The Yips!

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Golfers get it, snooker players get it, and this angler also suffers from it.

Yesterday on our little club match, I cast towards a small area of undercut bank on an island, intending to clip up with a small bomb.
And landed it dead on first cast!
Delighted, I clipped up, attached a banded hair rigged hooklength, then switched my attentions to the pole rig.
A happy bunny.

The whistle blew, I fed a couple of pole lines, then catapulted a pouchful of pellets into the "rathole".
They all landed on the island.
Second pouchful was five feet short. Clearly, something was amiss today.
After four or five attempts, I had dropped a few pellets in the right area, and reached for the bomb rod.

Too soft, not even reaching the clip. Too hard, hitting the clip with a real whack and rebounding a yard short.
I gave up and reached for the pole.
And caught one small roach in the next two hours.

Had a cup of tea, then picked up the bomb rod and dropped that bomb gently into the perfect spot.
Caught a carp, unhooked it, cast and repeat.

And repeat. And repeat.
Second with 61lb, first had 76lb.
Those two lost hours - what if ... what if ...?

I'm 66 for heavens sakes, and don't take it seriously, why those casting jitters?

But I can't be the only one?

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I'm not the best feeder / bomb caster in the world either mate. I'm ok casting a float but no confidence in casting a method feeder to an island. That's why I always fish the pole.
Oh - and I got the yips, playing darts about 30 years ago. Couldn't let go of the dart & gave up. Started again two years ago & I don't suffer from the yips so much but I do throw a crazy random dart in the double 12 when I'm going for the treble 20. I've hit the odd 180 in matches but still can't throw like I used to.
Got a match tonight. Bottle still goes when I'm on the oche.

Well done on second place though mate. Still a great performance.

Last edited:

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
some days you fish yer socks off, somedays you cant do anything right... if I have a day like that I usually pack up and come home... it happens sometimes... just can't odds it...!:unsure:

foster82

every time I start fishing takes me a hour to get my casting right. Even if I clip up I can still some how manage to land the feeder in the island. Or at me feet.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I got a tip of a old lad years ago, when casting the feeder as you take the rod behind yer head wherever the end of the butt is pointing is where yer aiming. Try it Clipped up or not then its all about how much power ya put into the cast. If the cast is short the Butt maybe facing the water but will land directly in front of it on the cast depending on the power.

davylad

Hey Landlord, you'll know all about the dart larkers that stiffen up under pressure. Some of them are brilliant when there's nothing on, but when it counts????? My mate who's a very good player, just can't handle it if anyone breaks his concentration, he just cracks up. Needless to say, if I'm struggling a bit and playing him, the mind games start from me. We've all had those days banksy, and you're lucky if you can run a match back, and say you didn't waste a minute.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Hey Landlord, you'll know all about the dart larkers that stiffen up under pressure. Some of them are brilliant when there's nothing on, but when it counts????? My mate who's a very good player, just can't handle it if anyone breaks his concentration, he just cracks up. Needless to say, if I'm struggling a bit and playing him, the mind games start from me. We've all had those days banksy, and you're lucky if you can run a match back, and say you didn't waste a minute.
That was me on Monday Davy :(
Couldn't hit a double to save me life. Had numerous chances to win but my arm just wouldn't go where my brain was telling it to.
Had a practice in the empty pub earlier & hit a 180.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've had a few good sessions and think I'm Bob Nudd. Think I need to enter a few matches next year to get my feet back on the ground.