Times are a changin?

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Had read and heard similar, may be originating from that story.
Always take some maggots and have a silvers line;)

nico12

Grebe Grabber
I think a fair few people ( pleasure anglers too) are the same. Thinking back to maybe 20 years ago the lure of a Commercial readily stocked with Stockies / Carp was hard to resist. Poles were tailored to that style of fishing gradually & over the years the stock grew along with the kit to catch them better / quicker/ baits to help etc..... I think its levelled off now....limited innovation around and in a nutshell people have sort of ' done it' ( regardless of your ability). Tackle trade to a degree kept alive by the increase in Carp style match kit.
Unless you are match fishing you also reach a stage where the Carp occasionally become 'too big' for risking some kit and you end up between Match and Carp styles of catching same fish.
My last couple of sessions have been shorter Silvers sessions on light elastics and pole. Really enjoyed the change. A few carp in the lake but mainly Crucian / Skimmers / Roach etc.

On my local less proficient newer anglers can easily catch Carp to 18lb or so by simply throwing a Boilie / Large bait on an alarm......not sure where you go from there if that's all you've done.....

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Am a subscriber to the AT so read this a couple of weeks ago and it got me thinking. I think matches are one of the few things that would get me excited about fishing commercials again. That and in colder weather when chopped worm and the like might be more important but I'd still be more likely to fish ones with a good variety of silverfish. I like the not knowing what to expect aspect of fishing other venues, with commercials it can get a bit samey.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Am a subscriber to the AT so read this a couple of weeks ago and it got me thinking. I think matches are one of the few things that would get me excited about fishing commercials again. That and in colder weather when chopped worm and the like might be more important but I'd still be more likely to fish ones with a good variety of silverfish. I like the not knowing what to expect aspect of fishing other venues, with commercials it can get a bit samey.

That's one of the reasons I like a carping session. I'm not an out and out carp angler, but welcome the change from my usual silvers. After all, just because I have a couple of carp rods out doesn't mean that carp are the only fish that go for the baits. It's that unexpected lump of a Bream or Tench too.

johng19

me@home.com
I really don't think so try getting on a commercial on a Sunday, if you not in a match.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
That's one of the reasons I like a carping session. I'm not an out and out carp angler, but welcome the change from my usual silvers. After all, just because I have a couple of carp rods out doesn't mean that carp are the only fish that go for the baits. It's that unexpected lump of a Bream or Tench too.

I was going to say on your Trent session, why not just stick it out for Barbel if you had a few lost? I had a couple of lovely Roach including a PB on Severn.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I was going to say on your Trent session, why not just stick it out for Barbel if you had a few lost? I had a couple of lovely Roach including a PB on Severn.

The reason being is that it was just one hit early on the session. I had 2 Barbel rods out and nothing else hit those rods. So (in my not so infinite wisdom) thought I'd have a go at 'wag and mag' tactics. The problem was that I didn't have any rods or reels with me to do it. So took the feeder off one rod, put on a 3AAA waggler float and stepped the hook down to a size 16. Roach, Perch, and Dace were soon being unhooked. Now, I don't know if you have tried running a waggler down the Trent (or any other river) using a 1.75tc Barbel rod, a Shimano 8000 bait runner, and 10lb main line, but it isn't as easy as it sounds, problems 'mending' the line in the wind and flow was one problem, especially as it was sinking line.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Silvers matches and silvers payouts in open matches have never gone away down here.....

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
when i used to fish 15 plus years ago used to fish some commercials but because of working full time only could fish sundays which where always matched up so fished more rivers fishing one rod for silvers and one for pike.
Fished a couple of matches with my dads work club one carp lake was next to trent nobody out of 20 anglers had a bite i ended up after 2 hours going over the banking and fishing the trent for last 2 hours catching a few roach on caster another carp match lake near shireoaks same happened there only thing that was hooked was a duck that was a long time ago now rather pick my own swim so if i blank its my own fault might try matches again but not every week

ukzero1

Site Supporter
As most will know on here, I make my own floats and tinker with others, always looking for that little improvement. I find commercials ideal for that. It doesn't matter if I blank, it's the gear I'm testing, not the fish. Now I know some of you will be thinking that a float is just that...a float, so how can they be improved? Wrong, some floats come with a loading of.. for example..5BB, now I've had floats rated that and have gone under with that amount of shot (and it's not a fish). I know I can enter a match, using a float that I've either made myself or made adjustment to, knowing that when shotting it, it's going to balance perfectly.
Look at your session as a learning point, be it a match or a pleasure session.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
It raises the question, "If you could succeed everytime that you did it would you keep on doing it"?
When I lived in Penzance there were at least three commercials that come to mind that were over-stuffed with hungry match sized Carp. I never went after the first two times, it was just too easy to catch them and too hard to get through the to the other fish.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I like to fish for other species other than carp and it REALLY P****s me off when they show up and mug the other fish off the bait... when that happens I move or go home... I'm sick of having a good roach line ruined by carp, I like to fish with fine lines small floats and hooks from time to time and you cannot do that on carp stocked waters... carp are one of the reasons I have jacked match fishing in

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I used to purposely feed a carp line with a catty in sllvers only matches just to keep them away from my silvers lines.

smiffy

Site Supporter
I really don't think so try getting on a commercial on a Sunday, if you not in a match.
I have a tendency to agree. I’d love to be able to go back to having a choice to fish either a drain,canal,lake or river of a weekend but I’ve yet to see it happen. With an ageing angling population I can’t see people wanting to go back to lugging their gear along a dodgy,muddy path when they can park behind their pegs.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Arry - I'm the same find it so annoying when carp trash the swim or break you up whilst fishing for silvers. Luckily it doesn't happen to me too often as I mostly fish on rivers (problem changes to pike then!) and on the one Stillwater I fish regularly I only hook on average one carp a day which I can put up with. I do get some funny looks when I strike into a rogue carp and starting cussing when the majority of the other anglers there are trying to catch them!

smiffy

Site Supporter
Silvers matches and silvers payouts in open matches have never gone away down here.....
Same here. There always used to be a separate payout for the best silvers weight. What the article suggests,and I’d love to see happen,is that people are moving back to natural venues where Carp don’t need to be excluded. Fingers crossed,my elastics are a least 8years old?

map

Question. - Do you all think that the carp in these venues are now to big for a match angler ? Is it there size and the tackle required that's putting people off ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Could be the case. I tend to think of match carp as being in the 4 to 8 pound bracket which most people can handle on all but the lightest tackle which means you can fish for multiple species with the same gear. These days a lot of places have plenty of double figure fish which do need heavier gear to tame.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I had one of my best sessions at Eye Kettleby fishing one of the lakes that I don't usually fish. Despite the lake I ended up on being a mixed carp & silvers lake the carp stayed away that day, not that I missed them, I was too busy catching skimmers/small bream at distance and close in catching crucians / roach & perch in very shallow water close in. Towards the end I was trying different approaches trying to target the better stamp of each species.