Thread Hi-jacking

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
In my duties as a Moderator, you often get to see threads which start off with the OP's subject

but then after a while run a disparaget course by the inclusion of subjects that really have no bearing or link to the OP's original question or subject

now most of the time, its not a problem, but on occasion, some posts are so far wide of the subject, or become unwelcome additions or are covered in other threads-postings

now the comedic posts about certain persons sat navs, moles, squirrel fishing, lake rulings and singular baliffs etc even though they often have little to do with the OP's thread apart from raising a smile and the group having a giggle at each others expense, Ive always found acceptable due to that is within the MD's modus operandii

though today after askin nicely on the national insurance thread that could it be kept to relevant postings, I have had the request from a couple of members that the moderating team or just myself should start actively persuing the comedic posts and removing them as they bring nothing to the thread or threads in question,and those posters are feeling like there is an agenda against them when they switch the subject

so are you for tougher restrictions on what could, can be posted in threads or is it okay as it is and your happy with the comedic bantr that occurs ?

Total

Site Supporter
........though today after askin nicely on the national insurance thread that could it be kept to relevant postings, I have had the request from a couple of members that the moderating team or just myself should start actively persuing the comedic posts and removing them as they bring nothing to the thread or threads in question,and those posters are feeling like there is an agenda against them when they switch the subject......
Mick, I can't help thinking you'll be making a rod/extra work for your own back...:(.....But I will always respect any ruling the owner or our Mod' team have to carry out.

Might be far less work and a much happier atmosphere all round in here if the couple of members who requested this were permanently deleted as both have plenty of previous for disruption and general bad vibes....(y)

MrBen

Site Supporter
Isn’t part of group fishing a bit of banter, so a bit of banter on a fishing forum is surely to expected?

I think people need to remember if you wouldn’t walk into a conversation in a pub and say what you are going to type them don’t type it.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Erm wouldn't a Banter sticky thread / topic sort it out ? A dedicated area where members are free to bandinage all day long.

nejohn

Site Supporter
For me it is fine to go off topic for a few posts but when you get 2 or 3 people having a private conversation that goes on and on but is not really adding anything to the conversation then it is time to leave the thread well alone

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
so are you for tougher restrictions on what could, can be posted in threads or is it okay as it is and your happy with the comedic bantr that occurs ?
I am happy with it but this is the key point...

and those posters are feeling like there is an agenda against them when they switch the subject
Say if you're a new poster and don't get the banter. Maybe grow a thicker skin to older posters.

Be very difficult to moderate. :)

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
If you aren't part of the bantering crew, it sometimes seems incredibly juvenile. Sometimes it just comes across as deliberate sabotage of a thread. When this happens it strikes me that there can be a cadre of unofficial moderators that effectively shut down threads, or posters, that they don't like.

Donny Pete

Site Supporter
Account Locked
If you aren't part of the bantering crew, it sometimes seems incredibly juvenile. Sometimes it just comes across as deliberate sabotage of a thread. When this happens it strikes me that there can be a cadre of unofficial moderators that effectively shut down threads, or posters, that they don't like.
Who are they?

Total

Site Supporter
For me it is fine to go off topic for a few posts but when you get 2 or 3 people having a private conversation that goes on and on but is not really adding anything to the conversation then it is time to leave the thread well alone
Does that or will that work the same when say for example, the the OP subject is "Daiwa 13 foot waggler rods" and you start recommending TRI Cast rods or Mr White recommending Cadence rods?......It has to be flexible or it won't/ can't work.....

Reuben

Site Supporter
Mick, I can't help thinking you'll be making a rod/extra work for your own back...:(.....But I will always respect any ruling the owner or our Mod' team have to carry out.

Might be far less work and a much happier atmosphere all round in here if the couple of members who requested this were permanently deleted as both have plenty of previous for disruption and general bad vibes....(y)
With respect, @Total, if you have a problem with certain members why don’t you use the ’ignore’ button? You suggest it to others from time to time. 👍😀🤔😐😦😴😵💫🤧😝💩🤤😍

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
My view is that threads will meander and wander like a stream. Trying to constrain them only leads to frustration.

Yes I don't like the comments where someone will come onto a thread just to say they don't like .......... To me a bit like going into Tesco to tell them you prefer shopping at Sainsbury's. Pointless and adds nothing.

But sometimes threads just take on a life of their own and that is organic and natural. Normally when a specific answer is being sought the meaningful answers appear first and then the thread wanders.

Let nature take its course and only curb the wildly off topic or abusive posts.

SeanB

Site Supporter
Don't imagine my opinion has a great deal of weight but I'm happy with how the site is. Yes, some threads go a bit off topic but I either join in the banter or just keep reading till it gets back on track. I think if it got too "sterile" as in straight questions and answers then a lot of the magic would be lost.

davylad

Site Supporter
If you're in your local, a conversation will start will start with one topic, and end up with another, via a few dozen in between. What's wrong with that?