Thinking About Match Fishing

Grimberian

Hi Folks,
A few posts round here have got me thinking about trying a match next year.
I am still a beginner, but I wonder if it would improve my fishing somewhat and make me think a bit differently about tactics.
So, couple of questions...
1. I currently have the basic kit that I need for my pleasure fishing - a couple of rods (waggler and quiver), hooks, shot, some method/pellet/cage feeders etc - every match angler I have seen is kitted up like heaven knows what - seat boxes with more gadgets than my car. Is there anything you can recommend as a must buy in the Christmas sales, or is rocking up with a sainsburys bag of bait and a camping chair totally acceptable?
2. Would you join a club for a match or go for an open match? I am wondering if being part of a local club might be a bit more relaxed than an open with people coming from everywhere taking is super serious - or are club matches much the same?
3. Any other tips? It just seems like a match might be something to aim for next year, but I would be lying if I said it didnt make me feel nervous about pitching myself against seasoned anglers!!
Cheers All (y)

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@Grimberian

I use a chair now when match fishing, it lightens the load. You never know when you get to a fishery how far you have to carry your gear, not every fishery has parking behind your peg. But use what you're comfortable with.
Definitely join a club, you'll learn more from club matches than you would just rocking up in an 'open' where all you'll be is pools fodder.
Don't worry about being nervous, even seasoned anglers suffer from it. Pitting yourself against those better than you shows you have the bottle to do it and most will respect you. The one thing you must do though is practice, practice..then practice some more. When you join a club, you should receive a list of the club matches. Look them up and gather as much info on them as you can. I used to plan 2 weeks ahead and if possible, fish the match venue, some call it cheating but not me, I call it doing my homework.
You will come across those that say things like..You're not going to catch using that..etc. Ignore those remarks, they're just trying to put you off.
Above all else though, enjoy the day and learn from it. It'll help you understand the world of match fishing a lot easier. :upthumb:

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
You would probably be best to fish an MD match first. After all it is the best club in the country and you are already a member (y) (y)

Grimberian

Thanks @ukzero1 that's a really positive response.
I will have a look at my local clubs and see what I can come up with - I had a look at the Keynsham Anglers a few weeks ago, maybe worth paying up!

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@Grimberian

Ask if they do a 'guest' session, that's where you can fish on their waters for the day to try them out. Some clubs do it. Just looking at the various clubs sometimes is not enough, you need to look at the waters as well. If it's nicley laid out and the pegs are are all in good nick, then you know the club takes pride in what they have. Not all clubs have good looking waters.

Dusty

Hi mate,

I would definitely look at joining a club to begin with as joining the open match scene may be quite daunting.
I only started match fishing this year and have started with a second hand box and pole, I wouldn’t worry too much about what gear other people have, as long as you are comfortable using the gear you own that’s what matters.
I thought about starting match fishing for a long time before I took the plunge and it’s one of the best things I’ve done.
One thing I will say is that you absolutely get out what you put in, I try and be as prepared as possible before a match and do a bit of research and I have managed to be competitive throughout the year.

Dusty

Just further to my last post I would definitely look at buying a cheap second hand pole or margin pole.
In the summer unless there is an obvious feature such as an island I rarely feel the need to fish more than 7-8m out.
You can present a bait far more accurately and sensitively with a pole than you can with a waggler rod.

Grimberian

Thanks all,
Do you only fish one rod at a time during a match, or does it depend on the match?
@Dusty Rhodes pole fishing is something I have no idea about currently, I will have a look around and see what it is all about - I suspect @Neil ofthe nene probably has a blog on that too ;)

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Thanks all,
Do you only fish one rod at a time during a match, or does it depend on the match?
@Dusty Rhodes pole fishing is something I have no idea about currently, I will have a look around and see what it is all about - I suspect @Neil ofthe nene probably has a blog on that too ;)

Read my blog again. ;)

"Most matches do not allow using two rods and that includes feeding with a pole while ledgering or placing a ledger rig out using a pole cup. The rods/poles not being used should be on the bank unbaited. But ask, as my main club do allow baiting with a pole while ledgering."

As for pole fishing, read my seven part Beginner's Guide.

And

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Pole fishing doesn't have to be that expensive to get started with a second hand pole but I'd say it's a useful weapon in any match fishing arsenal and it's as simple as rod and line once you get used it.
I'd love to have a club to join to get match fishing again so if there's one available I'd go for that.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
My advice would be think long and hard about it first, I took up match fishing soon after coming back to pleasure fishing after a 20 year lay off.
Now many years later I've spent quite a bit on gear/pools/travelling etc, I fish the open circuit, it's a good laugh and I have met many great people but it has definitely ruined pleasure fishing for me, I get no joy from it anymore, I sometimes look back and think I should have just stayed pleasure fishing.

Rjays 2

Venue knowledge is invaluable....have a stroll during a match and speak to the winner at the end....winners tend to sing like canaries

sly

bit better gear,still no idea
Site Supporter
And if you ain't got a pole and a box I got both going cheap,not cheap tack rubbish either, :upthumb: :)

notneeded

The 1st pie winner 2019
Site Supporter
where do you live ?
See what venues are about that you like and which method suits you to fish a match on ?
Book a day with Neil of the Nene ?
Don't get down hearted in your fisrt few matches if you don't do very well , it can be a massive jump ,join a club .Good luck .