Theresa May to warn tech firms over terror content

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Technology companies must go "further and faster" in removing extremist content, Theresa May is to tell the United Nations general assembly.

The prime minister will also host a meeting with other world leaders and Facebook, Microsoft and Twitter.

She will challenge social networks and search engines to find fixes to take down terrorist material in two hours.

Tech giant Google said firms were doing their part but could not do it alone - governments and users needed to help.

The prime minister has repeatedly called for an end to the "safe spaces" she says terrorists enjoy online.

Ministers have called for limits to end-to-end encryption, which stops messages being read by third parties if they are intercepted, and measures to curb the spread of material on social media.
#9726;UK 'biggest audience' in Europe for jihadist web content

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41327816

.... is she right or wrong, does the government need to step in and force censorship on the internet?

Personally I don't think the government should have to do so in the first place but unless the likes of Facebook, Google (Youtube) et el start to moderate their content in a reasonable and swift manner then something needs to happen.

Take for instance Facebook - report something offensive, graphic, etc and you get the standard reply that they've reviewed the content and it doesn't go against their policies (or something like)
A few things I've reported should not have been filmed in the first place let alone broadcasted for all to see, their moderation sucks big time.
Youtube (owned by Google) are the same, try getting something removed. There's countless tales out there of people reporting content for it to be seemingly ignored, Youtube's answer is that they receive so many requests it cannot all be processed in a timely manner.

The end user are the eyes and ears of most moderating teams, they see the content and if given the tools report it, often before moderators do especially in busy times. I personally believe complaints are exponential and if you are receiving large volumes of complaints many are complaining about the same thing - hit that one and the numbers will drop. Hit them in a timely manner and you should receive fewer complaints.

There's no place on the internet for some of the content out there and if companies are to provide the means to add content then they should also have the means to moderate it.
Maybe it's time for the big boys to spend some of their massive profits moderating the content they allow to be posted and if they can't or won't then perhaps T May is right, hit them with fines until they do

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Now i could be mistaken here Wise Owl...but i'm pretty sure the internet isn't based in Britain so i can't understand how stopping the DWP from giving the tech firms benefits is going to stop terrorists in Iraq, Iran, Syria, Libya etc from posting stuff on the internet?

Ahhhh hold on you're talking about the people in this country who read it...people like Birmingham born Junaid Hussain and his wife Sally Jones, Cardiff born Reyaad Khan, London born Rapper Abdel Bary, Cardiff born Nasser Muthana and his brother Aseel, Glasgow born Aqsa Mahmood (she was apparently tipped to be a future Conservative prime minister!)...or do you mean all the silly British born girls who ran away to "marry" jihadists?

I really don't think people coming here to blow us up are thinking about how much they can scrounge off the welfare system, especially the ones who enter illegaly!!

As it stands they are finding more and more ways to listen in on our calls, intercept our emails, have a look at our web browsing etc and now she is talking about controlling the content on the internet.

It's no secret that certain american, russian and British "agencies" have set up "secure VPNs"....that people are buying into wihout realising they have just made it easier for "security agencies" to nose around their behaviour etc!

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
oh well.... comment was removed whilst i was tping!

Indeco

Account Closed
I have nothing to hide so it wouldnt bother me. Its a bit like taking swabs for DNA from everyone and all new born children plus anyone who visits this country even if only for a day trip. Why not? Make it all compulsory.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
DNA database yes but organ donation maybe not I mean ya don't know who it's gonna save do ya ?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Tech firms have been warned often enough. Time for action.

They want to run their sites, they have to take responsibility for the content. If they haven't the resources to ensure they are not enabling criminal acts then perhaps they should close their sites down.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Funny enough I wouldn't want *****k all of any o yer never have never will [^]

Soprano

Account Closed
Originally posted by Phoenixicus

Like that Indeco
[:D][:D][:D][:D]

Owly wouldn't know what to do when the commonsense and the tolerance section of my brains left hemisphere kicks in.
His body would probably go into shock,would say overload his heart but he hasn't got one
[:D][:D][:D]
Thats a bit harsh on WO. I like him just how he is love2.gif

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by Indeco

I have nothing to hide so it wouldnt bother me. Its a bit like taking swabs for DNA from everyone and all new born children plus anyone who visits this country even if only for a day trip. Why not? Make it all compulsory.

There are plenty of other people out there who beleive the same thing, just imagine how easy it will be to falsify "printed" evidence from a computer

Indeco

Account Closed
Originally posted by Trogg

Originally posted by Indeco

There are plenty of other people out there who beleive the same thing, just imagine how easy it will be to falsify "printed" evidence from a computer
These days they can falsify most things anyway. They used to say you are never more than 10 foot away from a rat. Now its 20 foot from a CCTV camera. It doesnt bother me. If it makes the world a safer place and helps to obliterate the scum walking the streets then bring it on. Why not microchip everyone with there ID details like you do with pets. Only those with something to hide will object. Big brother is coming as the technology improves so its inevitable [:T]

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Would surely eliminate a lot of police work, just put up the persons name and picture that matches the DNA and a reward to doff em in [:T]

Last edited: