There’s method in my (carp) madness - Neville Park, Snodland

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Managed to get onto the lake quite early today, there by 8:00 but the swim i wanted in the far bank already had a bivvy on it & a couple of other overnighters dotted around so it was the centre swim on the near bank and out into the middle again

65FDAE1A-9E74-4398-8FA2-F7EFF46C24F8.jpeg

Overcast, odd blustery showers and sudden breezes meant it was not going to be an easy day - out went the trusty Drennan 15g flat bottomed in-line method feeder to a spot 20yds out and on went the timer for 10mins.

Destined not to learn as I was pottering around with bits in the seat box as the rod crashed round and I mucked up the first bite of the session - DOH !

A grumpy re-cast landed 5yds long but after only 6mins the tip whanged around again and this time I was on the ball steering in a tidy 6.5lb common.

It then started raining boilies all over my swim as the lad opposite decided to bait up almost to my feet :mad: and everything went dead for the next 45mins.

Finally I got another bite at around 15yds out & away to my right after an extended time experiencing a lot of knocks and twitches with a thumping 8lb beauty on the end and that started a string of bites but all around the 12-15min mark.

Several anglers came and went over the 4 hours I was there, the showers driving most of them off, and as the rain radar was showing imminent downpours I called it a day with a 2lb common slipping into the net just 3mins into my last cast.

A lovely session with 8 carp banked, seven between 5lb & 8lb - slower than previous sessions but only to be expected with the weather.

6F62B782-F4D7-4152-8C15-045ED8D6306B.jpeg

Last edited:

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Another cracking day @OldTaff (y)(y)(y)

I'm coming down to have a go at your place, I think the carp in our club lakes have all gone away for the winter. Alternatively they may be self-isolating, at least they are from me!!

Nothing but skimmers over the last couple of sessions.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Another nice session mate. The fish look to be in good condition too?

They are in superb condition which is amazing considering how heavily the water is fished throughout the summer and they put up a heck of a fight too, the 2lb ‘tiddler’ thought he was a double :giggle:

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Some nice powerful looking commons there! Seems like you've got the tactics sorted for this place!

Think I’m the only person to ever fish the method on it - 90% of others are two or three carp rod/bomb/baitrunner/alarm combos and the remainder fish floating bread.

In the summer with my boy, he was on the 5m whip smashing out pristine commons & mirrors up to 8oz that had never seen a hook because no one else was interested in them being focussed solely on the big carp. If I can convince the council to change their plans to net out the fish in the new year then who knows what we could achieve with a margin pole or method feeder next summer.

The lad opposite banked two during the 4 hours I was there with a 2 rod setup & judging by the loose feed splashes he was probably using golf ball sized boilies :LOL:

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Another cracking day @OldTaff (y)(y)(y)

I'm coming down to have a go at your place, I think the carp in our club lakes have all gone away for the winter. Alternatively they may be self-isolating, at least they are from me!!

Nothing but skimmers over the last couple of sessions.

Come and have a play - it’s a free water - wear wellies because it’s proper muddy but the daft carp are still hungry (y)

Nasha

Thanks to your reports and helpful advice about finding the place @OldTaff, I pitched up there on Saturday morning about 7.30am and stayed until about 12.45.

I said I was going to say hello but I honestly didn’t see anyone other than the fella in the bivvy until half hour before packing up when a couple of kids turned up and went to the swim next to me. Looking at the photo of your peg I was way off to your right at the bottom end of the lake.

As I made my way back round to the car there were a couple more groups of kids fishing along the park side but no one with a seatbox so I guessed you’d not made it but seems as though I just missed you.

Anyway, my short session was pretty much identical to yours.

Clipped up about 25meters out, chucked out a method feeder filled 75/25 with Sonubaits Chocolate Orange method mix and 2mm ringers pellets. Guru QM1 with a banded 6mm washed out wafter.

Takes were regular until about 10.30 when it all went a bit quiet for a while. Fished around a bit and found some a few meters out of the reed bed to my left. After that I went back to my original swim slightly deeper and the fun continued.

As you’ve said some great fishing to be had here and despite forgetting to bring my coat, breakfast and hand towel - I left cold, wet and hungry but thoroughly satisfied. Amazing what a bag of lumpy commons can do for you eh!

I think this was my best one, didn’t have scales on me but estimate around 8-10lb. Will be back for sure!

IMG_7120.jpg

Id be happy to put my name to any objection there might be to emptying this place seems a real shame, it offers some great action.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
We missed each other o_O - the two kids in the swim you passed dropped in as soon as I left, bivvy man was directly opposite me so I was hidden by the reed bed to my right.

I’ve learned from the week before so a flask & biscuits were the first thing things I checked were in my bag when I set off - making good use of the works coffee ;)

Glad you had an enjoyable session - it is a lovely water to fish and great fun, just need to see how good my influencing skills are with local authority bigwigs now.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I also fish this lake. Shame to see it go to waste

I‘m hoping that it won’t - I have already submitted an objection in writing to the town council acknowledging the issues surrounding the water and detailing my own observations and thoughts on why removal of the fish will not stop the problems.

There is a Recreations & Amenities meeting on 10th December which must be open to the general public - it will be held via Microsoft Teams - and I shall be attending that since my letter must be debated as part of that meeting. Members of the public are permitted to speak at these meetings (for a maximum of 3 minutes) which gives me opportunity to further address any subsequent counter objections.

Waters like this are few and far between so I’m hoping it can be saved because the fishing there is fantastic.