Think i got it all wrong

davej1981

So a a couple of days ago i had possibly my last session of the season. Its been 20 odd years since i last fished. Ive only got out 3 times but its been more than enough to reignite my fire! Ive been thinking about those sessions and whilest alot of things have come back to me i just feel like i didnt get other things quite right- mainly rig wise everything from shotting, line diameter hook size etc. As such while im not out on the bank everything will be remade all my rigs remade and shotted better, different diameter line different hook, all my hooklengths retied with different bands. Is anyone so self critical?

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I certainly go through a regular process of self evaluation and comparing what I do, or how I set up with other anglers. I think it's called self improvement. I regularly try out different terminal kit, and spent some time finding the rods and reels that I can afford and seem to suit me best. Same for reels and now I'm happy with the ones I have though it took me a few years to get there. As regards line, I've now settled on one manufacturer for feeder line, but am still trying out line for float. The problem attached to this is that I have more feeders and tied on hooklengths and rigs than I can carry and store, but I can't seem to stop buying them!

This forum has helped me tremendously to that end with sage advice

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I do the same thing when the weather is against the odds, through the Winter being the time I sort my gear. I get a lot of stick sometimes from friends and club members saying ..." Nah..you should be using this or that.." or " swap that line for this one " etc. Well, I know what I feel confident with and it's come to the point that when I walk into the tackle shop for some line for example, they know exactly what I want. There's only so much you can do though, once you've got everything how you want it, there are 2 things that will always put it to the test, one being the fish, if they're not up for it, all the tinkering in the world isn't going to help. The other is your own ability, no matter how you rig up, tie your hooks, or even fine tune your gear, you will have an off day when it all goes wrong and all that self-improving goes out the window. That's fishing for you.

rudd

Site Supporter
So a a couple of days ago i had possibly my last session of the season. Its been 20 odd years since i last fished. Ive only got out 3 times but its been more than enough to reignite my fire! Ive been thinking about those sessions and whilest alot of things have come back to me i just feel like i didnt get other things quite right- mainly rig wise everything from shotting, line diameter hook size etc. As such while im not out on the bank everything will be remade all my rigs remade and shotted better, different diameter line different hook, all my hooklengths retied with different bands. Is anyone so self critical?
You may find this harsh but retying rigs, messing with shotting, diameters, hooksizes etc etc at home will not really help understand on the day of fishing. Yes tie rigs and hooklenghts at home so they are ready when on bank but when fishing mess about with rigs, shotting, diameters and hook sizes/patterns to see what works.
It always amazes me when struggling for bites that moving droppers by a mere 1/2 cm or dropping (and sometimes increasing) a hook size or hooklength diameter can make all the difference.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Very much what Rudd said. Prime example, the other week when I was on a club lake that holds F1's, tench & crucians. I kept missing bites while fishing with a 6 inch hooklength. I don't like shot on my hooklength so I switched to a 4 inch which allowed me to have the bottom shot closer to the hook & bingo! - immediately started hitting the bites & had a contstant stream of F1's and crucians.

davej1981

You may find this harsh but retying rigs, messing with shotting, diameters, hooksizes etc etc at home will not really help understand on the day of fishing. Yes tie rigs and hooklenghts at home so they are ready when on bank but when fishing mess about with rigs, shotting, diameters and hook sizes/patterns to see what works.
It always amazes me when struggling for bites that moving droppers by a mere 1/2 cm or dropping (and sometimes increasing) a hook size or hooklength diameter can make all the difference.
I know what your saying and i can fine tune on the bank, think its just one of those confidence things that if i dont redo ill have no confidence in my rigs. I just feel my rigs were over gunned, and the bristles not shotted down enough rather than the shotting patterns. Again with hooks im happy with the hook itself, just wrong sizes!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I find myself blaming adverse conditions quite a lot, river too low, weather not right, fish not feeding etc when maybe I should just ring in a few changes and might catch, continuous improvement being the name of the game.

rudd

Site Supporter
Confidence is key, once you start doubting what you are doing you can make things worse - such as over feeding!
A mistake I made when last targeting carp!

Total

Site Supporter
I find myself blaming adverse conditions quite a lot, river too low, weather not right, fish not feeding etc when maybe I should just ring in a few changes and might catch, continuous improvement being the name of the game.

You should also remember, you've improved a lot too......;)(y)

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
OP, I don’t know how much you fished before stopping 20 years ago ... but the basic approach to fishing hasn’t changed: it’s all about striking the right balance between trying things out/experimenting vs confidence to stick to something you know will work.
when I was serious match fishing 30 years ago I definitely became overly analytical ... replaying every match and agonising over making mistakes. That lead to me becoming too defensive, rarely Blowing out but also rarely winning.
only 3 sessions this year? I’d say you haven’t had enough time yet to draw many conclusions.

IMO, the two most important things to focus on are feeding and presentation, both of which offer infinite varietc.

davej1981

OP, I don’t know how much you fished before stopping 20 years ago ... but the basic approach to fishing hasn’t changed: it’s all about striking the right balance between trying things out/experimenting vs confidence to stick to something you know will work.
when I was serious match fishing 30 years ago I definitely became overly analytical ... replaying every match and agonising over making mistakes. That lead to me becoming too defensive, rarely Blowing out but also rarely winning.
only 3 sessions this year? I’d say you haven’t had enough time yet to draw many conclusions.

IMO, the two most important things to focus on are feeding and presentation, both of which offer infinite varietc.
I fished alot 20yrs ago, 2 matches every weekend, i was a junior then, fished div 2 national at 16 and 2 seasons in angling times summer and winter leagues until i stopped at 18 so yes fished a fair bit! Its just one of those gut feelings, hard to explain but the rigs just didnt feel right! Tbf all those years ago were all natural venues (bar the odd match at places like gold valley, willow park and wylands) and now im on commercials. Perhaps im just expecting too much and walk back in where i left off ??

Silver fan 82

I'm always self analysing Dave, more so when speci carp fishing and if not getting many bites or indications. Is my rig presented right? Am I on the fish? Am I using the right bait? Etc. I honestly think that you know if something is wrong and that's the time to change it which 9 times out of 10 proves to be successful ime.
The same applies to coarse or match fishing though, if its not happening then change things and try to make it happen. Can be a small adjustment with your rig for example but can make a big difference.

BarryS

Gone fishing
Or it might just be timing. Over the last few weeks.....I can sit by the lake from late morning till about 4pm and it will be dead for me and others.. Then around 4 pm suddenly there are fish moving and they start to feed. They go bonkers for two or three hours...then if the wind turns cold ..off they go. So some people could be making minor changes around 4pm .and put their newfound success down to this and that...when actually it's just a timing thing.
I see a lot of people pack up and head off at 4:30....when I know the next couple of hours are going to be the most productive.

davej1981

Or it might just be timing. Over the last few weeks.....I can sit by the lake from late morning till about 4pm and it will be dead for me and others.. Then around 4 pm suddenly there are fish moving and they start to feed. They go bonkers for two or three hours...then if the wind turns cold ..off they go. So some people could be making minor changes around 4pm .and put their newfound success down to this and that...when actually it's just a timing thing.
I see a lot of people pack up and head off at 4:30....when I know the next couple of hours are going to be the most productive.
The timing thing certainly applies, the “dinner bell” rings about 12.30 and it goes from little action to alot - you could almost set your watch buy it! Ive always caught and got bites and my catches have been inline with the match results, i just come away feeling i could have done better!

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Even subtle things such as a brief lull or increase in wind or direction change can suddenly put the fish on/off the feed.

davej1981

So had a bit of spare time on my hands this morning so re made a couple of rigs. Feel much happier with these and using my shotting tube i could clearly see how undershotted they were, can’t believe id done them so bad before! Just need an opportunity to test them now!

davej1981

Got out today and i was much happier, felt id rectified all my errors. The re tied rigs seemed much better and i felt alot happier using them. Really felt like id fished much better all in all so was a good learning curve. Was deffo my last sesion this year and ive come away feeling today im getting back to where i was 20yrs ago