Three top kits - What elastics

Hey all,

I have three top kits.

Some background is as follows.

I fish a commercial lake in Warrington where fish range from roach to 10lb carp and is very hard to call.

I will do a bit of silver fishing in the colder months in the same lakes, possibly the friendlier “canal” they have there so less chance of lump carps.

Finally, I will visit my grandparents who have a seasonal pitch at a camping site with carp that exceed 10lb.

With this in mind I was thinking of the following in my kits

Middy - 6-8 hi viz for winter, I imagine it’s light enough to not bump fish off but have the power of any Tincas or bream

Middy 10-12 for the commercial fishery, I feel this would handle the majority of the carp without issue.

Finally, for the camp site I am thinking I might want to invest in a Hydro or. NG elastic for this lake, initially I thought Black but that might be a bit overkill, so maybe a grey hydro or the relevant NG equivalent?

rufcuk

Site Supporter
For me it would be black hydro - grey hydro and orange hydro or equivalent rating in any brand you prefer - black hydro is not as overkill as you think

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I have 3 tops on a margin pole for my holiday... 6-8 for silvers 10-12 for medium carp and 14-16 for lumps... all are fitted on pulla bungs

Dusty

Hey all,

I have three top kits.

I fish a commercial lake in Warrington where fish range from roach to 10lb carp and is very hard to call.

I will do a bit of silver fishing in the colder months in the same lakes, possibly the friendlier “canal” they have there so less chance of lump carps.

Finally, I will visit my grandparents who have a seasonal pitch at a camping site with carp that exceed 10lb.

Middy - 6-8 hi viz for winter, I imagine it’s light enough to not bump fish off but have the power of any Tincas or bream

Middy 10-12 for the commercial fishery, I feel this would handle the majority of the carp without issue.

Finally, for the camp site I am thinking I might want to invest in a Hydro or. NG elastic for this lake, initially I thought Black but that might be a bit overkill, so maybe a grey hydro or the relevant NG equivalent?

First 2 are spot on.
For the third I’d go for a 15 hollow or a Maver dual core 14-17

Paul22

Hey all,

I have three top kits.

Not a bad choice pal
I’d probably go double 4 with a puller for silver fish and the odd lump
Double 6 is good for anything that swims
Black hydro or red hydro or an
Equivalent for big lumps ...... I tried the Nick Gilbert 14 to 18 micro bore and it was pretty good stuff and a third of the price compared to hydro.

davylad

Too expensive Hydro for me, Nicks is a lot cheaper, and I find it as good. That's only my opinion of course, some would maybe disagree.

I am genuinely looking at Nicks options right now, I believe it is Amber core i am looking at - is this the one most "like" hydro?

Not a bad choice pal
I’d probably go double 4 with a puller for silver fish and the odd lump
Double 6 is good for anything that swims
Black hydro or red hydro or an
Equivalent for big lumps ...... I tried the Nick Gilbert 14 to 18 micro bore and it was pretty good stuff and a third of the price compared to hydro.
Am i fine doubling up these weird Middy ones then yeah? dont want to over-do it if i double them up and bump fish off.

Paul22

Am i fine doubling up these weird Middy ones then yeah? dont want to over-do it if i double them up and bump fish off.
Double up any solid pal but size 6 is probably as high as you need to go...... you can catch just about anything on a double 6 ?

Ordered some NG amber core 12-16

Will put a double 6 in for silvers and the odd surprise

And I guess I’ll put a straight 10 in for F1s/Commercials

Double up any solid pal but size 6 is probably as high as you need to go...... you can catch just about anything on a double 6 ?
I think I’ll put double 6 in my straight kit, I only have two with pullers and can’t decide if the pullers are best on the “lumps”

Or do I Pulla the double 6 and NG 12-16 and have a straight 12 on no pull

Decisions

Paul22

I think I’ll put double 6 in my straight kit, I only have two with pullers and can’t decide if the pullers are best on the “lumps”

Decisions
Buy a bottom end puller for a couple of quid it would be worth it ......... it does give you a bit more versatility........

Dusty

Decisions

Just put a pulla bung in the other.