Things you don't see anymore

Zerkalo

Maybe it's just me, a few things have changed since I started fishing properlly 20 years ago, but I never see Whizzo Mix anymore!

smiffy

Site Supporter
Purple Haze caught me one or two fish on the hardest of days. Fed with a pinch of joker and worm extract for tiny Perch and Ruffe.
I know it’s still available but I rarely see pol vitamo anymore. It created a real stir many years ago.
I use it still. Anyone else?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Mystic. This was in smal tubes and you squeezed a small amount out on your side tray etc. See through red / burgandy in colour. Left to go dry for 10 minutes and then you'd roll it into what looked like a bloodworm. I've had quite a few pound of fish on this stuff. Not seen it for sale in tackle shops for years.

Zerkalo

A lot of these I either don't remember or I think probably before my time. I'd forgot all about Purple Haze though, used to be deadly on the Canal.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
You used to get float sets with a whole range of weird and wonderful floats in. I never used to know what they were all for and used them pretty randomly :rolleyes:

Zerkalo

A lot of the tackle I had when I was a kid was my dad's and probably from the 70s so there used be all kinds of different looking waggler floats.

And blockend feeders made of clear plastic like they'd been handmade that looked similar to this (can't find a better pic).
blockend.jpg

Another thing you probably won't see anymore is people catching the bus with their tackle!

Simon R

Site Supporter
I know it’s still available but I rarely see pol vitamo anymore. It created a real stir many years ago.
I use it still. Anyone else?

Wouldn't be without it (y)
Mainly in Ireland, it doesn't seem to be as effective over here - maybe the Irish fish have a better sense of smell.

Whizzo Groundbaits went out of business many years ago - which was a shame 'cos they did produce some good stuff - Stench and Irish Bag-Up I remember well. There was an attempt to relaunch some of the products after they folded but other than the odd dusty packet in the back corner of a tackle shop somewhere I don't think you'll find it.

Picardie has disappeared from the shelves too - used to be the best gudgeon groundbait available.

Simon

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Got a whicker creel in the loft.... along with my MatchBox S class...

The Runner

Site Supporter
Sensas Picardie and VDE Gudgeon Black.
Couldn't get the smell of curry off your hands after using them but gudgeon loved them- 4 whips set up at 1.5 to 4m, feed a thumbnail of it with a few joker or squatt in every three or four fish, Oxford Canal heaven....

RichB

A lot of the tackle I had when I was a kid was my dad's and probably from the 70s so there used be all kinds of different looking waggler floats.

And blockend feeders made of clear plastic like they'd been handmade that looked similar to this (can't find a better pic).
blockend.jpg

Another thing you probably won't see anymore is people catching the bus with their tackle!

I used to make feeders like that out of camera films containers, I might still have one somewhere

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
One thing I haven't seen in quite a long time is the screw-in type betalite. I used to use those in the threaded eye of my swingtips.