theres Gold in that there pond

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
after chatting to a few fellow adherents of all thing piscatorial,

I found I had a plethora of competetive events to chose from this Wednesday, I could attend at either, Sumners ponds in sussex, Marshside fishery north east kent or pop over to chequertree for the wednesday open

The match at Sumners, after a bit of On-line banter was decided to be a Premier league event, and as I was only an angler of Cherry red record west allotment league division 4 south, (eastern section) standard, and not withstanding that it was a 2 hour 90 mile drive each way, this was swerved, leaving a choice between the other two

now the Marshside gig was the local layabouts and pensioners weekly match and as my sponsor the ever smiling and most laid back Nick Gilbert was booked on to play, it was thought that having the entire NG floats and tackle match team at a single event might very well be a tad of overkill, and so

that left the wednesday open at Chequertree fisherys as a singular option,

this regular match has been running for a few months now, organised by Andy of Tenterden guns and tackle, and has been very sucesseful drawing between 15 to 30 attendees each week, its a pleasant gig, bit of friendly banter, cafe arranged to be open for a brekkie munch, good atmosphere and a very good winter fishery

So sucessful in fact, its now getting a fair bit of notice on the local match scene and a high standard of match anglers are now booking on,

this was so, as I found early this wedneday morn,

after arriving at the fishery in good time for the 7.30-8.00am draw, I mooched over to the cafe for a very nice breakfast roll and a cuppa char, the weather was trying its hardest to put me off, starting raining as I bit down through the bread stick loaded with bacon and egg,

big fat raindrops, the kind you get in late summer-early autumn, each one when hitting the surface of the lake making its own water crater and miniature tsunami of ripples across the still surface, it was warm rain though, earlier, much earlier whilst walking a small black dog of my aquaintance, I had begun to sweat under the 4 layers of clothing that I had deemed required before actually venturing outside

the cafe filled gently, greetings passed and comments flung each and every way, football discussed, when lo and behold a few faces that I had known from a while back filtered in, Half the preston Innovations team Delcac no less !!

now this team, has had a stranglehold on competetive angling in Kent for a few years, normally winning or being thereabouts on most or if not all the kent leagues and competitions,

might have to up my game this week !

andys sorted the pegs we are using today, as we have the whole of lake one to fish, apart from a lad on peg 11, thats hoofing a big method pleasure fishing for carp,

the draw bag of chance is held up and after passing her majestys purple prommisary note over to the organisor, in delved the golden hand

Peg 34 was inscribed on the token that what was now the hand of rust, a long walk from the car park, right round the back of the lake, stuck in the corner of the small pond, (lake 1 being divided into almost 2 sections by a long point)

new peg for me, I had only ever drawn on the small section of the lake on the point itself, never on the far bank as its rarely used on the league matches we have there, never mind its a day out and another chance of a coin or two

first sight as I parked up the loaded up preston pram was not exactly encouraging, the wind had picked up a tad and was blowing towards me as I set the box and angling paraphanalia that was required up

in fact, it was right in my face, now normally this is a good omen at chequertree, the fish like to follow the wind, as so that was a plus, the minus was, pretty near every bit of detritus that had been floating around the pond had decided to form a convoy and drop anchor right in front of the peg, the margin to my right being particulaly affected, the sticky ups there holding onto the small branches, twigs and floating weed

bit of a change of set up this week, not knowing the potential of the peg, I decided that, as it was an all to count match, rather than just silverfish, I would set a couple of kits up for carp and also a tip rod for lobbing the method, the normal workhorse, and silvers kits were to be employed to

the carp kits were to fish the 6 and 11 mtr lines, two of them,

both were NG amber core black hollow elastic rated 12-16 as the carp in this pond grow big and fight hard, (all types are present from F1's to big commons, leather and mirrors)

both rigs had NG XT gimp 0.5gr floats to silkshock 0.17 rig lines, with a drennan carp bandit size 16 ready tied hooklength, and a drennan size 18 silverfish pellet hook on the other, both shotted with a bulk and just a no10 stotz dropper

the workhorse "fish to hand" was in use again, NG white hollow elastic 6-10, NG 0.6 finesse glass stemmed float, 0.14 rig line, 0.10 hooklength to a 18 drennan silverfish maggot hook
one set to fish top 3 to hand, one set to fish top 4

margin rig NG XT margin 0.2, shotted to fish hard on depth for edge carp, rig lines as above,

plus a hillbilly gazzunder 6x10 as above for the margin silver fish

just as the all in was called the wind started picking up a bit more,

out went the long pole to 11 mtrs and the groundbait, consisting of a mix of marukyu 161 and 2mm skretting soaked pellets was deposited thus, 3 tangerines on each long line, at 10 oclock, midday and 2 oclock, leaving this to settle, a good handful of disco maggot was bunged to the front on the top 3 line and out went the workhorse

I had found on plumbing up around the peg on all the intended lines that it was quite shallow, no where had more than about 3 foot of depth, dragging the plummet around hadnt really shown any features either, apart from a bit of a drop off on the margin lines around 18 inches, 2 foot out from the bank

the float settled, the bulk doing its job of getting the bait down quickly, it sat there, pinging a pinch of maggot over the top, and a bit of lifting and dropping tempted the first fish of the day, small roach, Banzai, I thought, no blank,

same line, same tactic for the first half hour, few more eyes and arses, nothing of a size, 2oz fish was a bonus,
switching between the 10-12-2 oclock lines kept them coming, but the weight in the keepnet wasnt exactly building up a huge amount,

feeding a handfull of gentles and leaving it, I tried summat else

the first carp attack of the year, out went the long sections of carbon, the old Spectron wasnt sure what hit it, having not been used most of the winter, the tubes slid effortlessly through the hands due to the wash and polish up with a tad of "Autoglym" I had given them earlier in the winter

the ripple from the wind had now grown into smallish waves and the floats sight tip was bobbing through them, was that a bite ? I wasnt sure, dipped again and then it slid under, quick lift proved there was a resistance on the end, fish on,

clumsily shipping back, lack of practice I suppose, I did my best to try and knock the fish off, missing the back roller and having to sorta twist myself and the pole back into line, the beast was coming in softly though, didnt seem to be a hard fighting carp and so it was proved as a small skimmer about half pound in weight broke surface, net under and unhooked, biggest fish of the day so far

bait up and out again, not before I had taken an ablution break, and reset the roller to where it shoulda been set in the first place, bloody numpty sometimes mick !

same line, 5 mins later, same bite, same fish, but a bit smaller,

this wasnt going to plan, I looked at the tip rod, sat sitting there all set up with the method screaming, use me, use me, And ignored it

an hour on the long line had produced around 3lb ish of small skimmers this was getting me no where, though from what I could see of the other 3 anglers in veiw, they wasnt exactly baggin either

out came the workhorse again, now the wind had deffo picked up a bit more during the long pole interlude and I was having trouble flicking the to hand rig out, it was folding back on itself before landing and ruining the arc of fall

quick rummage through the rig cases, produced a 0.8 olivette shotted set up, hastily changing the existing 0.6 to the heavier bulked float, made it easier, still not perfect, but usable, there were nothing else in there to use so that was that, poor preperation michael old son,

out again, and feeding the gentles by catty, a few more roach began to grace the net, still slow on the weight gain though, it seemed I was getting no where fast,

try the margins micky, see whats living there

so, yet another change and out again, the gazzunder was flicked out next the sticky ups and buried almost immeadiately, redfin, about 4oz, bloody specimen eh ?

out again, more fish, bigger than out to the front, but not the normal dogs that lurk amongst the reeds,

out again and the wind caught the lightweight gazzunder in flight leading its trajectory straight into the aforementioned reeds, hooked up and pulling produced a broken hooklength, bugger

out with the second margin rig, more fish, and half hour later the same fate befalls it as the first of its kind

swear, swear, swear,

now my favourite method is long line to hand, and I had persisted at this most of the day, but the wind gods and my obstinacy had resulted in two wrecked rigs and down time when the baits should of been in the water

shuffling through the rig cases again, another set up was chosen and cut down to suit, with just a foot of line between the pole tip and float, plumbed up on the quick and set to use of the right hand marginal area, a good angler would of done this far before I did, live and learn

out again with 5 sections of pole following it, the rig was Positively placed up against the reeds, far more control being exerted, wind not a problem now, float buries and the first decent roach of the day gets shopped in,

quick refeed with 5 tangerines of groundbait on the long line and then back in close

better fish, but the method is much slower, having to ship in and break down to a top two, but the weights building, hour of this and im feeling better

it starts raining, that get you wet fine stuff, whipping into me with the wind

another look on the long line, big bite, laccy streams out, oooow a carp, nod nod nod on the tip proves its not so, though a decent skimmer of around a pound and a half is netted, half hour of struggle in the now big drops of rain and wind produces a few more smaller snotties

back to the margin, this time Im feeding and using the half pint or so of caster that I had riddled of the maggot the night before, better fish resulted, roach to 6 oz maybe, then a huge pull, elastics out, floats on a journey across the lake, this has gotta be a carp, it tussled then tusseled some more, all Im thinking is dont come off, please dont come off, eventually getting down to the topkit and net at the ready, I still hadnt seen a sight of the beast as its boring through the water, pressure applied (please dont come off), and a golden flank appears then dives down again, turning it, it comes in, net under deftly and a beast of a golden tench greets my surprised eyes

lovely fish, the red eyes gleaming like rubies as I carefully remove the hook, shinng in the light, its a sight, first tench of the year for me, not huge, but 4lb if it its an ounce, that cheesy grin lights up my face as I look at it, god makes some gorgeous things dont he!

well that was the highlight, I had a few more skimmers and roach, but was glad when the whistle went

the scales arrived and the quarry was weighed, 25lb dead, mixed bag

the board declared I had finished 7th overall, the winning weights were

1st, 56lb 4oz to rob tilbury (carp and silvers)
2nd, 53lb to kevin dyer (carp and silver)
3rd, 49lb to paul ? (carp and silvers)

not bad for a coldish february day,

roll on sunday, 7th round of the silvers league on monks fishery, lake 4

Last edited:

DFL

Site Supporter
Nice write up Mick, I already knewthe result as Rob was very quick to post the news on Facebook.[:)]

Last edited:

Bill G

Grandad
Mick did you try the method feeder at all?
from my limited knowledge of chequer tree and the size the bream can go ,would a worm and ground bait line not be worth a bash.
decent result though mate and not the best weather.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
No Bill,

it hust sat there all unloved and getting wet, in hindsight, it was a viable option,

worm does work well, with GB and caster, I dint take any with me

maggot, pellet, caster and corn, didnt even open the corn can either

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Enjoyable read as always Mick, always nice to see a nice "Goldie" in the net.[:T]

emmaemma

Site Supporter
Excellent reading Mick. you certainly have a way with words....[:T]

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
thanks, its nice to get a comment or two on the reports

good or bad,

Indi68

The Controller
brilliant read as usual, i find your way of writing very interesting and it has me reading in anticipation.

Status
Not open for further replies.