Thriller Movies

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Well I watched Manhunter last night and it pretty much defines Thriller for me, forget Zodiac (not bad) or other serial killer movies, I'm well into the synth style soundtracks of the time, it's not Tangerine Dream on this one I don't think but very good.

@Zerkalo you seen Puppet on a chain?
Nope. Hardly seen any British films to be fair.

If you haven't seen it before, Southern Comfort is a decent film.

I haven't seen it but know the Ry Cooder soundtrack so will add to the watch list, cheers.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I had to watch it cause a mate of mine was the Director’s son.

It is pretty average.
Just looked and it has a Piero Piccioni soundtrack at least, one of the great Italian film composers.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It's one of his Funk scores from listening to it, not bad it if you like that kind of music. I got into Piero Piccioni from his 1972 score the The Mattei Affair (average Italian thriller) that has an electronic pulsing score that predate Moroder. Turns out he'd scored quite a few films, mostly funk soundtracks.

H T B

Site Supporter
Another one to add:-

Enemy of the State
Will Smith, Gene Hackman, Jon Voigt

[Having watched it, it makes you wonder about how much big brother can do!]

rudd

Site Supporter
Watched old and new 'Cape Fear' back to back.

Interesting fact: Most of the main cast of original play new parts in the remake! 😁

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I get Angelina Jolie confused with Jennifer Lopez. Watched a Jennifer Lopez film called Angel Eyes described as a Romantic Drama but it verges on thriller. It's not that well known so I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Relates to a man with PTSD and his inability to form new relationships, relates a bit to what Big Brother can and can't do to me, so I will watch Enemy of the State. (y)

Cape Fear has a great cast doesn't it, Robert Mitchum especially is one of my favourite actors.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Anyone seen Abel Ferrara movies - Ms 45, The Blackout, Kings of New York, Bad Lieutenant etc?

rudd

Site Supporter
I get Angelina Jolie confused with Jennifer Lopez. Watched a Jennifer Lopez film called Angel Eyes described as a Romantic Drama but it verges on thriller. It's not that well known so I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Relates to a man with PTSD and his inability to form new relationships, relates a bit to what Big Brother can and can't do to me, so I will watch Enemy of the State. (y)

Cape Fear has a great cast doesn't it, Robert Mitchum especially is one of my favourite actors.
De Niro had his teeth ground down and shaped for the part - then put back to normal after filming - at his own cost!

SeanB

Site Supporter
If your into synth soundtracks, then you might like The Keep. Tangerine Dream did the soundtrack. The film isn't a patch on the book, as I believe the studios interfered and basically ruined the film.
It's become a bit of a cult hit now despite its faults.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
De Niro had his teeth ground down and shaped for the part - then put back to normal after filming - at his own cost!
Never knew that! It reminds me of Christian Bale losing weight for The Machinist but almost a bit more extreme.

If your into synth soundtracks, then you might like The Keep. Tangerine Dream did the soundtrack. The film isn't a patch on the book, as I believe the studios interfered and basically ruined the film.
Seen it but years ago. Do love Tangerine Dream and Electronic scores. I used this list as a reference for things to watch a few years back.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Is that the one about the German army, taking over a castle? I read the book many years before the film was released & it was a decent read. Thought the film was bloody awful.

SeanB

Site Supporter
Yes, that's the one mate. Good book, dire mess of a film which is a shame because it could have been really good.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm on the Thrillers still. Had a bit of a Michael Mann binge, having watched Manhunter, Thief and Heat. I prefer the first two even though people speak of Heat as a kind of magnum opus for him sometimes, the running time was a bit long for me. Also watched Near Dark which is a spot on vampire flick with another Tangerine Dream soundtrack. And last night I watched Sleepers with Robert De Niro, a kind of New York crime film, which wasn't bad but not good enough to be a favourite. I have a few more lined up for the coming nights too.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
A couple I've watched over the last two nights.

Year of the Dragon - not a bad cop flick but not great either, so beware of glowing reviews, it's about Chinatown and Triads in New York but full of what I'd call bad racial stereotypes, it's not bad because of that per se but just doesn't have much else going for it.

Klute - Had been meaning to watch this to complete the Paranoia Trilogy. It's alright but not my favourite of the trilogy, interesting style due to the music but the story didn't really grip me.

Got loads more lined up to watch. :LOL: (y)