Thoughts on cheap pole repair

chris1967

Site Supporter
I have several browning poles and when i purchased these i removed the original no3 sections and replaced with the browning xitan uni 3 sections .My thought was £43 to replace as opposed to £143
Any how i digress lol,the other day i managed to break one of the uni c sections with my knee against it in pole sock whilst leaning over to pick up bomb rod .I have since ordered a new one to replace it with .Well today being bored with nothing to do i trimmed down edges and telescoped it through and gorilla glued it ,and to be fair it dont look half bad if i say so me sen .
Question is ,give me your thoughts on strength wise as i'm quite anal and never done it before and have no desire to see a £100 top two go whizzing lakeside IMG_1602.JPG

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
in the early days of power tops they were always too long so we used to cut the number ones and also the number twos from new to telescope them. I can honestly say that none of them broke in normal use and the added bonus was it stiffened them up a little.
The only addition to what you have done was a bit of shrink tube over the joint to protect the carbon edge from damage.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
personally I would epoxy resin these at least. Any slight movement because of the taper will cause these to rock and potentially break through the section wall as I learned to my cost on a #4. No problem with any of the above comments when using for silvers but carp are a different animal.

Best way, as you have noted, is to wrap them but sending off is time consuming and costly. I have been wrapping my own. Esselle do a great kit and video and I have been pleased with my own results. None have broke so far and all pack away into the pole as previous. Give it a go (y)