Thermals

rob_v

Hi guys
I'm looking for some thermals I have been told to buy merino wool. I went in a shop today and I was told a long sleeve top base layer will cost me £70 !!!
Was hoping to get top and bottoms for about that price i don't mind spending the money as long as it keeps me warm
M&S do an extra warm thermal top for about £22 that contains wool ?
Any advice would be great, thanks rob

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I got the tracker top and bottom base layer for Christmas and although I've only worn them once so far they did seem very good. Only about £30 I believe.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
Years ago I bought a Sundridge waterproof set and it came with some ‘sleepskin‘ thermals. I still use the top and would still use the bottoms if I knew where they were (house moves!). Daiwa took on sundridge and still sell the sleepskin thermals, about£35 on eBay with a neck warmer. They are furry lined and slightly thicker than base layers.

crag

Both Daiwa and Sundridge do the sleepskin thermals, and are what I'd recommend
The new type are a bit thicker than the older version, and there is an option of hooded or neckwarmer version.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Go Outdoors is your friend... plenty of base layer thermals there for not a lot of cash

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Hi guys
I'm looking for some thermals I have been told to buy merino wool. I went in a shop today and I was told a long sleeve top base layer will cost me £70 !!!
Was hoping to get top and bottoms for about that price i don't mind spending the money as long as it keeps me warm
M&S do an extra warm thermal top for about £22 that contains wool ?
Any advice would be great, thanks rob

Merino. The Bentley of wool.

richox12

I've never worn anything under my jacket other than 2 sweatshirts (a large over a medium - nothing else) and have never had a cold body (fingers are something else !).

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Sundridge are a good brand, used to have some of their thermals and still have one of their floatation suits.

lp1886

Years ago I bought a Sundridge waterproof set and it came with some ‘sleepskin‘ thermals. I still use the top and would still use the bottoms if I knew where they were (house moves!). Daiwa took on sundridge and still sell the sleepskin thermals, about£35 on eBay with a neck warmer. They are furry lined and slightly thicker than base layers.
Got a Daiwa sleepskin for Xmas and it does feel very warm. Wore it last weekend and it was miles better than my previous Preston undersuit.

Reuben

Site Supporter
Mountain Warehouse do merino base layers at a very good price as do Aldi when they get them in. Merino is the best out there for the job, though imo. You could buy a merino crew neck jumper at TK Maxx in a size smaller than your normal and use that as a base layer - works just as well.