The Wye - Best river in England?

Browner

Site Supporter
Just seen a post from DH about the results of a recent match on the Wye. He weighed over 70lb of chub and came 5th!! James Robbins won with 115lb. Incredible weights. What is it about the Wye? Why is the fishing so good compared to many other rivers where 20lb would be a good weight?

Robwooly

It always fishes well come winter as it is a shallow natural river with no weirs, you can't beat shallow rivers in winter. It is struggling each summer though.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Could it be because it’s left alone to it’s own devices? No meddling from us.

nejohn

Site Supporter
It can be quite patchy, but hit it on a good day with fish in front of you then yes it can be very good but you do have to work for your fish. A lot of people think they can just rock up anywhere on the river and instantly catch a 10lb Barbel or 20lb of Dace they more often than not leave disappointed. I tend to fish the lower reaches (Ross and Below) as they are closer to home than the very popular and often very prolific area's around Hereford, I have had some very good days fishing on the river with good mixed bags and individual fish, Barbel to just short of 10lb, Chub to a touch over 5lb, Dace to 14oz and a stonking Perch of 3.5lb (Unfortunately no large Roach) However I have to balance that with the fact that I have also had some very bad days when you can count the number of bites on your fingers. For me the Wye is a bit Jeckle and Hyde....when it is good it is often very good but when it is bad it can be very hard work.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I would say the likes of the trent and Thames are much more consistently good but when the Wye is on it seems to be very good indeed. For example I’ve personally yet to have a genuinely good session (let alone a mega session) on the Wye from half a dozen attempts whereas I have good sessions probably 3 out of 4 times on the Thames. Seems the Wye is boom or bust whereas a lot of other rivers don’t hit the same highs but are much more consistent in producing good days.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
It can be quite patchy, but hit it on a good day with fish in front of you then yes it can be very good but you do have to work for your fish. A lot of people think they can just rock up anywhere on the river and instantly catch a 10lb Barbel or 20lb of Dace they more often than not leave disappointed. I tend to fish the lower reaches (Ross and Below) as they are closer to home than the very popular and often very prolific area's around Hereford, I have had some very good days fishing on the river with good mixed bags and individual fish, Barbel to just short of 10lb, Chub to a touch over 5lb, Dace to 14oz and a stonking Perch of 3.5lb (Unfortunately no large Roach) However I have to balance that with the fact that I have also had some very bad days when you can count the number of bites on your fingers. For me the Wye is a bit Jeckle and Hyde....when it is good it is often very good but when it is bad it can be very hard work.
This is the Wye in a nutshell ^^^^ Prolific, but VERY peggy.

the next four pegs downstream of the winner on Sunday all blanked (ok the old Wye bridge was in between) and 8/12 of the first two sections also blanked. But on the other hand it was really only the chub(lets) that fed on Sunday ... and mega weights are possible with roach, dace, barbel, perch, bleak and bigger chub.

a Couple of other points:
It looks like we’re at the top of a cycle at the moment, eight to ten years ago the river was not a patch on this ... whereas 15 back it was at the peak again. Speaking to anglers who have fished it for more years than I have ... it has been really poor at times in the past.
There is undoubtedly a large migration of fish in to Hereford town stretch from early October on. The Surrounding stretches do become a bit of a desert, as evidenced by the Wye champs results (end of November last year, rather than the usual end of October).
Prior to the migration, the Wye is much less peggy. with the chublet explosion of the last year it‘s probably got even more fair. When we fished the charity match at the end of September 2022, most sections were won with 25 pounds plus ... and 70 odd won it.

BTMS

Site Supporter
Well the good news just had conformation my new house has been sorted and moving on 1st fed (Knighton Powys) easy reach for Teme, Lugg and Wye wife wanted to move she chose location:D:D I just agreed:cool::cool:. Its a beautiful place bungalow over looking the Teme(y)(y) Just have to get the gear and adapting and learning to big rivers

Keith Sparky

Site Supporter
Well the good news just had conformation my new house has been sorted and moving on 1st fed (Knighton Powys) easy reach for Teme, Lugg and Wye wife wanted to move she chose location:D:D I just agreed:cool::cool:. Its a beautiful place bungalow over looking the Teme(y)(y) Just have to get the gear and adapting and learning to big rivers
1st new item to buy after your move is rope, 2nd item spare rope, 3rd item longer spare rope........those river banks can be steep !

BTMS

Site Supporter
cheers M8. Unfortunately not so nimble as I used to be but enjoyed abseiling a lot:)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Well the good news just had conformation my new house has been sorted and moving on 1st fed (Knighton Powys) easy reach for Teme, Lugg and Wye wife wanted to move she chose location:D:D I just agreed:cool::cool:. Its a beautiful place bungalow over looking the Teme(y)(y)
Sounds pretty good to me that 👍🏻

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
That's not far from the Montgomery canal if the rivers are up to much.

Godber

Fruity Susan, Nobice and Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
I used to fish the Bibblins stretch when Glamorgan anglers had it. Lovely stretch of water but my promise to never use double figure bs line and single figure size hooks was blown out the water on my first trip. Ragged stupid by the barble, line shredded by the very rocky bottom.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
cheers M8. Unfortunately not so nimble as I used to be but enjoyed abseiling a lot:)
Evening Squire - You do know that an abseiler is a rock climber that fell off......:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hope you enjoy you your new home and all that it has to offer. (y)

BTW I bought a 10 Metre climbing rope with carabiners from Ebay here it was £11.59 delivered.

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
Last edited:

BTMS

Site Supporter

Ivan heaphurst

The Wye has to be the most picturesque river in he country. I am lucky enough to be able to fish a stretch that is not overfished. I still have blanks especially as it’s full of chicken s**t at present. The up side of the no fish day is to be out in some of the best countryside that this England has to offer. There rule of thumb with the Wye seems to be that there are plenty of fish but they do not grow to massive sizes.