Threads (1984)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Thinking about the 80s era got me thinking about films that got made in the era, obviously there is the upbeat, militaristic Reagan era Hollywood films like Top Gun which I like, but thinking about British films reminded me of this.

When I lived in Sheffield my mate loved this film and would always go on about it. I didn't think much of it at the time but enough for me to want to rewatch it tonight. Other British films from the era would have been stuff like The Long Good Friday, An American Werewolf in London (both with undertones of opening up the economy to the American Banking mob) and other 'kitchen sink' style stuff like Play For Today films. This I think is one which shows the real horrors of what could have happened if a nuke went off and probably scared a lot of people.

Anyone remember it? I'm watching it tonight...

sly

bit better gear,still no idea
Site Supporter
what are you watching it on?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
When the Nuke goes off about 50 minutes in it makes Terminator 2 look like Kindergarten. Might be of interest to Sheffield folk as some good shots of the city in there. (y)

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
How I have missed seeing this film I don't know, will have a search for it now, thanks @Zerkalo (y)

Last edited:

baboboy

Site Supporter
Thinking about the 80s era got me thinking about films that got made in the era, obviously there is the upbeat, militaristic Reagan era Hollywood films like Top Gun which I like, but thinking about British films reminded me of this.

When I lived in Sheffield my mate loved this film and would always go on about it. I didn't think much of it at the time but enough for me to want to rewatch it tonight. Other British films from the era would have been stuff like The Long Good Friday, An American Werewolf in London (both with undertones of opening up the economy to the American Banking mob) and other 'kitchen sink' style stuff like Play For Today films. This I think is one which shows the real horrors of what could have happened if a nuke went off and probably scared a lot of people.

Anyone remember it? I'm watching it tonight...
We watched it at school as part of an English project. It left an impression on me.

sly

Site Supporter
i had forgotten just how scary a film that was

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I rate it slightly lower for Drama as some other films but in terms of Horror it reminds me of some of the 'films' that were put out about the EU recently, I remember a 'public interest' drama put out about what would happen if we left the EU, so think it's historically interesting. (y)

sly

Site Supporter
I think i worded my last post wrongly,whilst the film in itself is not scary the "what if "and all that entails scenario is.
On a more cheerful note i did enjoy, Eyes wide shut,didn't get the mask on the pillow at the end though :unsure: :upthumb:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Glad you enjoyed EWS too! It might not be a film for everyone but it's Kubrick so bound to be well made and full of symbolism. The mask on the pillow means she caught him going to a club/masked ball/cheating on her? That's the only time I remember it. (y)

Robwooly

When the Nuke goes off about 50 minutes in it makes Terminator 2 look like Kindergarten. Might be of interest to Sheffield folk as some good shots of the city in there. (y)
Spoiler alert lol, After the nuke went off how did they tell the difference :LOL::LOL:

Only Joking I've been to Slough...

On the British film aspect although it was a series I always thought The Day of The Triffids adaptation was proper hide behind the settee stuff watching as a kid.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
"Children of the Damned" was superb... based on the John Wyndham* book, "The Midwich Cuckoo's" bloody frightening if you're of a nervous disposition

*(he also wrote "Day of the Triffids")

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
The threat of nuclear war during the cold war was a bit more worrying than leaving the EU. People were afraid of the threat but I’m not sure they they were as worried as they should have been. But as Sting sang: the Russians love their children too. So maybe the threat wasn’t that great.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I think it was 'The Great European Disaster Movie' (2015) I'm thinking of. Seemed to have the opposite effect compared to scaring people.

Robwooly

The threat of nuclear war during the cold war was a bit more worrying than leaving the EU.
Wasn't it just! Then there was that AIDS advert, I think from then on the media knew that a scared general public means a lot more viewers, now we got snowflakes the threat of a bad brexit and not having a flat screen tv in every room and mummy having to sell the people carrier leaves people in the same fear as we had of those 99 red ballons drifting across a radar screen somewhere.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I didn't live through those times but thankfully a nuke didn't go off here, lots of IRA bombs though, similar in many ways to Islamic Terrorism these days.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I like 'This is not America' by Bowie from the film The Falcon and The Snowman with a young Sean Penn based on a true story about Defence Workers who sold secrets to the Soviet Union.