These Cheap Baitrunner Reels

Maverick

Site Supporter
Well one of my baitrunner reels has finally had its day and I need to replace it a.s.a.p. as cheaply as possible.

Already got 2 shimano baitrunners which are excellent but having just insured the car, mot due tomorrow and tax due before xmas I can't afford another one at the moment.

Been looking at the cheap Rovex & Okuma baitrunners in the £30 - £35 bracket.

Does anyone have any experience of these cheap reels and if so are they worth taking a chance on?

nejohn

Site Supporter
Take a look a the Daiwa regal range they are pretty good for the cash, I have a couple that I use occasionally and they are fine fairly smooth and powerful only come with one spool, size wise I have the 2500's which are about right for general feeder fishing. I paid £35 for them at angling direct

Maverick

Site Supporter
Take a look a the Daiwa regal range they are pretty good for the cash, I have a couple that I use occasionally and they are fine fairly smooth and powerful only come with one spool, size wise I have the 2500's which are about right for general feeder fishing. I paid £35 for them at angling direct
Good shout, but notice they only have the 2500 size in stock. What's the line lay like on them and do they suffer with any line twist at all?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I had a pair of Okuma Longbows... superb reels...

BoldBear

I had a pair of Okuma Longbows... superb reels...

I noticed that you said “I had” rather than “I have”; do you not still have them Arry? and if not why did you get rid of them if they were so good Arry? :unsure::giggle:

(Only kidding)

Keith

Total

Site Supporter
@Maverick ......Hello mate.... (y) ....I know you like to leave your rods made up, can you not make do with the two Shimmies you have (obviously means breaking down rods/remake etc) until the money situ' is a bit better?

False economy making do and money that could be saved for a new Shimano....;)

nejohn

Site Supporter
Good shout, but notice they only have the 2500 size in stock. What's the line lay like on them and do they suffer with any line twist at all?
Line lay is fine and I have not had any issues with line twist, but to be fair I have them fitted to feeder rods and I don't do a lot of feeder fishing, also I backwind so don't use the clutch which helps a lot to stop line twist

Maverick

Site Supporter
@Maverick ......Hello mate.... (y) ....I know you like to leave your rods made up, can you not make do with the two Shimmies you have (obviously means breaking down rods/remake etc) until the money situ' is a bit better?

False economy making do and money that could be saved for a new Shimano....;)
Hi Mark, I have toyed with the idea but it would be a bit of a ball ache to be honest as the two rods with the shimanos on are in regular use at the moment. (y)

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I noticed that you said “I had” rather than “I have”; do you not still have them Arry? and if not why did you get rid of them if they were so good Arry? :unsure::giggle:

(Only kidding)

Keith
I let a mate have one after he had his kit stolen I still have the other

Total

Site Supporter
Hi Mark, I have toyed with the idea but it would be a bit of a ball ache to be honest as the two rods with the shimanos on are in regular use at the moment. (y)

And it may be "ball ache" in the long run with a cheaper (unknown quantity) baitrunner mate....;)

Maverick

Site Supporter
@Maverick do your shimano reels have 2 spools. If you leave them made up just swap the body over !

I actually have one of these that allows an angler to do just that. Unfortunately not any help to me in this instance. I need another reel.

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
I have 3 Okuma baitrunners (a bit more expensive than the ones your looking at) and they have been very good. They are as good as my various Shimano baitrunners and better than the Daiwa Regal baitrunners I had years ago.

I say that as someone who has been Shimano reels for 99% of my carp, barbel and specimen fishing for the last 25 years. And Shimano for my match reels apart from the Silstar reel I started out with years ago and the Daiwa 2508 QDA I used for the first time last week.

rudd

Site Supporter
Well one of my baitrunner reels has finally had its day and I need to replace it a.s.a.p. as cheaply as possible.

Already got 2 shimano baitrunners which are excellent but having just insured the car, mot due tomorrow and tax due before xmas I can't afford another one at the moment.

Been looking at the cheap Rovex & Okuma baitrunners in the £30 - £35 bracket.

Does anyone have any experience of these cheap reels and if so are they worth taking a chance on?
In 2011ish I bought two JW Avon deluxe rods that came with free rovex nitrium baitrunners.
I intended to replace with Shimano when they broke.
They are still on rods and going strong! ?