Thunderstorms and Fishing

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Im thinking or should i say Hoping these storms and Fresh Water going into the Rivers might just might kick start a Barbel feeding frenzy. My son had his fist Barbel after a right Lashing Down and storm, ive had some great days after storms on the Wharfe, whats yer Views ?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I think it would depend on the river. The Trent and Wharfe would be a good session I reckon, whereas spate rivers such as the Ribble would be just flushed through.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Im thinking or should i say Hoping these storms and Fresh Water going into the Rivers might just might kick start a Barbel feeding frenzy. My son had his fist Barbel after a right Lashing Down and storm, ive had some great days after storms on the Wharfe, whats yer Views ?
It can improve fishing a lot ,fresh water and loads of oxygen put in the river or lake ?. It also can wash lots of natural food into the water and the fish know ?

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
It can also drop the temperature quite rapidly.

Zerkalo

I'd hope so, the Severn needs some extra water, problem is it's forecast thunder but no rain today, so I'm still having to water my parents plants/tomatoes for the time being.

bluemack

Site Supporter
I reckon it would make all the difference ,could,nt be any worse than it is now.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
In the eighties I woke at three for a dawn start on a tench lake, it was lashing down with thunder and lightning. Went back to
sleep but did go fishing later in the day, thirteen decent tench, still biting when I packed up.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I caught my first ever fish in a thunderstorm. A 4oz roach. I doubt the weather made much difference either way. But I've always liked fishing when a thunderstorm is brewing. Back then I had fibreglass rods, do no worries about getting struck by lightning.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Definitely could do with the rain that’s for sure. The Thames has gone from being in good nick through July to not looking too healthy now.

As for fishing in thunderstorms I don’t recall doing it coarse fishing. Have done plenty of legging it from them at sea though both here and in the US. Is not a fun game that have never got caught luckily but have come within minutes a couple times.

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
one of the ponds I have been fishing this year is only shallow seems if any heavy rain night before kills the fishing

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Our local lake needs water desperately, it fished well early Saturday morning but chatting to some anglers there today it’s been horrid with almost no bites for anyone.

I have fished a club match in a thunderstorm on a day ticket water we’d booked and as I had drawn the golden peg (had rolled over 5 matches) there was no chance of me packing up, fish carried on feeding right up to the whistle even though the rain was torrential. Glad I stuck it out as I won the pool and golden peg :)

Of course in the pub afterwards it did occur to us all that sitting next to water under a steel framed brolly that made us the highest features on site whilst holding 11m of carbon fibre pole may not have been our brightest move :LOL:

Karl

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I wish it would thunder, lightning and pour down

anything to remove this oppresive heat and clean the air a bit

my old pup dont like it one bit, hes took to just lying on the cool tiled kitchen floor and Ive set up a fan to blow a bit of air down onto the old fella

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I wish it would thunder, lightning and pour down

anything to remove this oppresive heat and clean the air a bit

my old pup dont like it one bit, hes took to just lying on the cool tiled kitchen floor and Ive set up a fan to blow a bit of air down onto the old fella

Alberts exactly the Same mate :(

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Our dogs too stupid to worry about it, still follows everyone around to make sure she doesnt miss anything then sits in the sun as much as she does the shade. Seems happy enough though but I'm sure shesdesperate for it too cool off so she can go for a walk as would kill herself if she went in this.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have only been out on the Trent once in the past month - it's absolutely crying out for rain. That said, Stoke Bardolph fished well for silvers in the Riverfest qualifier at the weekend

mimississ

Site Supporter
I fish the lower aire,,, it never fishes well for barbel when it's clear,,, after a good old down pour and a few feet of extra water and really well coloured,, the colour of chocolate i usually pick up a barbel or two,,, bait is usually a medium dendrabena and 2 maggots,,, the worm smell seems to attract them including EELS!!!!

TimFB

Fishing in thundery weather is always good. Fishing during a thunderstorm is far from sensible. In fact, in 35 yrs of boat ownership, having to make a 6 mile passage in an open boat over 25 years ago during a thunderstorm is still #1 on my all time list of terrifying fishing experiences....the rain hurt, I kept ducking on every lightning strike and turned around to see my crew lying flat on the deck with his eyes closed...come to think of it it probably takes up #2, 3,4 and 5 as well :LOL::LOL: