wise.

Last edited: