This is the best commercial fishery

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Been to Makin's once. That's where I had my Junior trial to fish with Team England for a week with Mark Downes.

bagpuss

Site Supporter
As much as I enjoy Partridge, my favourite has to be the pristine Old Hough. 80min drive for us but well worth it. The place is manicured. The pegs are perfect and easily accessible. None are more than a short walk from a parking space. The fishing on all 10 lakes is great, with most matches needing around a 100lb. Even the lower places can bag 50lb some days.
Also has a great Speci lake with big Cats and up to 30lb Carp.
In terms of pegging, scenery and access Old Hough edges it over Partridge. Mel has done a fantastic job since leaving and taking over the running of Old Hough but Partridge overall in my opinion is the better fishery due to the facilities like the cafe, tackle shop and toilets.
The fishing on both of them is fantastic, in terms of weights Partridge produces the bigger weights especially in the summer months with plenty of ton pluses in each match but I do think Old Hough is a more fairer venue.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Docklow... lovely place.... plenty of fish... you blank there.... chuck yer rods away and take up golf... (they have a 9 hole course)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Great weight 👌 especially all those years ago . We will have to have a day out or 2 Mick ,you can help refine my approach and techniques, buy you a breakfast 🥰
Think I’d 70 odd pasties. The carp were tiny back in those days. Not like the munters they are now. He was on with the second pond ( apart from the old original on the right has you drive down ) when I did that that’s how long ago it was. We used to take 3 or 4 kilo of dendra in a pillow case back then. And normally run out by the end 🙄. Couldn’t afford to do that now. 🤣 I bet the record is 300 / 400 + now isn’t it ? Not been for a while.

tincatim

Site Supporter
There’s quite a few commercials round my way, probably the most famous is Lindholme (25 miles away), but I’ve never fished there so can’t really comment. I’m thinking I will try it out this summer though. The closest ‘proper’ commercial to me is Barnburgh. It’s not really my type of fishing, but weights are huge and you can catch a variety of fish all day without fail. There’s three lakes and an on-site tackle shop. I’ve fished each lake once, a few years back so might give it a whirl again this year. It’s not really that suited to none-pole fishing though.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Lindholme I read a lot about and it seems Alan Scotthorne is there a lot, at least in his videos.

tincatim

Site Supporter
Lindholme I read a lot about and it seems Alan Scotthorne is there a lot, at least in his videos.
Yeah it’s seems that Alan is quite local to me, he’s often got videos up of venues I’ve fished or want to. Don’t know why I’ve never fished it really, it’s not that far away and I’m sure it’s excellent. The thing that’s putting me off on my latest return is not having a pole, I’m not likely to be buying one this year and I know that’s a disadvantage at many commercials.

However, I’m more than happy to go against the grain and fish different methods. And as Scotthorne’s latest Drennan video shows, you can still bag up with the waggler.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Good afternoon Mick.....;).......Locks new bag of jelly babies in the cupboard....:D:devilish::ROFLMAO:
The trouble with Jelly Babies is .... If you start you can’t stop and then come the end of the bag you regret being a greedy bugger and then feel as sick as Dave when he’s handing Peter a nugget. 🤣🤣

nejohn

Site Supporter
Docklow... lovely place.... plenty of fish... you blank there.... chuck yer rods away and take up golf... (they have a 9 hole course)
I thought I was going to blank a couple of years ago, it was an absolute scorching day, I arrived around 9 o'clock and fished Micky Mouse, not so much as a touch all day, got to around 5 o'clock and it was like someone flicked a switch and ended up with around 35lb of roach in the last 2 hours. If I had gone another 30mins without a fish I would have packed up and gone home

bluemack

Site Supporter
I’m not saying it’s the best in the country, because I don’t go to many others, the question was “what is the best in your area “ !! But the fishing can be amazing 💁‍♂️
Can,t dispute the quality of the fishing Chef ,it,s just not the prettiest of venues and the last time i fished TBF( about 10 years ago)
it appeared to be infested with rat,s .:eek: