Thread Hi-jacking

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Ouch!!! You told me to say it! OK so apparently there is no big beating stick and what just happened was a "happy accident". My fault. Off to A and E again, I'm on first name terms there now (y)

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I don't often post now, because so often there are several pages of nonsense and it gives the impression that no-one is really interested in the original topic. This thread is a prime example.

Even if a serious point is made, so often it is followed by a series of inane comments. But I've given up caring.

MikeT Amman

Site Supporter
I don't often post now, because so often there are several pages of nonsense and it gives the impression that no-one is really interested in the original topic. This thread is a prime example.

Even if a serious point is made, so often it is followed by a series of inane comments. But I've given up caring.
Its obvious youve given up caring, bit hypocritical to not even answer the original question.
what is your favourite pie/sauce combination?

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Its obvious youve given up caring, bit hypocritical to not even answer the original question.
what is your favourite pie/sauce combination?
Clearly I am unhappy with the number of "comedic banter" posts. But it's unreasonable to expect moderators to go through every post and every page every day.

So I apologise for not directly answering the original question and for being hypocritical; and for not having a workable suggestion as to how to stop the nonsense.

PS. Your post is a good example of why I don't look at the site as often as I used to. It's a comment off the top of your head just intended to rile me. Now where is the Ignore button? ;)

JLK

Being one of the younger anglers on here, I just can't see the funny side of any of this. The squirrel comments aren't even remotely funny and the comedic posts in the thread. Where are they?

MikeT Amman

Site Supporter
Clearly I am unhappy with the number of "comedic banter" posts. But it's unreasonable to expect moderators to go through every post and every page every day.

So I apologise for not directly answering the original question and for being hypocritical; and for not having a workable suggestion as to how to stop the nonsense.

PS. Your post is a good example of why I don't look at the site as often as I used to. It's a comment off the top of your head just intended to rile me. Now where is the Ignore button? ;)
I agree that a lot of posts do end up going well off track, this being a prime example. But there is a huge amount of accurate on topic information. I ended up joining as when I had any questions about angling I would google them. A majority of the time google would send me here and my question would have already been asked and answered.

I do actually have a suggestion to mitigate the s**t posting.
on a well known non fishing site they have a feature called flares where you can mark your post as serious amongst other things.
Posts that are marked with a serious flare are serious answers only. This allows the original poster of the thread to obtain serious answers, while also helping the moderators pay closer attention to a certain thread.
I dont know what software maggot drowning runs or if this is possible, but it could be put into forum rules and people could simply mark there post as serious if thats what they like.
maybe this would help cater to all users, and forum member like yourself could filter through the comedic banter.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I can easily add prefix options (flares) to the 'new topic' form, however it's hard enough at times to get people to use the correct prefixes in the Classifieds let alone try across the rest of the board :)

G0zzer, I think you will find that this thread has gone so far off the original topic because of the nature/content of the original topic; just meaningless fun, nothing to get upset or annoyed about :)

MikeT Amman

Site Supporter
Hi Dave,
i feel that a serious answers only prefix would be great, Im not sure how many people would use it but maybe that would be a reflection of how many drowners dont actually mind the banter.
Then again, Im sure it would be be very popular with the regulars for a little while because banter. You just cant win on here can you 仄