The World Cup (positivity) thread

DFL

Site Supporter
Ok, it may not last long but I’ve had enough of the moans and whinges from the armchair pundits.

I love my football and I am fiercely patriotic when it comes to sport so let’s talk nothing other than the football in this thread and look forward to an entertaining tournament and show support to the team that you follow.

In some ways this is a great time to be holding the WC, with cold dark afternoons there’s plenty of tv to look forward to for us retired folk 😊

England’s performances leading up have been disappointing, a good group stage hopefully will see us click into gear when it matters.

C’mon England.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Come on England.
But some idiot has booked a eye test for 2pm on Monday 🙈

Keith Sparky

Site Supporter
I love my footie. I will watch all games or at least record and play back....and I mean all. Obviously would love to see both Wales and England do well in that order but if England win it I will be very happy as have supported them since watching the first first world cup I can remember in 1970 Mexico when I was 6. Throw in Newport County L2 games and FA Cup R2 shortly its wall to wall football.....yeah.........

62tucker

Site Supporter
I am wondering if teams will play the high press?
Will England play the high press ?

Greeny1178

Site Supporter
Yeah I can’t wait for the footie to start , been a mad Wales and cardiff fan for years been all over watching Wales and city , If I could of afforded to go over I would have. And I am a bit nervous for the big one already . Enjoy all 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🇬🇧

Northantslad

'Any indications?
I'll watch it, but only if we don't make the same mistakes, i suppose i will have to watch it to see if we do make the same mistakes, behind England of course, but my positivity needs to be inspired, i can't be blindly positive just because it's England, those days have gone and to much disappointment has flowed under the bridge. I'm not a quite a doom and gloom merchant, but i have to see learning having taken place on Gareth's part, he is the last chance we have in my view by getting 90% of the job right, to get out of the tedious and vicious circle of anticipation and highs and inevitable lows of what is being an England fan, the final 10% however is the key-tactics and being proactive in decisions made in a game, rather than reactive and too late too.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I am the same, just don't think Southgate has learned from his mistakes and still goes out to try not to lose rather than try to win. My view is that England do have the players to be in with a very good chance, however there is a good chance that the real game changers will be sat on the bench most of the time. Personally for the group games at least I would play something like the below team (don't forget sometimes your best team doesn't include all of your 'best' players)
Any of the three goalkeepers (not a lot to choose between them)
Back 4
Shaw, Coady, Stones, Trippier
Midfield 4
Rice
Saka. Bellingham
Madison
Front 2
Kane. Wilson
I know it's a little controversial but the midfield will create and I think Kane and Wilson would complement each other with Wilson running in behind a packed defence. Especially if we press quite high up

DFL

Site Supporter
^^^^^ you don’t reckon on Mason Mount starting?

nejohn

Site Supporter
^^^^^ you don’t reckon on Mason Mount starting?
That line up I posted has no chance of starting way to attack minded for Southpark.
As for Mount if I had to choose between Mount and Maddison it would be Maddison every time but I have no doubt Mount will start alongside Rice, Henderson and a not match fit Phillips

George Jones

Site Supporter
With the lack of opportunity for ordinary fans to buy alcohol, it's worth pointing out that they can easily get stoned

Greeny1178

Site Supporter
Still doesn’t feel like a World Cup is starting in a couple of hours, just feels a bit odd to me .

Yorkieboy70

Site Supporter
I just hope Southgate plays to win and not play to not lose. Team against Iran should be very attacking, get goals on the board against a team that averaged just over 1 goal per game conceded in qualifying.

Keith Sparky

Site Supporter
Qatar struggling to get back into the game against Ecuador. Can't see them scoring in 15mins.....

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Much as I would Love to see England win it I fear that we will do well to get beyond the Quarter Finals although I hope I'm wrong.
However if we can't win it I would happy to see Argentina win as it would be a suitable way for Messi to crown his career. ;)

DFL

Site Supporter
Much as I would Love to see England win it I fear that we will do well to get beyond the Quarter Finals although I hope I'm wrong.
However if we can't win it I would happy to see Argentina win as it would be a suitable way for Messi to crown his career. ;)
Did you see the Messi documentary last night Peter?

DFL

Site Supporter
No John but I will watch it on the iPlayer. :upthumb:
I’d love to see Messi lift the cup too if we weren’t in it.

I’ve been extremely fortunate to see Messi play, unfortunately it was the infamous CL semi in 2009, the last game I saw at the Bridge. Messi had the quietist of games and spent a lot of time hands on hips in the centre circle, I never got over that game.

Back after years

Site Supporter
I'll be watching as many of games as possible. I love the major tournaments..I'm not a big gambler but I usually have a £2 bet on every match , correct score and a goalscorer..It adds a bit of interest to each game....I am optimistic about England...and Wales .I think they'll both get out of the group then once in the Knockout stage anything can happen..