Thursday vote

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Anyone else not bothering?
The way they’ve acted over brexit has put me off. Never again will I vote, all a bunch of smacked arses. Didn’t win the vote so they block it all together. I’d expect better behaviour from 7ye olds.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
wrong, so wrong

theres been many in the past that wish for the freedom to vote as you have

the fight for the common man to have a say in his future hs been long and hard

from a civil war to starvation and living in hovels

not to vote is to disrespect those that died or were imprisoned, transported to the colonies or suffered to gain that right

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Should broad politics be taught at school? Most kids leave without a clue what their political inclinations are, which is why so many of them just follow their parents.

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
Should broad politics be taught at school? Most kids leave without a clue what their political inclinations are, which is why so many of them just follow their parents.
'Politics taught in school', I think that's a non-starter. Who's politics would they teach?

A better subject to teach would be morals, respect and responsibility, then they might be able to make a better judgement regarding politics and in life. A good start would be to ban religion in schools.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
'Politics taught in school', I think that's a non-starter. Who's politics would they teach?

A better subject to teach would be morals, respect and responsibility, then they might be able to make a better judgement regarding politics and in life. A good start would be to ban religion in schools.
Morals, respect etc are part of the curriculum, along with British values. What I meant was 'broad' politics eg what the major parties stand for, how parliament works, how it links in with the lords and the crown, what is a 'whip' etc etc.

I once did a quiz with some 15 year olds, one of the questions was "what is the job of the person who lives at number 11 Downing street". One girl replied "how am I supposed to know that, I'm not from around here":cry:

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Mick
I know what you are saying but what’s the point ?
The country voted leave and the remainders won’t allow it! Surely that’s wrong.
So if the country votes Green Party will the others except it or start throwing toys around?
The Politicians aren’t worth the effort

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Mick
I know what you are saying but what’s the point ?
The country voted leave and the remainders won’t allow it! Surely that’s wrong.
So if the country votes Green Party will the others except it or start throwing toys around?
The Politicians aren’t worth the effort

This is probably the only time that I have had a strong opinion in politics, we voted to leave and leave we should, we elect politicions as representatives not dictators. When the Lib Dems say they would revoke article 50 and Labour say have another vote with remain on the ballot paper. How can they start preaching Democracy? They have already proven that they have scant regard for it. Boris, whether you love him or hate him, is at least trying to carry out the wishes of the people. For the other parties to say he has failed is, IMO, ludicrous it is the other parties that have stymied him at every turn.

It is a bit like 2 kids tossing a coin, when one loses and says "best of three", loses again "best of five" etc etc.

One thing for certain boys and girls is that we are living in a time that will be taught about in history lessons of the future.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Oh....and what I meant to say, I agree with Mick, we need to vote or the politicians will have won and they can do what they like.

nejohn

Site Supporter
The problem I have is that I have no one that I feel I could vote for running in my constituancy, Although I have always voted labour I can't this time with the current leadership, the thought of that front bench terrifies me. plus the fact the candidate has continued to back remain even though his constituancy voted 66% to leave, he has even posted on facebook that he will continue to do this as he knows better than his constituants as he is better informed...his actual words...arrogant tw*t. I can't possibly vote tory even though they sort of make sense no over optomistic spending promises, live within our means and try to grow our GDP.....but that would be voting tory. Won't vote Pliad as they are just another bunch of biggoted nationalistic lunatics that would have everyone in wales speaking welsh but no one would have any money and the country would go back to the dark ages...long live Owain Gllyndower. That only leave the Brexit party again seems a sensible type of vote as an alternative to labour (and not actually voting tory) but what is their policy once we leave the EU...?? they are my only candidates ...how I wish we had a relevent non of the above box

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
The problem I have is that I have no one that I feel I could vote for running in my constituancy, Although I have always voted labour I can't this time with the current leadership, the thought of that front bench terrifies me. plus the fact the candidate has continued to back remain even though his constituancy voted 66% to leave, he has even posted on facebook that he will continue to do this as he knows better than his constituants as he is better informed...his actual words...arrogant tw*t. I can't possibly vote tory even though they sort of make sense no over optomistic spending promises, live within our means and try to grow our GDP.....but that would be voting tory. Won't vote Pliad as they are just another bunch of biggoted nationalistic lunatics that would have everyone in wales speaking welsh but no one would have any money and the country would go back to the dark ages...long live Owain Gllyndower. That only leave the Brexit party again seems a sensible type of vote as an alternative to labour (and not actually voting tory) but what is their policy once we leave the EU...?? they are my only candidates ...how I wish we had a relevent non of the above box
I tend to agree with you mate, it's like trying to pick the best apple from a very rotten barrel.

John Step

Site Supporter
nejohn I look at it this way. A vote for Tory will keep Corbin out. It will get brexit done. Even if the Tories win its not forever. Another election will happen after a maximum of 5 years when someone else may have a different angle on things. A vote for Libs or Lab will be FOREVER as they will cause remain.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Morals, respect etc are part of the curriculum, along with British values. What I meant was 'broad' politics eg what the major parties stand for, how parliament works, how it links in with the lords and the crown, what is a 'whip' etc etc.

I once did a quiz with some 15 year olds, one of the questions was "what is the job of the person who lives at number 11 Downing street". One girl replied "how am I supposed to know that, I'm not from around here":cry:
Like the lass getting interviewed on a remain march. She got asked what the 3 best things about the EU. She said the NHS. ?

62tucker

Site Supporter
Same as me in a way. Labour always win here but no brexit party candidate so it’s greens or Lib Dem’s it Tory’s. I already voted Tory even though the candidate lives 250 miles away. pee poor from the tories really. When I see my lying MP in the House of Commons and online going on about remain when the area voted leave ?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I'll vote and so will my wife.... I'm firmly of the opinion that if you don't vote, any opinion you may have on politics is moot... My area is under Ongar and Brentwood so Alex Burghart is my MP (Boris's Paliamentary private secretary) I'll vote for a conservative MP because I don't want Corbyn/Labour in power... that said if the Brexit party were more widespread and had a cogent manifesto, then they would be getting my vote, I'm not a right wing anti immigrationist... I just want what the referendum result promised.... sadly even the Tory version of that is watered down, but if that's all we're getting....????

biggsy

Site Supporter
nejohn I look at it this way. A vote for Tory will keep Corbin out. It will get brexit done. Even if the Tories win its not forever. Another election will happen after a maximum of 5 years when someone else may have a different angle on things. A vote for Libs or Lab will be FOREVER as they will cause remain.
That's the way i'm looking at it, never voted tory in my life so tactical vote for me(y)

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
If I were tell school children about politics, it would be that "You can not trust MP's at all. When they open their mouths they are about to tell a lie and it is impossible for the to say the words Yes or No!"
Nothing more to be said really.

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
Think that after the General Election and Brexit (soft, the Brexit party are changing to be called 'The Reform Party'.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
The first politician who comes along and answers the questions put to them in a direct and honest manner (warts and all) would soon be PM