The Wye - Best river in England?

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Dave whats the canal like to fish. not had many reports on it and who controls it.
Thanks
Brian
A club I was in used to control a stretch at Abermule in the 80's. Lovely bit of canal, very wild, narrow, clear & shallow. Had some great days there, catching prime roach, chub etc. You could see huge shoals of roach swimming past you, it was so clear.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Well the good news just had conformation my new house has been sorted and moving on 1st fed (Knighton Powys) easy reach for Teme, Lugg and Wye wife wanted to move she chose location:D:D I just agreed:cool::cool:. Its a beautiful place bungalow over looking the Teme(y)(y) Just have to get the gear and adapting and learning to big rivers
Corr! You lucky so and so:)

I`m sure you will enjoy.
Evening Squire - You do know that an abseiler is a rock climber that fell off......:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hope you enjoy you your new home and all that it has to offer. (y)

BTW I bought a 10 Metre climbing rope with carabiners from Ebay here it was £11.59 delivered.
I swiped my mothers washing line in the early seventies, tied it to a telegraph pole to lower myself onto a ledge on
the upper Medway at Penshurst. It was my best ever chub session with the blighters queuing up for freelined lobs.

Nasha

I have booked 3 days off work to go and fish the Wye at the end of July for the first ever time. Staying close to Ross-On-Wye, properly buzzing for it!!!

It has been in the making for months and I don’t think I’ve (knowingly) left a stone unturned in my research and preparation to hopefully catch my first river Barbel.

Certain factors will have to be considered nearer the time, like the weather and river conditions and I plan my first stop on arrival in the area to be one of the local tackle shops for advice, bait and day tickets – Woody’s.

One thing that I have yet to find is anywhere that suggests, if it’s actually suggestable, is the range of leads and feeders I will need.

What would the advisable size, weight, and quantity of the above be for an average July/August long weekend?

Cheers!

solwood

Site Supporter
It can be a lead monster if you are unlucky!

If there us no rain then lighter than expected will hold bottom

If there is heavy rain then possibly 4/5/6 oz

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Depends entirely on the weather like any other river but I’ve only fished the Wye between august and october and generally used 40-50g and didn’t lose any feeders that I recall. But if it properly rained it could have got to like an 80g job quick time. Cant imagine it would ever need more than that in summer though.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Bear in mind you’re going to be looking for flow to catch Barbel I’d take a range from 30-60g.
Woody will see you alright though. You may well be fishing maggot feeders and doctoring the holes as the water could be low and clear👍
Be prepared to stay on in the evening.

Nasha

Plan is to tough it out, wind rain or shine until sunset each day and be out at sunrise both mornings. This isn't an opertunity I'll get often.

So a range of 1.5 to 2.5oz leads and feeders should do me by the sounds of it. Ill get some in preperation and then be guided further and buy more if needed from Woody (y)

nejohn

Site Supporter
You should also pay Fishers tackle shop in Ross a visit as they will be able to give you info that is probably more local to where you are staying, also take a look on their Angling Dreams web site as they have some good stretches available on a day ticket, not cheap but you will probably have the stretch to yourself or at least only another angler. Not sure how it is fishing at the minute but the town stretch in Ross can be productive but mainly chub and dace with the odd Barbel for interest

peterb

Site Supporter
Also be aware that is the height of the canoe season and they are a problem , so be prepared to avoid the middle of the day . Early and late best time to fish anyway , hope we get some rain soon as the river is very low .

Nasha

You should also pay Fishers tackle shop in Ross a visit as they will be able to give you info that is probably more local to where you are staying, also take a look on their Angling Dreams web site as they have some good stretches available on a day ticket, not cheap but you will probably have the stretch to yourself or at least only another angler. Not sure how it is fishing at the minute but the town stretch in Ross can be productive but mainly chub and dace with the odd Barbel for interest
We arrive on a Monday and unfortunately they're closed but will check out their stretches on the web in a bit more detail. I'd be happy catching other species but the main aim, and what ill be geared up for, is Barbel. Wont be avoiding the more expensive tickets either, its a once a year sort of trip for me so will want to make the most of it!

Nasha

Also be aware that is the height of the canoe season and they are a problem , so be prepared to avoid the middle of the day . Early and late best time to fish anyway , hope we get some rain soon as the river is very low .
Just dip the rod tips and let the canoes glide past?

How much rain generally brings the levels back up, a couple of days of heavy rain? Which is always a possibility during a British summer!

peterb

Site Supporter
Dipping you rod tip is fine with the serious canoeists who go down the middle of the river , but the people who hire a canoe for a day and are very often half cut and are all over the place can be a problem

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Have three mates there since Monday.
Not heard of anything caught as yet but then again phone signals not great in the area.
I would love to go for a weeks fishing.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’d personally not risk that much holiday in this country as can get burnt by the weather messing up plans. Done a couple or best part of a couple weeks fishing in the US though a few times as the weather allows it there. Well 8-9 days fishing in 12-14 day trips.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Have three mates there since Monday.
Not heard of anything caught as yet but then again phone signals not great in the area.
Leave it until October,November. Barbel are still active and there’s more chance of the river being at winter levels. Also more chance of it being in flood though😂. Plus the fish are moving into the Belmont section, Hereford, if you fancy fish other than Barbel.