Tier 4 – “Can I still Take a Friend Fishing!?”

Angling Trust

RSS Feed

The popular ‘Take a Friend Fishing’ initiative is here again this Christmas, backed by the Environment Agency to help support anglers who want to introduce a mate.

But…
Q: Can you still Take a Friend Fishing if you are in Tier 4?
A: Yes! You can still Take a Friend Fishing if you are in Tier 4.

• Fishing is an ‘outdoor recreation’ that you can do with one other person, not in your household or support bubble.
  • Angling remains a permissible activity and a ‘reasonable excuse’ to be outside of your home (..although you should return home at the end of your trip).
  • You can leave home for the purpose of: “…spending time or exercising outdoors. This should be done locally wherever possible, but you can travel a short distance within your Tier 4 area to do so if necessary (for example, to access an open space)”.
  • We want anglers to continue to enjoy their fishing safely but please do so as locally as possible whatever tier you are living in.
  • You can download a copy of these Tier 4 guidelines here.
  • The rules for Tiers 1, 2 & 3 remain in place and can be found here.
  • You can download and store on your mobile a copy of our ‘Angling and the Law in England under Covid rules’ – useful to refer to if challenged on travel or night fishing.
  • Details of Covid restrictions and how they affect angling in Wales can be found here.

Read the FULL Angling Trust guidelines for fishing in Tier 4.

Read the FULL Government Guidance.

To take part, visit www.takeafriendfishing.org.uk, select the date of your fishing trip, enter some basic info about you and your friend, and away you go! Applying at is easy – the free fishing licence will be sent with a confirmation email, so please remember to have the angler’s fishing licence, both people’s email addresses and the date of the trip ready when you register.

The Take a Friend Fishing campaign is a partnership between the Angling Trades Association, the Environment Agency and the Angling Trust – it’s designed to give more people the chance to get into fishing.

Relaunched in 2020, over 4,000 people have already taken part in Take a Friend Fishing this year alone! A great sign that angling is as popular as ever, and still just as easy to get into, especially with a friend to show you how.

Related Reads:

The post Tier 4 – “Can I still Take a Friend Fishing!?” appeared first on Angling Trust.

Continue reading...

richox12

Surely you cannot travel to the venue with them in the same car unless (perhaps) if they are part of your (and you their) bubble ? Otherwise you must keep apart and as the rules say only meet with one other person outdoors.

Fishing with and actually taking someone are different surely ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Not something I have to worry about as none of my current friends are remotely interested in coarse fishing so seeing as we can't get to the coast there is no danger of me taking a friend fishing any time soon. In terms of fishing friends I'm a bit Billy no mates if you exclude family 😅

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
im in same boat freind who likes to sea fishing wont go coarse fishing as he likes to catch bigger fish and got bored catching small fish from a pond

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
im in same boat freind who likes to sea fishing wont go coarse fishing as he likes to catch bigger fish and got bored catching small fish from a pond
I think with my mates they just prefer sea fishing as it’s a bit of an adventure going away for a few days then getting out on a boat. Don’t think the fish come into it that much although it definitely doesn’t do any harm that they tend to be bigger and in their minds more exciting than coarse fish.

It’s a shame as would be nice if some of them had an interest in coarse fishing. A few of them did in their teens but had drifted away from it by their 20s.