These expanders...

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My dad picked up this bag of expanders from a car boot this morning, the pellet guy there is actually pretty good, it's where I started buying my 4mm Coppens Coarse from. Works out around £1 a bag I think when buying a few of them. Anyway, he got these expanders this morning after I said I was going to get a bag of the Sonubaits ones that I think you just need to soak. I take it these ones need a pump to prepare them? Cheers.

2021-06-30 08.29.06.jpg

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I think you can just soak any expanders, it's not mandatory to pump them. Just soak a few overnight & put them in the fridge to see how they go.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Ah right! I was going to go buy a pump today. First time I’ve used expanders so...

I reckon these look good. Plain pellet flavour! My dad got 10 bags of various pellets including a load of halibut pellets for barbel for £8.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Soak a few in water and see if they sink or float once fully expanded. If they float then it is best to use a pump.

On the bankside I use a small syringe, the ones that come with ink cartridge refill kits.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Cheers I’ll try that when I get home. How long would you soak them for? Overnight? As I want to use them tomorrow!

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I normally soak them overnight (make sure container is airtight - don't make the same mistake I did ). However, I've soaked the sonubait ones for as short as two hours before now, if I've made a late decision to go fishing

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Cheers. Bit of a daft question but I've never used expanders before... if I decide to buy a pump from the tackle shop today... do I need to soak them at all or does the pump mean I can do them on the bank?

Edit - think I've got it - just watched this... cheers.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Pump means you can do them on the bank. If some are still floating after you've pumped them, give them a squeeze

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Cheers mate. I hope I get them right, think I'm going to look for a pump at the tackle shop today, and also try soaking some to see which works best. Reckon the fish will love these! 😁

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
If you intend feeding normal expanders you’ll need to pump them , if just hookbaits you don’t need to bother, cover them with water, in a plastic bag and squeeze the air out , this will keep them dense, and hook able, if you just leave them in a tub of water they will expand too much, and become mushy very quickly

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Cheers mate. My dad did already pick up a cheap pump today from a tackle shop so I'm going to do some the way you say and some in the pump and see what happens. He was told to dry them out with kitchen towel slightly after pumping before putting them in an airtight bag in the fridge. Said it had been years since anyone had asked him for a pump.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
After you pump expanders are they meant to be hookable pretty much straight away or is leaving them in the fridge necessary? Reason I say is that the ones I've just tried pumping... some are mushy... some are crunchy. The ones I've got in bags with a tiny bit of water in are looking much better but I'll see in the morning.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
After you pump expanders are they meant to be hookable pretty much straight away or is leaving them in the fridge necessary? Reason I say is that the ones I've just tried pumping... some are mushy... some are crunchy. The ones I've got in bags with a tiny bit of water in are looking much better but I'll see in the morning.
Soak the pellets first for 5 minutes before you pump them , this stops them splitting as air is forced into them , I prefer once pumped to squirt a little bit of oil based flavouring on them , this keeps them moist, and hook able, and stops them blowing up ….I don’t like keeping expanders in water, as they swell too big, and go mushy

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Cheers again. Turns out both methods were spot on. I just kept the expanders in a tub on the bank and they didn't dry out.

Will be using these expander things again!

booboo

Site Supporter
Had some luck with vegetable glycerine. Started with a 20% to 80% water mix and now just done some at 60/40 which are better. Tried soaking in pure glycerine but that didn't work Produces a very soft pellet that is still robust enough for the pole, maybe not enough to cast on a waggler though.