These Cheap Baitrunner Reels

nejohn

Site Supporter
Good shout, but notice they only have the 2500 size in stock. What's the line lay like on them and do they suffer with any line twist at all?
One thing I will say is that the Regal is a better reel than the Shimano ST baitrunner that it replaced, it is smoother and has much better line lay and just feels a nicer reel, I once heard the cheaper Shimano baitrunners described as 'Agricultural' and that was probably about right, the regal is much more refined, my only very slight niggle is the baitrunner lever works the opposite way to what you would expect, ie forward to engage the baitrunner but once you have used it a few times it sort of makes sense

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I use the Vigor Carp reels. Price has risen recently but you can still buy a pair of 40 or 60 size reels for under £30. Ideal if the rods are used infrequently.

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
Maverick,

I have various shimano baitrunners,which I bought, some not used, some bought 2nd hand and serviced because I was so impressed by them. Old age has advanced faster than I have used my reels. What model are you looking for:

I would mind selling one - to reduce my stock.

Rather it went to someone who appricates them rather than trying to resell on at a fast buck.

bezzer

Site Supporter
I use the Vigor Carp reels. Price has risen recently but you can still buy a pair of 40 or 60 size reels for under £30. Ideal if the rods are used infrequently.

Same here Neil. I use mine for my Barbel and Tench fishing. For the money they're great.

JayD

Site Supporter
Speaking as a 'tight' Yorkshireman, I can recommend from personal experience, 'Crivit' reels if you can find them. They are usually sold by Lidl in their yearly tackle slots. I bought my first one in a job lot of tackle I spotted in a charity shop about 6/7 years ago, for about £6, and it's still working well today. I didn't know it was from Lidl until I was in the store a few years later, and saw the same reel, they just had one left, so I bought it, for around £12, I think, and it's just as good as the first one. It's a sturdy well built reel, with a front and rear drag system, a bait runner function, and a spare spool!
What's to lose?

John.

grey

Site Supporter
Shimano might edge it on design and engineering innovations, but the mid to lower end Okuma's are far better built than their Shimano counterpart, they use better quality internal parts too.

Alcedo make good budget baitrunner style reels.

Can't comment on Crivit.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I bought a pair of Mivardi Kappa 4000 reels, spooled them up and had a few casts in the late summer, but not christened them yet. Very very smooth, and seem solidly built.

Maverick

Site Supporter
Speaking as a 'tight' Yorkshireman, I can recommend from personal experience, 'Crivit' reels if you can find them. They are usually sold by Lidl in their yearly tackle slots. I bought my first one in a job lot of tackle I spotted in a charity shop about 6/7 years ago, for about £6, and it's still working well today. I didn't know it was from Lidl until I was in the store a few years later, and saw the same reel, they just had one left, so I bought it, for around £12, I think, and it's just as good as the first one. It's a sturdy well built reel, with a front and rear drag system, a bait runner function, and a spare spool!
What's to lose?

John.
None around at the moment but do look good for money. Doubt Lidl will have anymore until next spring/summer now.

Maverick

Site Supporter

What's the drag like Neil, do you play your fish off the drag or backwind?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Never used a drag ever since Ivan Marks advocated backwinding. First thing I do with a new reel is wind it full on and the baitrunner full off.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Not sure what size or application you are looking for, but if its commercial use, then stretch to another tenner and get a shimano stfa 2500- paid 45 for my mine i think.

Ted Crilly

Have a look at KastKing reels i've several and I cant say as there's anything to raise an eyebrow to for the money.

Sad Teacher

I bought a Korum Shadow freespool. Wish I hadn't felt nice when no load but winding a feeder in (20gm) it started to grind and got hard to turn handle. Contacted Korum who said send it back to shop. I never did ?

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
You fell unlucky mate.
Use my on my method feeder rod and had three 20s on it and plenty of upper teens.
Cracking reel.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
I bought 3 Okuma Interceptor 60 reels about 25 years ago, for piking in Scotland. since then they have been in regular use. they have had virtually no care and attention, I think I did oil them once, but that was years ago. They have landed 30lb pike, 45lb carp and 100 lb wels catfish with no problems. I wll be using them this weekend.
Buy the Okuma (y)

abbo27

I have a Shimano mini Baitrunner and a similar sized Okuma, and much prefer the Okuma. I can't really explain why, it just feels smoother. In a match yesterday, it landed me 68lb, with fish up to about 14 lb, with no fuss, though sadly, is often given a lot less work to do. Parts are readily available for the Shimano (I am not sure about the Okuma, but mine has never needed any), but they are so expensive, £6.25 (inc P&P) for a single screw that joins the baitrunner lever parts together.

Simon90

I have a couple of Okuma reels, including the Okuma Longbow Baitrunner (Which is unfortunately just out of your budget). I find them to be excellent reels. I think you get a lot of reel for your money with Okuma.

jimbo1946

Another vote for okuma's. Remember they did a model called the "tolledo"High spec reel.They stated in their promo speil that they used to make reels for shimano but have now started selling under their own brand.Cant vouch for the truth of that but seem to recall it wasn't questioned.