Times like this

Northantslad

'Any indications?
You realise that football is in a bit of a state really. Terrible to hear the news about these clubs and to hear fans and people associated with the clubs and what their club means/meant to them. Feel for them.

Its all proportional, we are going to pay 250k wages to a player still on loan who it seems isn't needed-Sanchez. That seems a mess in itself to me.

I then got to feeling how under Sir Alex and previous owners we were so spoilt and lucky that all the right elements came along at the same time, no on going soap operas, no speculation about players for months and with young football hungry players coming through and being able to win alongside more experienced players with a hunger too. Back pages every day 'is he' isn't he'; back in the good old days, there would be one back page headline the player has gone and then you had to wait for the biography to find out the true details.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Not true though NL or have you forgotten the Beckham Bootgate and Fergies disapproval of his relationship with Posh Spice,or maybe Kung Fu Cantona that never left the media for months,or maybe madman Roy's weekly culinary reviews and very vociferous disapproval of his fellow players,or Roy again when he ended Haalands career, and on an on.

All successful clubs will attract media attention because it sells but to say United didn't have any ongoing soap operas is selling the club short

Oh and as for transfer soap operas - Can Mr A . Shearer please step forward :)

Last edited:

Wise Owl

Account Locked
No mate he is still laughing at the ones who thought he would be upset by being called a desert head ?

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Someone has their selective memory engaged.

Football club finances have been a murky mess for decades. Pro Football clubs have gone bust before, even if it's difficult to tell and they do their best to airbrush it from history when they continue in another form. The most notable new company clubs are arguably Rangers and Middlesbrough. There are quite a few more though, Scarborough, Darlington, Rushden & Diamonds and Kettering Town. The likes of Chelsea, Leeds and Coventry have come perilously close to going under.

Players have been paid ridiculous amounts for decades. The numbers get bigger, but just how ridiculous they are doesn't really change. Transfer sagas, player scandals, indifferent players etc are nothing new. The only real difference, between now and twenty-plus years back, is the wall to wall coverage and the internet. These days, if a player commits some indiscretion on a night out, it'll be photographed, or videoed, on a phone and plastered all over social media in minutes. People make good money out of "journalism" and websites dedicated to football transfer gossip. The fact that an awful lot of it is speculative, or even totally made up, seems immaterial.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
I remember them yes @Lee Richards , i also remember Beckham not being there for long afterwards. What aided his departure by one account was attempts at making his new shaved head haircut a media guessing game for an unveiling. I also remember Cantona's episode too and was rightly backed by a manager, who knew with spot on judgement when to back a player and when a player had made themselves un-backable. The media may have reported on such things for as long as they wished, but they weren't making or influencing any difficult decisions taken. We knew Beckham was on his way out when he was sat in the stands for the cup tie, decision made, may be agreed to by both parties after the boot incident.

Did the dramas, episodes, incidents, how the club was owned/ran,transfer policy impact on the results and success back then? No, because the majority of those factors worked fine and they were dealt with the person who ran the place and had the purse strings. The fact i couldn't tell you who that is in plenty of clubs, just backs up, clubs and football is in a mess. Mine is little different, just proportionally same mess, less risk at the moment.

What's to say if MDs is still around in 50 years (hopefully so) that people aren't talking about Utd in difficulty, 70k seater stadium a with a few thousand sat in it, hovering near the conference, when the 250k we paid a player to not be there would be very handy.

Last edited:

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Ironically, with Coventry coming close to trouble, wasn't it Jimmy Hill, whilst at Coventry, who bucked the wages trend back in the day?

160642fishing

Site Supporter
From Sam Vines post

'The likes of Chelsea, Leeds and Coventry have come perilously close to going under'

How close did Blackpool come thanks to the Oystens ?

Wise Owl

Account Locked
We were by a cats Cock hair mate, it weren't nice and i wouldn't want it to happen to any team, but with money controlling it its only to be expected its gonna happen.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Its really what I would like to try and get to the bottom of wisey.

I see it, may be wrongly as if I hoard, eat or split the baked beans between those two aspects or if there are no beans coming in, the outcome is the same. Are these things purely down to the beans coming in and someone taking a liking to them, instead of putting them on the toast, but then also having the cake for pudding? Do some clubs just have a bigger tin of beans in the weekly shopping or a larger capability to generate more beans? At some clubs, do the beans just keep turning up?

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Or expecting the contents of a small tin of beans to keep filling one of those large tins? Small tin is full with small contents and doing ok, but not in one of those big tins.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
I like to put a small tin in a chilli, but if I struggled to keep up the heady heights of chilli, I would have to re-think the strategy and just be prepared to have them on toast. If I kept trying to put them in the chilli but in smaller amounts, it wouldn't work.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
As an addition to the likes of Leeds,Chelsea and Coventry

My apologies for leaving Blackpool out, but I wasn't even attempting to list every club that has come close to going bust. There are most certainly more than the three I did mention, including Blackpool.

H T B

Site Supporter
My beloved Leicester went into administration, and close to going out of business.
During those torrid times, I was asked, who are you going to support, if Leicester go under?

At the time, I was coaching a local teams' kids.
My answer was their senior team and England.

I could not support any team with the same amount of fervour, passion, emotion, enthusiasm, etc that I have for my home team.
As the saying goes, you can change your car, you can change your wife (partner!), but you can't change your football team.

So a question to all you football supporters, if your team went under, who would you support ? [or could you]

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Just England and my lads team and may be go and watch some local football.
Could i turn that question around? Would a team go under if the fans kept turning out regardless of how well they were doing and irrespective of the league they were in/standard they were at? Can fans be expected to keep going when things are clearly wrong?