This Post is dedicated to Pompous Git

Donny Pete

Site Supporter
Super fish that Yuccaman, Zander is the only species of course fish I’ve not caught in this country.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
I’ve only seriously targeted them 3 times, and I’ve caught 3. The advice I was given was essentially find a water with them in, fish small baits, strike at any twitch and expect that to happen just as light faded

squimp

Site Supporter
I’ve only seriously targeted them 3 times, and I’ve caught 3. The advice I was given was essentially find a water with them in, fish small baits, strike at any twitch and expect that to happen just as light faded
Somebody gave you very good advice!

I wish my third zander had been over 12lb......

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I've only been fishing for Zander twice, and both times caught Pike. Hey-ho, onwards and upwards.

Kennyman1

@Pompous git gave me this warm fuzzy blessing just before Christmas ;) (If you missed the thread, there was a lot of tongue and cheek, although a definite different side of the fence regarding a certain silver predator)

Now, it's been an odd week. I went out all day on Monday for the first time since early November. I was after some good old Esox, but unfortunately, good old Esox didn't know I was at the party.

So, being a teacher and on half term week, I decided to give it another crack yesterday. I only gave it three hours and before my 2nd rod was out had a belting run. I was into a good double, and lost it at the net. Rude words may have made an appearance. Fortunately I didn't have to wait long to make amends and ended up with 4 pike on the bank: 2 small jacks, one at about 9, and a lovely river pike of 14lb 6oz.

Today was the last one. Planned to be my last predator session of the winter (it may or may not be), I went out for the afternoon again. I had a feeling it might be slow, and I had to wait about three hours for a run. It was feeling kind and a lovely pike just scraping a double graced my net. I had decided to fish up to dusk, knowing that there were some good sized zander around. As the light dropped, I switched two of my three rods to small roach deadbaits, with a fat sardine on the third. Nothing. Nada. I gave myself the 'right, ten minutes' talk and then my sardine rod absolutely screamed off.

it was only as it got to the net that I set my eyes on the biggest zed I've seen in the flesh, let alone caught! It totally ignored the zander rulebook (other than biting at dusk), but beat my old PB by exactly 3lb - my first double figure zander at 12lb 8oz.

And don't worry @Pompous git - my tackle is still intact, and I gave it a big sloppy kiss from you as it swam back into the depths :)

20 A 12.8 Zed Sardine 18th Feb 2021.JPG
What a fantastic fish!! Well done that man👍🏻🎣😎