There and back again,

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well yesterday was the day

The day I finally let go of the majority of my early mandrel diawa poles

couple of weeks back I put a post up in the classifieds, offering them up for sale, the reasons being, not only had I run out of room, but had actually splashed the cash on a brand new pole, Ive never had a new one before, just secondhand, a new Airity XLS from Bobcos, after reading a post on here about the discount they were offering

the Airity arrived the day after ordering and is a fine looking thing, unbaptised as yet, but sitting resplendantly in a near new preston hardcase holdall along with a shedload a topkits and extra sections, short and long 4's, spare 5's, phex's et all, all loaded with brand new laccies and fitted throughout with protectapole PTFE cappings on each section and the kits

sunday is its debut, out with the Mighty Oak on the third road of the winter silvers league, surely with such a tool, I cannot fail to come home with an envelope and a bunch of points

today, the new rollers arrived, pair of matrix duos, bought for the ability to use for double shipping, fine strong looking things, with quite a few features, though one of these had me puzzled at first, playing with them earlier, I was mystified by how tight the braces for the legs were, even thought about giving a rub with a candle to make it easier, until I noticed there was a locking clip that really needed undoing before my brute force and ignorance was applied, Doh !

being as the above are new, Ive also got out the drennan luggage that was bought for my birthday back in october, new EVA net bag, a mahoosive insulted bait bag and a medium sized carryall, and shifted all the required kit into these, those buggers wont recognise this old bank tramp on sunday, proper dazzle em with shiny stuff

back to the old poles, a long day of cleaning off encrusted gunk, dry slime, scales and muck, went out and bought a tub of industrial wipes for the purpose and damn near used em all, then a wash over with soapy water and a drying with one of the wenches new microfibre cloths (she dont know about that,the pain will come later)

clean carbon sorted, each seperate pole, listed as to condition, and spare sections gone through, found as many caps and tubes as I could and got ready for the day of delivery

phone calls , PM's and texts swapped between us reaching right across the country, monies agreed, time and dates confirmed, the trusty T4 deiseled up and ready to go

Maidenhead was the destination, the buyers mother in law lived there and was roughly half way between my abode on the channel coast and the buyers in stafford, kill two birds with one stone, visit the ma in law and go home carbon rich

sunday dawned, well not quite dawned, I was on the road afore sun up, leaving the black dog to bark at his displeasure of being abandoned, the turbo diesel thrummed into life and headed for the 50 miles of roadworks and brexit lane closures on the M20

its now a long old drive heading north, the majority of it down to two lanes and either 40 or 50mph restrictions and all covered by those yellow cameras that show your speed over set distances, still, I had plenty time, so joining the rolling queue I sat following other british reg'ed cars and vans in the slow lane that was originally the hard shoulder, not all obey the limits, its quite scarey how many of the foriegn 40 tonners shoot past you in the right hand lane, doing 60mph, no tickets for them, total disdain of the restrictions in place, notwithstanding it was raining as well so their thtrowing up huge clouds of spray,

onto the M26, then hit europes biggest car park the M25, surprisingly clear and we are making good time, quick halt for a pee and to top up the insulated cup with coffee from the flask at clacket lane services then back onto the road, iffin I had to say the thing I dislike about the M25 the most, its not the traffic, its the way its built, outta concrete slabs rather than tarmac, the constant thrumming of the tyres over the joints, really grates after a while and the stereo gets whacked up louder, though the vibrations still thunder through the van,

off onto the M4, not too far on here until the junction beckons me back on to suburban roads and tarmac, thank god

tis proper posh here, the houses are huge, and I dont think Ive ever seen so many porsches on the road, yet another turn off, this one leads along the banks of the thames, houseboats and islands, slowed right down here to gawp, though it looked up and running through, it still tightened my balls thinking of fishing it, looked the dogs doo dahs,

stopped in a car park on the banks to eat a pie and have another brew and watched the water slide bye, mentally chucking a feeder or a big wag to eddies and glides

gotta get on, text had come through, buyer was near at the rendezvous, so up and running again,

5 mins up the road and Im there, just unbuckling the seatbelt and the buyer "Chappo" pulls up,

quick meet and greet and invited inside for a cuppa tea, met the missus and hes brought his pup too, nice little wheaten coloured Bedlington terrier, made a mate inside a 30 seconds, quick earholing and some strokey bits and shes up in the crook of my arm while Im supping the tea, magic !

hour or so later, tis time to swap lucre for carbon, deals are done and the poles swap transport

more strokes and earholin an a invite to the pup for an adventure to the south coast, then its time to retrace the steps,

been a fine old time, was really nice to meet you and yours mate, and I hope you enjoy the spectrons and tourneys as much as I have done

you meet the nicest people on "drowners"

Last edited:

Total

Site Supporter
Reads like a right proper nice day with the added bonus of meeting up with one of 'Drowners' real Gents. (y)

....Just knew there was an inner 'tackle tart' within you waiting to arise! ;)......Enjoy the new pole and here's hoping in brings you much pleasure (and success on Sunday) (y)

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Reads like a right proper nice day with the added bonus of meeting up with one of 'Drowners' real Gents. (y)

....Just knew there was an inner 'tackle tart' within you waiting to arise! ;)......Enjoy the new pole and here's hoping in brings you much pleasure (and success on Sunday) (y)
Lets see some piccies when you set up mate, before it gets dirty:p

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Mick who insulted your bait box, you tell us and we'll get him for ya. :)

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
@mickthechippy you ever EVER do that again pal and i'll not only ban you i'll find you and burn ya van as well!!

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Mentioned Chappo and Stafford..... he may be from the Shire but he isn't from the county town pal.......he's from Lichfield >hack spit< ;)

Wise Owl

Account Locked
he's from Lichfield, Urggggggggggggggggggh whats someone from that posh place doing buying second hand ? ;);)

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
he's from Lichfield, Urggggggggggggggggggh whats someone from that posh place doing buying second hand ? ;);)

Probably planning on sticking the poles on top of the cathedral to use them as lightning conductors ;)

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter

the tale is that he is a river, canal and silvers angler

and is of the opinion as many others are, that the Daiwa will raison Spectron competition pole is probably the carlsberg of carbon for anglers that conspire to fish thus like,

and now he owns three of them along with enough spares to last a lifetime

and enough tournament X's to either use as carpy mudpig chasers or sell on to recover the money hes spent buying the entire package

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I was joking mate ?I know there ain’t no posh areas around that way ????

Total

Site Supporter
the tale is that he is a river, canal and silvers angler

and is of the opinion as many others are, that the Daiwa will raison Spectron competition pole is probably the carlsberg of carbon for anglers that conspire to fish thus like,

and now he owns three of them along with enough spares to last a lifetime

and enough tournament X's to either use as carpy mudpig chasers or sell on to recover the money hes spent buying the entire package

Did you keep a carp pole Mick?......My apologies for not knowing what your new pole is capable of....(y)

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Did you keep a carp pole Mick?......My apologies for not knowing what your new pole is capable of....(y)

yes mate, that I did, a conni 510, though the description of it being a carp pole might be a bit strong, it being a very good all rounder would be better

plus Ive got out the Tourney pro X that sat upstaires doing nowt since I bought it off a mate that was short of cash, he aint never come back to either buy it back or even said about it since, and the mandrels the same as the airity so it will be the spare sections for that