Thunder and fishing

Dogbert

Thundery showers are forecast today and I was wondering what impact the thunder and lightning have on fish feeding behaviour. I understand the danger of waving a long carbon fibre pole around in a thunderstorm, but I was thinking of doing a bit of lure fishing for perch. There is a perchy spot I know near a road bridge and I could nip under the bridge to avoid the showers. Does thunder and lightning encourage fish feeding or does it spook them?

Reuben

Site Supporter
It’s not just pole fishing that is dangerous regarding lightning. I don’t fish or play golf when thunderstorms are forecasted.

rudd

Site Supporter
It’s not just pole fishing that is dangerous regarding lightning. I don’t fish or play golf when thunderstorms are forecasted.
Time for old fibreglass or cane rods / net handles

CJROSCOW

Clint
Site Supporter
Not a good idea to fish in thunder. I had a whinge at our golf pro a few months back when he stopped a competition for thunder. Literally 20 minutes later a young boy was killed just up the road whilst at football practice. I felt terrible. Lighting can conduct to most things.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Thundery showers are forecast today and I was wondering what impact the thunder and lightning have on fish feeding behaviour. I understand the danger of waving a long carbon fibre pole around in a thunderstorm, but I was thinking of doing a bit of lure fishing for perch. There is a perchy spot I know near a road bridge and I could nip under the bridge to avoid the showers. Does thunder and lightning encourage fish feeding or does it spook them?
I dont fish if lightning is close, way to dangerous.

rudd

Site Supporter
Generally fish will feed after a warm weather storm as 1. Water gets a slight oxygen boost 2. Storms generally involve low pressure.

BUT : Thunderstorms can be very very cold in the middle - hence hail stones.
Hail stones are bad for water courses as they cool water as they melt and actually deplete oxygen as they dilute and mix into the water and can cause algea to die very quickly and or cause a water turnover.
If rain started as a hailstone and melted on way down - just as bad as hailstones as.water is cold.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
There's been a few times I've been fishing in very low humid pressure and been catching a lot of fish as a result, and I've heard a lorry or something go past in the distance, not being able to tell if it's thunder or just industrial noise. I'm very careful and as soon as I hear a rumble of actual thunder I'd be packing away.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I will go along with everyone else lightening and fishing (or any other outdoor activity) is not a good mix, however I have had some good sessions shortly after a thunder storm so is worth getting out on the bank once the storm has safely passed

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
putting aside the safety considerations, I've always found that bites dry up when there is a torrential downpour hammering on the water surface ... and restart again immediately after.

rudd

Site Supporter
Are there any 'Anglers hit by lightning ' stats anywhere?

Had some moments out on Suffolk marshes whilst crosscountry biking 💩
On a sea wall on a bike on a big flat landscape - its scarey how fast storms can move in off the Sea

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Don’t think I’ve ever been caught in thunder whilst coarse fishing as I tend to try pick days to go when bad weather isn’t likely. Closest I’ve come is hearing it roll in when I’m packing up as I’ve checked the forecast beforehand and known I had to pack up by a certain time to dodge it. Days after a storm are usually pretty good fishing though.

Done plenty of running from afternoon tropical storms in the US though. Just fished on half an hour too long a few times and then literally just had to lay all the rods down and full throttle the boat back to safety as the storm charges inland. Thankfully always made it but it’s been tight a couple times!

Rick123

Site Supporter
I've actually been hit once, we'll not be directly but my fly rod. I got quite a shock, but not burned or hurt, but it is a strange feeling I can tell you. I do actually love fishing in rain in summer, its the smells and sounds I enjoy.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Strangely I have had a couple of my best tench days when it was thundery.

As for fishing in a thunderstorm. It all depends if it is sheet lightening, with the storm a few miles up in the atmosphere or forked lightening. I will happily continue under sheet lightening, but get in the car if forked lightening is around.

markyboy

I have fished several times in thunderstorms when the rain has turned to thunder, not noticed any difference in catch rates before, during or after.

rudd

Site Supporter
Strangely I have had a couple of my best tench days when it was thundery.

As for fishing in a thunderstorm. It all depends if it is sheet lightening, with the storm a few miles up in the atmosphere or forked lightening. I will happily continue under sheet lightening, but get in the car if forked lightening is around.
Lightning can hit anywhere up to 20 miles away from actual storm!

Corn Master

putting aside the safety considerations, I've always found that bites dry up when there is a torrential downpour hammering on the water surface ... and restart again immediately after.
Can't really agree with you there. This is a screenshot of one of the several videos I took for Bait-Tech a few weeks ago fishing bomb and pellet in a torrential downpour. The pellet was only in around 15 seconds on most chucks before it cranked round

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210909-153803_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210909-153803_Gallery.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 10

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Can't really agree with you there. This is a screenshot of one of the several videos I took for Bait-Tech a few weeks ago fishing bomb and pellet in a torrential downpour. The pellet was only in around 15 seconds on most chucks before it cranked round
that's not a torrential downpour ... this is a torrential downpour!
(in best Mick Dundee accent).

Well if you will fish in overstocked puddles ;)

Total

Site Supporter
You had an 8 ounce lead on and tightened up too much?:unsure::whistle:;)

Last edited: