Through, english style feeder distance rod

chavba

Hi, I need a distance feeder rod or any rod that i can use to 80m fishing.
Atm i use aero x7 13’ rods, they are good rods but too fast rods. A few years ago i tried one of my friend english style feeder rod (sadly dont remember the brand), and the feeling was like a rubber band, like the snot… a jelly rod. It was amazing, i know this type of rods are not the best for distance fishing and for accurate casting but i miss this feeling from my x7 series…

Now the new oversized guided Acolyte Commerical Feeders looking great but the 11ft probably too short..

Are preston distance master rods througher rods?

Any of you can recommend me a real english styled feeder rod around 13ft?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Drennan have 12 foot, 13 foot (the most popular) and 14 foot feeder rods forget the new commercial range for your use and Daiwa also have lots, even Matrix do a good range of Horizon rods as do Browning in various price ranges but I suppose it comes down to what suits you and what you can get hold of. The Preston ranges felt stiff to me
I use the Browning Sphere 13 foot medium heavy which has a softer tip but will cast long distances as recommended by Sir Bob Nudd.

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
I use the 4m 100g Preston Distance Master. Nice through action and tips which, although heavier than you might expect (2, 3, and 4 oz) work really well with the rod. I think there is a UTube video on it . I've caught both bream and bigger carp on it

Also worth a look is the distance version of MIddy's 5G range which has rod extensions and can be used for different venues

chavba

Drennan have 12 foot, 13 foot (the most popular) and 14 foot feeder rods forget the new commercial range for your use and Daiwa also have lots, even Matrix do a good range of Horizon rods as do Browning in various price ranges but I suppose it comes down to what suits you and what you can get hold of. The Preston ranges felt stiff to me
I use the Browning Sphere 13 foot medium heavy which has a softer tip but will cast long distances as recommended by Sir Bob Nudd.
Thanks but i also own a Sphere and its action is same as the X7 i think.. not too through action

chavba

Thanks but i also own a Sphere and its action is same as the X7 i think.. not too through action
Yes but i saw this 12-13 foot drennan rods use those small guides from the 1980s… so ugly and i think bad for the distance also

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
I think we have different ideas regarding English style distance feeder rods.
The original mass produced rod of this type partly designed by Roy Marlow in the 1980s would be the Daiwa Harrier 11/13 foot which spawned many later versions from Daiwa and the current type from all the manufacturers listed above plus Tricast and Free Spirit which you would possibly struggle to find in Hungary.
The Acolyte Distance being capable of casting a 50g window feeder 100 metres plus and has the normal rings you would find on that type of rod.
In the last 30 years there has never been a soft through action rod made for distance feeder fishing and if there was it would not be "english style"because it would not work.
I hope this helps to clear up any misconceptions.

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
If you have a tight budget, a Daiwa Cast'izm rod might fit the bill (assuming you can get hold of one for a good price) My 12'6" (c/w 80g) one chucks a method or a hybrid feeder a long way and has a nice action. Mr Steve Ringer made a video of that when he was with Daiwa. Daiwa do bigger versions of that rod for longer chucks - not sure of the action, but from memory this rod was one of the earlier rods to show of Daiwa's HVF Nanoplus technology and V Joint construction

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Hi, I need a distance feeder rod or any rod that i can use to 80m fishing.
Atm i use aero x7 13’ rods, they are good rods but too fast rods. A few years ago i tried one of my friend english style feeder rod (sadly dont remember the brand), and the feeling was like a rubber band, like the snot… a jelly rod. It was amazing, i know this type of rods are not the best for distance fishing and for accurate casting but i miss this feeling from my x7 series…

Now the new oversized guided Acolyte Commerical Feeders looking great but the 11ft probably too short..

Are preston distance master rods througher rods?

Any of you can recommend me a real english styled feeder rod around 13ft?
I have recently bought a Preston sentient dutchmaster, the action is exactly as you describe….a jelly rod. Takes a few casts to get used to it but, once you do, it is a lovely tool.