Them damn pesky carp...

Status
Not open for further replies.

severence25

Hi everyone, a bit of advice would be very welcome! Thanks....

My local pond has a good mix of fish, including carp up to 20lb+ (allegedly). Normally I use a method on a quiver and do quite well (PB from this pond 18lb). After reading many a magazine I decided to have a go for the first time with a leger bolt rig and the baitrunner (which i've owned for ages but never used this feature of the reel) Also quite facied a dabble with PVA and it's quite cheap so bought some. So this is the set up...

10lb mainline,
Korda ready made bolt rig,
2oz flat pear lead,
8lb, 8in hook length,
Hair rigged korda S3 size 12 with korum quick stop

I was using 12mm halibut pellets on the hair, and 6mm hailbut pellets in the pva mesh bags.

I cast out to a swim I normally catch from on the method, tightened the line and engaged the bait runner. Left it on bank sticks without any bobbins or bite alarms, as I assumed with the rig being self hooking any bite would be obvious so I could float fish else where and just leave it.

In an entire afternoon I had one run that managed to get to some weeds and snapped off on the hook link, reeled in a couple of times to find no bait where a fish had taken it without any indication, and basically a whole lot of nothing else. With an hour to go I set up a method, using the same hook length and hook, fished in the same spot and pulled in 4 decent size carp...

Now I'm not sure if I'm just doing anything wrong? Can anybody see anything obvious that I've missed? Any tips to improve my catch rate?

Thanks in advance

Chris

mudhead

Even if the rig is self hooking it doesnt necessarily mean the fish will swim away from the rod. This is where you need at least a bobbin to help notice whether the line has gone slack i.e. a fish has swam towards you. Is there any cray fish in the lake? This could account for the lost bait.

Might just be the way you was fishing for them. If the method and quivertip is working, why change it? Or if you do change it try using the method on the bait runner reel to see how the bites differ.

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
doing alot wrong..

12mm pellet and a size 12 hook, id change that for a start to an 8

not alarm or bobbins??? why? you will get bream taking that bait and just sitting there, you will be very little no NON indication.

you fishing like you did caused the fish to hit the weeds and you getting snapped.

8lb hook link and your fishing near weed? get that changed, you will loose more than you land

no offence, but if your not going to do it properly, dont bother......

is your baitrunner on free spool or locked up?

Dagobert II

Leave it out too long and a pellet becomes soft then small silvers peck it to bits

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
Originally posted by Dagobert II

Leave it out too long and a pellet becomes soft then small silvers peck it to bits

yeah that will also happen, you seriously need proper bite indication or fish on the tip

severence25

In my defence there are no bream in the pond, mainly carp, tench, few chubb, roach, and rudd, but I will take on board what you said and get some bobbins. I've no real intention of leaving the rod so bite alarms probably ain't necessary. And I wasn't that close to the reeds and would of been able to stop the fish if it wasn't for the missus ringing me at the time and distracting me. Damn women...

Dagobert, only trying it because at some point later this year I will be going away with a mate for a weekend carping and want to have a go before I turn up on the weekend in question and have no idea. And as far as I know there are no crayfish.

Thanks

Last edited:

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
Originally posted by severence25

And I wasn't that close to the reeds and would of been able to stop the fish

disagree with that completely mate, especially with your hook link breaking strain.

you hook a carp, it bolts off you try locking up to stop it, SNAP.....FACT

you have NO option to let it run and it will head straight for safety, SNAGS.

with NO bite indication a carp will take 10/15m of line (if bolts off) before you EVEN realise and hook into it.

someone out there do correct me if im talking SHYTE [:T]

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp

well what mainline/hook link do you recomend?

as your targetting carp mate aswell as others (tench fight well too)

im basing this on french waters to give you guidance.

alot of french waters state 12lb to 15lbmin for your main line, your talking about carp from 20lb to just under 100lb.

i wouldnt use anything less than 15lb main line in this country.

in your water 12lb will be fine and then use either a 10lb mono hook link, or use a braided hook link

Last edited:

codenamemilo

Originally posted by common_carp

with NO bite indication a carp will take 10/15m of line (if bolts off) before you EVEN realise and hook into it.

To be fair to him mate, if he as he says has no intention of leaving his rod why does he need a bite alarm? A bite alarm provide a lous audible tone to alert you to what your eyes and ears will tell you anyway if you are sat next to the rod.

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
Originally posted by codenamemilo

To be fair to him mate, if he as he says has no intention of leaving his rod why does he need a bite alarm? A bite alarm provide a lous audible tone to alert you to what your eyes and ears will tell you anyway if you are sat next to the rod.

in not arguing [:)], but his full concentration is not on the carp rod when hes float / feeder fishing aswell...

he can do what he likes, im advising what i would do.

codenamemilo

Originally posted by codenamemilo

in not arguing [:)], but his full concentration is not on the carp rod when hes float / feeder fishing aswell...

he can do what he likes, im advising what i would do.

Would completely agree if he is using it as a sleeper, but i read it that he normally used the method but would now like to try a bolt rig instead, not as well as.

BarryC

I do'nt often fish for carp unless on the top. When I do I use a running feeder, 9 inch hooklink, cast out tighten up and flip the baitrunner on.
I just sit near my rod and listen/watch for the reel going off.
I get my fair share including bream, tench and crucians.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
A bite alarm does not have to have to be loud. Most if not all of them can be turned right down and have small led lights which give a visual indication. A bobbin on the line will give indication of bites or drop-back bites. If you do not want to use a bite alarm, at least use a bobbin.
There have been a lot of questions about carp fishing on the forum and I can honestly say that I have never read any bad advice from Common Carp. So my advice would be to do as he advices, it makes sense.[:T]

Auto

Terry
Site Supporter
If you are successful on the Method feeder, why not try the PVA bag and an inline flat lead using the same quivertip rod and reel. All you would be doing is replacing the method feeder with a flat inline lead and the pva bag. It works for me.

My local club lake has a 10lb maximum line strength rule, even though there are carp to 20lb in there.

getfishing

Pete
A size 10 should be right for that size pellet, well the pattern I use anyway. Follow the rest of cc's advoce though. He knows his stuff, except when he blanks at lindholme(oh no, a half dead F1).

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
Originally posted by Dagobert II

If you cant land a 20 pound carp on 10 pound line you should take up golf.

in open water, you can land them on less than 10lb..

fishing anywhere close to reeds, snags, hidden features IMO you will struggle.

better to be safe than sorry IMO. [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.