This North / South divide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happyeater

Strange isn't it, last summer my son and I went to Pembroke and fished some ponds. It was my first time fishing in 10 yrs and my sons first time. Using 6lb line, size 14 hooks and wagglers (with 3 inches above water level) we caught loads. Carp, Perch, roach and a rudd came out by the bag full in all different sizes. Not much loose feed needed either.

When we got back to the NE, with my son well and truly 'hooked' we joined WACAC (local club) and used the same tactics and blanked several times. I posted on the WACAC message board and asked for advice. We were advised to use 2-2.5lb line with a 1.5lb bottom line, size 20 to 22 hooks and to shot so that only a minute bit of float shows. We were told to 'feed' 6 maggots as loose bait every minute or so.

What a difference, we started to catch. What causes this, water temperature or are Geordie fish just shy? (unlike the lasses [:D])

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
No, fish in Wales, like the sheep and the girls are easy.

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member

crusty

Hi Happyeater
welcome[:)]
It is strange,I found exactly the same thing.
When i've been on my hols I don't think i've ever blanked. But up here blanking is often the norm. (not you norm!)[;)]

I think the fish are like the people.
We know how soft and greedy southerners are
and how stubborn and hard northerners are [;)]

There's proberbly some very good explanation for it, and i'm sure someone on this site will enlighten us.

How about;
the average water temp is higher, so the fish swim around more, therefore use up more energy, therefore needing more food, and feeding more often and for longer? Subsequently taking more risks than their couch-potato northen counterparts [^]
just a guess.

crusty

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:We know how soft and greedy southerners are
and how stubborn and hard northerners are

Why is it that most of the most dire cr** I ever see on a fishing forum seems to come from the uneducated keyboard of a northern computer.[:D]

Everybody knows that southern fish, like most southerners, are friendly and hate to see a Northerner cry (especially a Yorkshireman) over spending money on a days fishing and catching nothing.

We did have plans to make our fishing so expensive so as to price those from up north out of it but as usual we took pity on you all.

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member

Dai Fish

Site Supporter
Geoff it is not often that I get angry when reading these forums but I find your post most ofensive you can have a pop at the fish and the girls in Wales being easy if you must but for pitys sake leave the poor Sheep alone

Dai Fish

mike s

What[?] So you get first pick of the good looking ones[:D][:D][:D]

Cumbria Angling Centre

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
At least all that we Tykes can be accused of having is Foot in Mouth, I did hear that the Red Cross set up camp in Wales during the Foot & Mouth crisis - and the qu-ewes were enormous [:D]

[:p]

Dave

martin.

Account Locked
these northerners there mouths are that big it should be YARD IN MOUTH not foot in mouth

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
well i was gonna say something about southern girls being fu erm summat in the mouth but i won't bother.

Me i'm lucky living in the middle i get all sorts of fishing, some is realllllllll easy (bit like Blenau sheep) other times its really hard (bit like south wales sheep) & some of its downright impossible (bit like highland cattle...hmmm all that lovely long red hair).

In answer to the serious question thats been asked though... i find that the further north you go the harder the fishing seems to get but i'd put that down to decent stocking levels instead of over stocking, not as many anglers on the bank day after day & the fact that when you do catch a far north fish it's more likley to give you a slap for catching it [:)]

Unless we're talking liverpuddlian fish, then they just nick ya tackle to stop you catching them again [:p]

Alan

Just cos i ain't postin, it don't mean i ain't watchin

Status
Not open for further replies.