The World Cup (positivity) thread

Keith Sparky

Site Supporter
England excellent going forward against a side that I thought could be tricky. I will take a scrappy 1 v 0 win for Wales any day.

Yorkieboy70

Site Supporter
Very good start, shame about the penalty at the end, substitutes came on and were positive. Only downside was Harry Kane don't think he had a shot on target. Let's hope he is saving himself for the tougher games to come.

DFL

Site Supporter
Plenty of positivity there! I cannot recall enjoying an opening England WC game in recent memory but this was good stuff.

Shame about the officials and VAR though, someone will get unjustly knocked out if they don’t improve, todays Maguire decision was an easy one.

There’s not much more fickle than some so called football supporters, on another forum the talk has been nothing but negativity leading up to this tournament being critical of players and Southgate. “ Boring and can’t be bothered to watch” was one comment, he’s now saying how good they were and enjoyed watching the game. 😂 Reminds me of a Paul Whitehouse character from the Fast Show.

C’mon England…….🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Dave gsx1400

Perfect start. Just what we needed. A brilliant all round team effort, fabulous goals - including Irans first I must say. A a shame about the closing penalty but its the right price to pay for pulling a shirt in the box in this modern game. Personally, I thought the ref had a good game too, but i`ll probably get slapped for that! England played a blinder, though I can`t help my anxious moments when the defence mess about trying to be clever at the back instead of getting the ball forward with more urgency - it`ll be our undoing against better teams. Nevertheless, a brilliant performance today:D(y).

Keith Sparky

Site Supporter
2 absolute howlers from Mendy in the Senegal Holland game...keeper has to do much better on both goals at this level.....

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
It was a good start. All the team seem to be firing - starters and subs.

Shame about VAR, but hopefully the early mistakes (this match and Qatar vs Ecu ) will mean they'll get the decisions right in the tighter knock-out matches.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Very good start, shame about the penalty at the end, substitutes came on and were positive. Only downside was Harry Kane don't think he had a shot on target. Let's hope he is saving himself for the tougher games to come.
He goes missing in the tougher games so not much chance of that. I was quite surprised he didn't score today, with all respect to Iran, it was the sort of game he usually adds to a tally that i feel continues to give a false impression compared with some of the players he will eventually overtake in the goal standings. I'm actually wondering if it is fair to judge Kane as a striker anymore, he comes deep and links play, which is of course fine, as long as the goals come from the wider attacking players or midfield like today. A team that is able to shut our width down is a team that has the beating of England.

Good start result wise, good to see the likes of Bellingham and Rashford off the mark, the 2 conceded made it a more a matt finish than a glossy one, but 3 points and plus 4 if things come down to goals.

Keith Sparky

Site Supporter
Good 2nd half from Wales and may have nicked it but a draw over the full game fair result...still in it !

Greeny1178

Site Supporter
Definitely game of two half’s , much better second half , probably would of took a draw at the start to be fair .

Keith Sparky

Site Supporter
Only a few games in and we are seeing record amounts of added time.
I think other than the genuine long injury to the Iran keeper the refs may have had a directive to add time for all the time wasting with players going to ground every 5 seconds with no head injury. Why games are constantly stopped is beyond me