This Hung Parliament Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvin Waggler

Bass Blanker
Can somebody please explain what it actually means, what's the actual process of sorting it out, & what effect it will have over us??

In laymans terms if possible[;)]

I can't get me nogging round it[:D]

Dannysdad

Guv
Well, it's official......we have a hung parliament. Can we start with David Cameron and swiftly followed by Jack Straw?[:T]

steve1080

for any one party to take power they need 326 seats if no party gets 326 seats there is no ovarall winner hence a hung parliment, labour and lib dems could join forces to get the seats they need, its down to politicans to sort it out if they cant the queen has the power to call a second genaral election but it unlikly. how it will effect us only time will tell,

simonelsey

only1 net empty
I think it might be better to re do the election giving that some people coulnd not vote due to demand , + If it was re-done , labour would perhaps have a new leader then and the outcome would be different ...

Maybe give it 6 months

Paul_D

To elaborate slightly on steve1080; there are 650 MP seats in the House of Commons therefore to have a majority of seats a party would need 50% +1 elected MP's i.e. 326. If a party wins the most seats but does not reach the 326 seats they don't have enough MP's votes to pass all their commons business so need the 'help' of votes from MP's from other party's to pass them....then all the funny business starts and nobody gets anywhere.

lurkio

A little dab'll do
Originally posted by Paul_D

To elaborate slightly on steve1080; there are 650 MP seats in the House of Commons therefore to have a majority of seats a party would need 50% +1 elected MP's i.e. 326. If a party wins the most seats but does not reach the 326 seats they don't have enough MP's votes to pass all their commons business so need the 'help' of votes from MP's from other party's to pass them....then all the funny business starts and nobody gets anywhere.

Quite correct. However, in real terms, in can be slightly less as Sinn Fein MPs (five in the last government IIRC) have no mandate to vote as they refuse to pledge allegiance to the queen. This effectively meant that 323 was enough for a majority.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
What happens now is up to Gordon Brown. As the Queen's Prime Minister he has the right to try and form a government. He could return to parliament with Labour as the Government party but with no majority thus no power to force through legislation. Any acts put forward for a vote could be defeated if all the other MPs vote against it. It is possible for him to proceed on an act by act basis, doing deals and seeing who agrees with the act to get a majority.

The likelihood is though that this is an unworkable solution. So his other option is to try and get an agreement for the Lib Dems to support acts through parliament but the Libdems would demand something in return for their support. This would be seats on the cabinet, a promise to introduce a bill to change the voting system and for Labour to support certain LibDem bills. This would be called a Coalition Government.

Highly unlikely but possible is that the Queen could demand that for the short term the three main parties work together (as during wartime) to see the country through the current problems and then have an election when things improve.

Until Gordon Brown informs the Queen that he cannot find a way to form a Government and so resigns as PM nothing else can happen.

If he informs the Queen that he is resigning as PM then the Queen will call on David Cameron to see if he can, through negotiation, form a Government with sufficient seats in the House of Commons to have an overall majority. Again there will have to be negotiations with Nick Clegg to see what LibDem want in return for supporting the Tories.

In all probability we will see a Tory/LibDem coalition which will mean that we will get Tory policies but watered down and a few LibDem policies supported by the Tories.

The one stumbling block to all this is that the LibDems, having got nearly a quarter of the overall vote want an election system that would see them with a quarter of the seats in parliament (150) and not the 50 or so they get under the current system. But there is no way the Tories will want to change things. Stalemate could ensue and we could have another election within weeks. Oh Joy!

HarryOatcake

02/02/04 -24/12/17
Site Supporter
In Memoriam
Originally posted by lurkio

Originally posted by Neil ofthe nene

What happens now is up to Gordon Brown.

And he'll be gone by 4pm apparently.

Sooner than that I hope,
a song springs to mind.

"Oh', yes I'm the Great Pretender,
pretending that I'm doing well".

[:T] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:W]

lurkio

A little dab'll do
Originally posted by Marvin Waggler

Originally posted by lurkio

What happens now is up to Gordon Brown.

And he'll be gone by 4pm apparently.

What's that about mate[:0]

One of the reporters on ITV News is outside number 10. He's had a text from a Labour MP who said Brown will be gone by 4pm and Cameron in this evening.

I'm watching that space. Erm, this space. Well, there's some space and I'm watching it! [:D]

hull tyke

Does it really matter who is in power I dont think so,
whoever is in charge will shaft us again.[V]

lurkio

A little dab'll do
Cameron has just spoken. He is talking about making an offer to the Lib Dems to work together - no mention of a formal coalition though.

He highlighted common areas of policy.

He said he wanted to make a "big open and comprehensive offer" to the Lib Dems.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8667938.stm

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Originally posted by hull tyke

They will be forced to because of the state Gordon (and Teflon Tony)has left the country's finances in. Does no-one who voted Labour realise that Brown and Blair just spent lots of money we could't afford in order to make themselves popular? Like trying to buy a child's love with lots of toys you can't afford.

zhorian

Be prepared for another election in the next 12 months .... probably inside this year ... so don't put your biros away just yet ....

wozelbeak

Originally posted by hull tyke

They will be forced to because of the state Gordon (and Teflon Tony)has left the country's finances in. Does no-one who voted Labour realise that Brown and Blair just spent lots of money we could't afford in order to make themselves popular? Like trying to buy a child's love with lots of toys you can't afford.
there is not a single thing they have done that any other goverment would not have done.
other countries have worst debt than us, but they don't have the finger pointing at their government all the time, i.e Germany.

Debt by % of gdp from 2009.

1 Zimbabwe 304.30 %
2 Japan 192.10
3 Saint Kitts and Nevis 185.00
4 Lebanon 160.10
5 Jamaica 131.70
6 Singapore 117.60
7 Italy 115.20
8 Greece 108.10
9 Sudan 104.50
10 Iceland 100.60
11 Belgium 99.00
12 Nicaragua 87.00
13 Israel 83.90
14 Sri Lanka 82.90
15 Egypt 79.80
16 France 79.70
17 Germany 77.20
18 Portugal 75.20
19 Hungary 72.40
20 Canada 72.30
21 Jordan 69.90
22 United Kingdom 68.50

crowder

Well said Wozelbeak.

Too many people listen to what they read in the papers or on see on the telly, rather than reading the full facts they jump to conclusions.

Paul_D

So what are the full facts then Crowder? Would you mind beginning with our disproportionate taxation, just so that I can get my head around it. Ta.

Status
Not open for further replies.