This match fishing thing

Sportsman

Site Supporter
I have never been interested in fishing matches, my fishing has been mostly solitary, or with maybe one companion. A few weeks ago, I was invited by a motley crowd of British immigrants to join them in fishing a match on the fishery which I am sort of a regular at. I thought why not, at least I would get a days fishing. The guys turned out to be great, not taking it all too seriously and, as the say " the craic was mighty" I fished the venue as I normally would and ended up with 20+ skimmers on the GB feeder. All small and I came nowhere, but I enjoyed the day, so when they invited me again yesterday I fished my 4th ever match of a 66 year on and off fishing career. The report on that is elsewhere, but it was a good day, although it had its highs and lows. :D
I was also invited to fish another match in a fortnight, this time on a different venue. This venue has some big fish with high average weights. The last match there was won by the guy on the next peg to me yesterday with 19 carp for 218lb. You do the math, I am off to get some thicker elastic:D
So, I have made some new friends, been invited to fish a new venue and had fun. Maybe this match fishing isn't so bad. Does this mean that I now have to buy a Halkon Hunt suit and a pellet wetter?:eek:

scuttster

Site Supporter
I have never been interested in fishing matches, my fishing has been mostly solitary, or with maybe one companion. A few weeks ago, I was invited by a motley crowd of British immigrants to join them in fishing a match on the fishery which I am sort of a regular at. I thought why not, at least I would get a days fishing. The guys turned out to be great, not taking it all too seriously and, as the say " the craic was mighty" I fished the venue as I normally would and ended up with 20+ skimmers on the GB feeder. All small and I came nowhere, but I enjoyed the day, so when they invited me again yesterday I fished my 4th ever match of a 66 year on and off fishing career. The report on that is elsewhere, but it was a good day, although it had its highs and lows. :D
I was also invited to fish another match in a fortnight, this time on a different venue. This venue has some big fish with high average weights. The last match there was won by the guy on the next peg to me yesterday with 19 carp for 218lb. You do the math, I am off to get some thicker elastic:D
So, I have made some new friends, been invited to fish a new venue and had fun. Maybe this match fishing isn't so bad. Does this mean that I now have to buy a Halkon Hunt suit and a pellet wetter?:eek:
Sounds like a good bunch. With more emphasis on the enjoyment rather than the competition.

Stronger elastic might be needed for those monsters in your next match. I guess you are elasticating a scaffold pole for those!
a

As for the suit and pellet wetter you’ll soon be travelling like the below!

E65D0217-18B3-472D-A656-0225A9199BF2.jpeg
B7D64E9B-C16A-4088-BA75-A2B710991E38.jpeg

Total

Site Supporter
@Sportsman ......It reads like those carp (caught and lost) have ignited a competitive streak in you!:love::ROFLMAO:.....Enjoy, and the next match....(y).....Love reading post like yours above, brilliant...:)

P.S. If you need any help explaining how to use a 'pellet wetter' please come back to us on here!;):p:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I think a pellet wetter is a minimum requirement. You also need a 4 wheel transporter , new box , a margin pole and 27 spare topkits, lots and lots of spare rods , at least 300 pole rigs and spare floats.🤣🤣🤣🤣😳👍

Total

Site Supporter
I think a pellet wetter is a minimum requirement. You also need a 4 wheel transporter , new box , a margin pole and 27 spare topkits, lots and lots of spare rods , at least 300 pole rigs and spare floats.🤣🤣🤣🤣😳👍
^^:oops:.......#"And a 'Partridge in a pear treeeee?......":unsure::whistle::ROFLMAO:

Sportsman

Site Supporter
OK, it's just the pellet wetter then, I've got everything else ;) :LOL:
You probably find this pretty amazing, but I managed to wet some pellets yesterday without one. It involved pouring some water into a tub and then pouring it out again, so as you can imagine, it was a bit of a struggle, but I persevered. Not a task I would want to be faced with every time I go fishing. I am saving up to buy the proper equipment;)

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Make sure you order your colour co-ordinated outfits for your match escapades.

If you’re going to fish matches you need to look like you’ve just walked out of the tackle shop clothing section.

It all has to match, and ideally the same manufacturer as all of your other kit. It’s the law👍👍

Rob F

Site Supporter
Hmmmm, Don't think I'm ever gonna be a match fisherman reading this thread, though I am a bit curious to try.
Looking at that tackle barrow in amazement, I'm of the "got to be able to pick it up and run with it" school of thought - probably a throw back to my earliest schoolboy outings on banks where I probably shouldn't have been!
As for matching, branded tackle shop clothing I'm more of a military surplus / explosion in a clothes bank dresser when angling.
It would be interesting to give it a go one day though, who knows what the future holds????

Sportsman

Site Supporter
@Sportsman ......It reads like those carp (caught and lost) have ignited a competitive streak in you!:love::ROFLMAO:.....Enjoy, and the next match....(y).....Love reading post like yours above, brilliant...:)

P.S. If you need any help explaining how to use a 'pellet wetter' please come back to us on here!;):p:ROFLMAO:
I have always been pretty competitive. When I lived in Scotland I mainly fly fished for 25 years. For a while I fished with a member of the Scottish team and he was super competitive, maybe some rubbed off. Even if not fishing in matches, I bet that most anglers are aware of what the anglers around them are doing and how there own performance compares.

RMNDIL

Good for you. Really glad you enjoyed yourself. Enjoyment is what it's about - for me at least. I started out as a bare teen pleasure fishing, just me and my mate, and we learnt very sloooowly. We hadn't a clue really. Started going with the local village club as my neighbour uncle fished - maybe 10 to 15 members at a time - and learnt a lot. Winning various junior (and even senior) trophies with the end of season presentations great. Then 'progressed' to a bigger club who had another venue and then started working in the local tackle shop at 15 on Saturday's. From then on match fishing was all I did (almost all) and joined a sponsored match team and it got serious with Oxford DAA team matches, AT Winter Leagues, regional national matches & Nationals, Super Leagues as far away as the Exeter canal (there and back same day...why ??) travelling around the country etc etc. Did the lot really. But I have to say that I actually think 'proper' team fishing ruined my enjoyment of actually fishing. Rules were 'tight'. Very strict. Section failure was NOT an option. You could not come back to the results with even upper middle points -say 8/12 or 17/25 etc - let alone low points. It took, or rather eroded, the enjoyment which was what started this journey in the first place but didn't realise it at the same as it was all consuming. I stopped doing what you seem to be doing now. And what you're doing is enjoyable. I need to get back there. Room for another ???

Total

Site Supporter
I have always been pretty competitive. When I lived in Scotland I mainly fly fished for 25 years. For a while I fished with a member of the Scottish team and he was super competitive, maybe some rubbed off. Even if not fishing in matches, I bet that most anglers are aware of what the anglers around them are doing and how there own performance compares.
In a daft sort of way this covid has made me look and re evaluate not only my life but my fishing as I was going nowhere and was not enjoying it anymore. As described above by Mr RMNDL above as much as I enjoyed the fishing experiences at the time the negativity also took its toll...

Stepping back to what I love doing most, the odd open, club fishing and out for days just to get out and enjoy good company, fresh air and a laugh with friends to me is what it's all about....:)