Time to get back on the bank.....

Ron_65

Hi, first post, my apologies if it's a bit of a ramble.

To cut a long story short(ish) I used to be be a keen angler. By keen I mean, a member of three clubs, sat on one club committee, did working parties, match fishing one or both days of every weekend with short sessions in between. Weekend and occasional weeks away just fishing, the usual obsessive I guess. Then about 8 years my dad got dementia and, as he was the person I went fishing with mainly, I packed it all in, sold all of my gear and decided not to go again whilst he was stuck in a care home. The inevitable has happened of course, he's died and just as inevitably over the past few weeks I've got the bug back again and want to get out again.

Anyway, the post isn't about that that shitty disease or my decision, just wanted to explain why I have no clue about the current angling scene but that I should be capable of getting myself sorted after getting a few pointers. So I have a few questions please?

I used to live in Altrincham so the clubs I was in had waters centred around that area however now I live in Lancashire, few miles from Oldham, does anyone have any recommendations for places to go for a kick off nearer this end? Maybe a club or two to join with decent waters, are syndicate waters still a (rare) thing? I'm not interested in the match or social scene yet although that's a buzz I can see dragging me back in eventually.

To start at least I'd be happier sitting in a quiet place getting the odd bite on a float than I would be catching carp after carp out of a commercial but won't rule anywhere out and I don't mind travelling an hour or two to the right place. I've sat for days and nights for carp and pike but again, not for me just yet, I'd like to get the basics back first.

Where do people get gear and bait from these days? I used to go to Trafford Angling or the place that was at Stapeley Water Gardens but Trafford has been gone for a while now I believe and I'm not sure bout the other. I'll pick up some gear to get me started again from Ebay although, I can't lie, I'm a tackle whore so it'll take a while to get back to a similar set up to that I sold off a few years back. In hindsight, selling my tackle boxes full of terminal gear was a big mistake, easy enough to get new rods/reels etc. I guess but putting back together all the bits and bobs is going to be a royal pain in the a***.

Any current You-Tubers worth following? I think I 'm out of touch but I do like to watch decent content. I read earlier that that I lake I used to fish, with bread flake and caster, has recently banned the use of anything over 3oz leads. My first thought was "wtf, 3oz? on a lake? thats sea fishing gear" I know I'm out of touch and maybe missing something..

Is there a bigger problem with poachers, thieves and ****heads generally on waters nowadays? I know that it was always there but seem to have come across more posts about that than I thought I would. If so anywhere in particular to avoid or is it just to take the usual common sense approach?

Sorry, thats some text wall...

Cheers

Edited for shocking spelling...

PAB

Site Supporter
Just keep a watch on this site and all your questions will be more than answered as for where do people shop now I use Angling direct on line and pop into my local one I am lucky as they are full of local knowledge here, I also have started to use Bobco as they are very competitive and as for bait it is the same. Good luck and welcome back I have often wondered what it must be like to walk into a tackle shop now and see all the different baits it must be stagaring if you have not been in one for a while.

Dusty

Welcome to the forum. Information is very easy to come by both on here and on YouTube.
In terms of people to watch you will find informative videos from all the major suppliers such as Preston, Maver, Matrix etc on all manner of methods.
I get a lot of my gear from Angling Direct, they aren’t everyone’s cup of tea but I’ve found them to be very competitive in terms of price.
I wouldn’t say poachers and knobheads are a massive issue, fortunately I’ve never had any issues with either whilst fishing. You will find a lot of modern commercial fisheries are relatively safe, a lot of clubs have gated complexes etc.

Have a look in the classifieds here for tackle as well, there is always a bargain to be had.

I don’t think things will have changed too much in the last 8 years. The basics remain the same there might just be a few products you are unaware of.

Nicky Dodds

Danny's angling blog, Jamie Harrison for feeder fishing, Jon Arthur, bobbletv, all the cadence fishing tv videos are excellent. For sheer enthusiasm Adams fishing adventures. And if you want to reminisce and be entertained apollo36uk.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Hello mate and welcome to the forum, you will find some great people on here and I am sure all of your questions will be answered. Are you looking at setting up with Pole/Match gear or are you starting off again with traditional rod and reel?

If it's match style fishing you are thinking of make sure that you check out Neil of the Nene's blog; it contains some very useful information.

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Have you thought about the Rochdale Canal, lots of free fishing and theres a good head of all species and I believe theres an angling club around the Chadderton area with their own fishing on the canal for not a lot of money per year

Ron_65

Thanks everyone, not least for the warm welcome. Lot's to be going on with there and some really good pointers. I'm already enjoying some of the media suggested.

To answer a question or two, I often used the pole when match fishing although I'll probably get the gear to set me up with rod&reel first. Method fishing was a thing when I packed up and I did have some sucess therefore, most likely, I'll go that route to start with and maybe start with a couple of commercials to get my eye back in. I know fishing commercials isn't a guaranteed catch however at least they might be a bit more predictable in terms of bait & tactics if I ask around first.

I might look at going back to Docklow, I spent at least a week there every year, plus going back for days and for some club matches since Mike? and Josie? extended the single farm pond. It was only a single small lake first stocked with baby carp and we went over the years as it slowly transformed into the monster it is now. I think the last time I was there though the Major Bill pond had only just been dug and stocked (with catfish maybe?) so no doubt its different again.

As for canals, I've fished them and wouldnt ever rule them out, just maybe not yet, they always seem tougher to fish than they should be for me in terms of getting organised and into a decent rhythm.

Thanks again,

Dusty

Thanks everyone, not least for the warm welcome. Lot's to be going on with there and some really good pointers. I'm already enjoying some of the media suggested.

To answer a question or two, I often used the pole when match fishing although I'll probably get the gear to set me up with rod&reel first. Method fishing was a thing when I packed up and I did have some sucess therefore, most likely, I'll go that route to start with and maybe start with a couple of commercials to get my eye back in. I know fishing commercials isn't a guaranteed catch however at least they might be a bit more predictable in terms of bait & tactics if I ask around first.

I might look at going back to Docklow, I spent at least a week there every year, plus going back for days and for some club matches since Mike? and Josie? extended the single farm pond. It was only a single small lake first stocked with baby carp and we went over the years as it slowly transformed into the monster it is now. I think the last time I was there though the Major Bill pond had only just been dug and stocked (with catfish maybe?) so no doubt its different again.

As for canals, I've fished them and wouldnt ever rule them out, just maybe not yet, they always seem tougher to fish than they should be for me in terms of getting organised and into a decent rhythm.

Thanks again,

You can pick up some brilliant gear for quite cheap nowadays. A decent small feeder rod might only set you back £30-£35.
Further to this the standard of pre-tied hooklengths has also greatly improved, many manufacturers such as Guru do their own which work out at about £2.75 for 10 method feeder hooklengths.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum Ron :band: . I took up fishing again about the time you packed in. Nothing has changed much in that time so you’ll soon get back into it. A lot of tackle shops have closed down and big stores with an online presence have taken over. I can also recommend Bobco and Angling Direct. I use both regularly, plus Willy Worms for bait. There are some good used prices around for poles and seatboxes, they always seem to sell fairly cheaply on eBay if you keep your eyes open. I have never found there to be any thugs or anti-social types where we live.

Hope you manage to get kitted out and enjoy your fishing and participating on maggotdrowners.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I returned to fishing properly again after about a 15 year break less than a year ago and have already learned more from this forum than I did in all the years previous. Hope you enjoy your stay! :) I am slowly building my tackle back up again mostly from Bobco and Angling Direct as other people say.