Things shes found me to do !

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Today, well this after

himself and I have spent the after noon, using a steam wall paper stripper, you would be surprised at the speed this old git has worked, in less than 3 hours we have denuded the sitting room walls of thier previous covering

what a bloody mess though, 4 black sacks of soggy sticky rubbish now lie next the bin in the back garden

came off quite easily though, and only a tad of the existing plaster with it, which was a bonus,

still got a bit to do, those tiny bits that you misss, but pretty pleased with our combined efforts, the next task is the application of a bit of easy fill, and the rubbing down thereoff, plus the preperation of the paintworks to finish, undercoat and gloss yet to do

an adventure out in the morning, hopefully to find 3 more lengths of coving, as that is what herself wishes, the stock of such in the shed wont quite do it

the boxes of anaglypta hessian effect papers are ready and awaiting, not quite what I would of chosen, but thats not my decision to make

the mystery is though, Im sure that when I purchased the new paper I bought a couple of boxes of solvite to use as the sticking agent, Im buggered if I can find them though, strange how they have dissapered

I bloody hate decorating with a passion, and wallpapering doubly so, not being as its something that I normally have in my remit, rather paying for a mate to do it for me

should sleep better though tonight, which will be a bonus

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Not a Bit of Wallpaper in our House and never will be, if she wants a different Decor Choice I buy it she Paints it (y) Deal or No Deal ;)

emmaemma

Site Supporter
The last time i used a steam wallpaper stripper, i was down to my underkex and lost 1/2 stone in 4 hours......like a bloody sauna....

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Steam strippers are a Nightmare if ya got Old sand lime walls, the steam gets through any cracks and releases it from the Brickwork.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I remember a old Decorator he had a old Burko Boiler, he filled it with water turned it on without the lid on and went outta the Room for an hour or so closing the door behind him. When he Returned the wallpaper was more or less hanging off, mind you it was like a sauna in there ;)

Mr Bite

Missed a bite ???
Site Supporter
I remember a old Decorator he had a old Burko Boiler, he filled it with water turned it on without the lid on and went outta the Room for an hour or so closing the door behind him. When he Returned the wallpaper was more or less hanging off, mind you it was like a sauna in there ;)
Thats what we used to do on the revites. Alway's left your steamer going while you went for breaks, shut the door behind you and make sure windows were closed. We would normally have at least 2 gas powered steamers going, one in the room you were going into next where the doors and windows were closed and one in the room you were working in. The ceiling papers were often lying on the floor wich was always a bonus because stripping ceilings with a steamer is a XXXX to do.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
bit more scratching off done and the easyfill applied where needed

bit of a search now to find a store open for the plaster coving and see iffin I can get it delivered

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Is everyone decorating ? Thought Id escaped but, no. The gaffer made me make a start last weekend. Thing is ... Weve gone from a lick of paint to, painting, emulsioning, new carpets and now new curtains. Ill get my own back one day. Ill buy a new seat box then tell her that I have to buy new floats, line and hooks to fill it. ?

lp1886

I hate removing wallpaper so I just paper over the top :) i think there are 3/4 layers on the living room ‘feature wall’. The rest is painted.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
coving and sticky sourced

Wickes, had to queue to get on thier website though, 8 minute wait

JayBee

Site Supporter
The last time I wallpapered a room my wife spotted a small blob of paste on the floor.
Then she asked "what's that?, have you been looking at the young lady across the road again"?.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
proper palaver that was

got a text sayin the order was ready, that took 4 hours to come through

drive to the store, park up, let the lad know your there, wait another half hour and they bring the stuff out on a trolley

you cant go in, all the doors are barricaded with pedestrian railings, there was about a dozen tradesmen waiting on thier orders in the car park

yet across the road, B+M bargains and pets are us look like normal trading going on