Thieving barstools and replacement kit advice please

toweliechaos

Leaving the house at 6:30am this morning to pop across to the river for a morning's fishing only to find that some festering scrotes have stolen all 4 rods and reels, along with some other bits of gear (holdalls, landing net etc.). As the rods were made up and ready to fish, I can only assume they were on foot. Not just my gear, but my son's, who only started fishing this summer. :asshole3:

So, in trying to make something positive from this mess, I'm looking to replace and improve the gear we had:

Daiwa Ninja Match 13' and Daiwa Ninja 4012a reel
Daiwa Ninja Feeder 9' and Daiwa Ninja 3000a reel
Shakespeare Feeder 11' (model unknown, gifted by a fisher friend) and some generic 1 bearing reel
Leeda Match 10' and Leeda reel (rod & reel combo)

So, I think I'd like the following:

Float rod 10/11' and reel
Feeder rod 9-11' and baitrunner reel
Spinning rod (any length) and reel
Float rod 7-10' and reel for the boy

I've only just got back into angling after many, many years away and am easily confused by the options out there. I suppose I ought to have some sort of budget and given that it's a lot of stuff to replace, I think I'd like to go reasonably cheap - I'm not exactly a matchman! The vast majority of my fishing is on the River Derwent in N Yorks (wide, deep usually slow-medium flow), with the occasional trip to a commercial somewhere.

I'm figuring I want the biggest spend on the feeder rod and reel (say max. £125-150), then the float (£100), then the spinner (£75) and finally the boy's (£40). He won't need anything flash at all but want him to have something that's not basically rubbish.

Apologies if this sort of stuff has been covered but I'm still steaming from the shock of this morning and not really in the mood for trawling! Thanks in advance.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Leaving the house at 6:30am this morning to pop across to the river for a morning's fishing only to find that some festering scrotes have stolen all 4 rods and reels, along with some other bits of gear (holdalls, landing net etc.). As the rods were made up and ready to fish, I can only assume they were on foot. Not just my gear, but my son's, who only started fishing this summer. :asshole3:

So, in trying to make something positive from this mess, I'm looking to replace and improve the gear we had:

Daiwa Ninja Match 13' and Daiwa Ninja 4012a reel
Daiwa Ninja Feeder 9' and Daiwa Ninja 3000a reel
Shakespeare Feeder 11' (model unknown, gifted by a fisher friend) and some generic 1 bearing reel
Leeda Match 10' and Leeda reel (rod & reel combo)

So, I think I'd like the following:

Float rod 10/11' and reel
Feeder rod 9-11' and baitrunner reel
Spinning rod (any length) and reel
Float rod 7-10' and reel for the boy

I've only just got back into angling after many, many years away and am easily confused by the options out there. I suppose I ought to have some sort of budget and given that it's a lot of stuff to replace, I think I'd like to go reasonably cheap - I'm not exactly a matchman! The vast majority of my fishing is on the River Derwent in N Yorks (wide, deep usually slow-medium flow), with the occasional trip to a commercial somewhere.

I'm figuring I want the biggest spend on the feeder rod and reel (say max. £125-150), then the float (£100), then the spinner (£75) and finally the boy's (£40). He won't need anything flash at all but want him to have something that's not basically rubbish.

Apologies if this sort of stuff has been covered but I'm still steaming from the shock of this morning and not really in the mood for trawling! Thanks in advance.
so sorry to here your bad news ,my only words start with fu and bas for the evil gits . Have a look on here in the classifieds and on the bay for good used tackle or have a word with Hatman at Bobco for advise .

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
When my car was broken into and a holdall with three rods and three reels was nicked, I went to see Dave at York Tackle and told him what had gone missing.
Some of the gear could not be replaced, such as a Drennan Tench rod, but they gave me a written quotation to replace my lost gear with the nearest available equivalent. The quotation was forwarded to my insurers, who paid out the full amount within a week.
Bloody annoying, but relatively painless to sort out.

Sent you a PM, I might be able to sort you out with a feeder rod, if it's still in my garage.

toweliechaos

I just wanted to add to this to let everyone know that Banksy is an absolute diamond of a person. When I was feeling less than positive about society, he shone a light of hope.

He not only gave me a great rod, he absolutely refused to take any money for it or even for his travel to meet me halfway.

Quite simply, the man is a legend. Thanks dave!

chubby chubber

Site Supporter
the cadence stuff aint the dearest and maybe get your lad a combo package which wont break the bank it will be some skagg head get a tenner for the next fix thats had your gear off n away

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
If you pay for the postage I have a Map Commercial Pellet Waggler that you can have. 11', TC of 12oz. No bag. Garage clear-out today and found it. In excellent condition.

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
I just wanted to add to this to let everyone know that Banksy is an absolute diamond of a person. When I was feeling less than positive about society, he shone a light of hope.

He not only gave me a great rod, he absolutely refused to take any money for it or even for his travel to meet me halfway.

Quite simply, the man is a legend. Thanks dave!

but he cost me £2 last week, had the biggest roach running for 2 matches :p:geek:

If he was a legend, he would have let me win.

Marker50

Site Supporter
Banksy were you covered on home insurance or a seporate fishing tackle policy

Marker50

Site Supporter
Just been looking at a tackle insure policy.
It says tackle must be in a locked boot or if no boot hidden from view.
In my estate you can see the gear so if it was covered wonder if that counts.
Mite give them a bell in morning

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Better that the rod be used to catch a few fish, than to collect dust in my garage.
Anyway, a couple of years ago, I was given a beautiful old cane rod by a gentleman of this forum, who would accept nothing for it.
What goes around, comes around.
In an ideal world, anyway. :)

@Marker50 My fishing tackle was covered on the household insurance, under a clause for sports equipment to be used outside the house, up to a value of £5000. The cover cost very little extra, certainly less than an individual policy.
My car rear window was smashed. Like you, an estate car, and the tackle was visible. I didn't question whether it needed to be out of sight, and they didn't ask, so ...
Definitely worth asking though! I'd be interested to hear what your insurers say, although I now carry an old cover in the boor, plus the windows of my new car are tinted.
It's a real sickener when you see this:

1.jpg

Marker50

Site Supporter
Thankyou for reply.
Did they open car after smashing window.
Al ring my home insurance i rekon.