'Time Bomb' method

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Tomorrow is all about catching my dad his first Barbel. We’ll only be there for the morning as he won’t last a full day but I’m hopeful as the river should be a good level. He’s been about 6 times now and not caught. Some of them only couple of hour sessions mind, a couple at the start of the season, and others when the rivers been a bit low. So tomorrow is the one I’m most hopeful for. Will put him on a good peg and hope the cold hasn’t effected the fishing.

Got some stinky groundbait, I think it’s Explosive Caster, but not sure as it’s been in the freezer for two week. Hooks tied. Hemp cooked. Alarm set.

bluemack

Site Supporter
A fair approach, small pellets all the way now for us.
However if you are in one of the better pegs, you might be asked to move with such a light hooklength. Purely on fish welfare grounds of course and nothing to do with freeing up the peg..;)
To be fair i did omit to say only use in pegs that are snag free.:)

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Fingers x'd for your Dad Zerkalo. (y)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Thanks everyone. My dad caught one, only a small one about 4lb but I'm glad he did. I blanked in the meantime. Can't really understand it as river is looking good, up about 2 or 3 foot, and it's been a perfect overcast day.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
To be fair i did omit to say only use in pegs that are snag free.:)

You did. I think some of the snags must move down there. If conditions are spot on for example, you would be amazed at how many normally snag free pegs actually have snags in apparently.
Not unheard of, of course, the number of times it has been strange when you have a snag free day, no problem, then all of a sudden and casting to the same spot, you then have a run of snags.

bluemack

Site Supporter
You did. I think some of the snags must move down there. If conditions are spot on for example, you would be amazed at how many normally snag free pegs actually have snags in apparently.
Not unheard of, of course, the number of times it has been strange when you have a snag free day, no problem, then all of a sudden and casting to the same spot, you then have a run of snags.
Funny you say that ,i fished Stratford Rec on wednesday, fished for hours without hitting any snags then hit a snag on
3 successive trots,running through the same spot i,d beeen fishing all day,so i think you may be right mate .