"The Winged Fellowship"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Trust Geoff to get it all wrong.

There was me thinking about a trip to Norfolk to help some disabled and handicapped people fishing when I have actually got myself involved with, I think it is called, The Winged Fellowship Skylarks. And pleased about it I am too

On 31st August a party of disabled/handicapped people are going to West Bridgford, near Nottingham for a fortnight. During their time there they will be fishing 11 days.

I have spoken to Brian, who is organising it and apparently he needs the assistance of able-bodied anglers. There are plenty of care workers but not many of them fish.

They are also on the lookout for kit. 2 pint bait boxes was one of the things he mentioned, also landing and keep nets.

I will be travelling up on the second weekend, on Friday 6th September. They are not fishing on the Saturday but that gives me a chance for a few hours on my own.

Brian is going to E-Mail me with further information by the weekend, which I will post on here.

I have mentioned this site to him and hopefully he will log on himself

There you are Stu and Trev, that is what the donations are for. Sorry I got the destination wrong, but every bit of help will be appreciated.

thumbsup.gif Geoff

RSSG member - are you?
Clean Banks Campaign member

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Hi Geoff, do you no how many are fishing?

teepee.

norm

geoff what are they letting them selfs in for

a grumpy 29 year old helping out
icon_smile_wink.gif

i have just got a new landing net head given (it`s a good one you can have that(brand new (almost) )icon_smile_big.gif

see ya later my welsh mate
(chris told me to say that) (lol)

norm

WHO`S PEG CAN I CAST INTO?

MALC

Geoff,

As mentioned (in pm) should be able to help with some kit (know i've got a few spare landing net's at least) and should be able to pop up to help out at least one day in each week if needed.

Just let me know when you get details and i'll sort out which days i'm off and see what i can sort out.

I'll sort the kit out and if you want i'll bring it down to the Welsh fish-in.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Geoff,
Great, Couldnt suit me better!, Nottingham is next door to all Darryl and my fishing!.
So, I'll find out what we've got together, {Certainly spare landing nets) and see what they are looking for!

Also, look forward greatly to liaising with you, Malc, Tony and anyone else looking to help.

Not much of a pack horse these days lol, but I can still tie a hook!

Also, if they are unsure of venues,!!!!

I just happen to know a 20 platform stretch of the Trent, just a few miles from Nottingham!

Well done Geoff, Glad you got involved!

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have heard from my contact with Skylarks.

Below is a list of venues being fished during the first two weeks in September.

SKYLARKS FISHING FORTNIGHT 2002
VENUES

SUN 1st SEPT DERBY GRAMMAR SCHOOL

MON 2nd SEPT STRAIGHT MILE FISHERY

TUES 3rd SEPT DERWENT LAKE, MAKINS

WEDS 4th SEPT DERBY GRAMMAR SCHOOL

THURS 5th SEPT ASH LAKE, FOSTON

FRI 6TH SEPT NORTH SCARLE DUCK FARM

SUN 8TH SEPT DERBY GRAMMAR SCHOOL

MON 9TH SEPT STRAIGHT MILE FISHERY

TUES 10TH SEPT DERWENT LAKE, MAKINS

WEDS 11TH SEPT DERBY GRAMMAR SCHOOL

THURS 12TH SEPT ASH LAKE, FOSTON

And here is a list of what kind of equipment is needed by Skylarks.

2 pint bait boxes, power brolly stakes, keepnets, telescopic landing net handles (so do I) and landing nets.

If any one can help with equipment, or assisting on the bank, in any way Big Brian would appreciate it. His E-Mail address is - big.brian@btinternet.com

I can collect any donations at either the Soar or the Welsh Fish-In. I will be going to Nottingham on Thursday 5th September in the evening.

Thank you

Geoff

RSSG member - are you?

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Geoff,
You have E-Mail.

Should have another keep-net by then, spare.
Will liaise as we go along

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

MALC

Geoff,

Sadly due to work and my commitments to Rugby Disabled at the moment the only day i can offer to attend and help is on the 4th at Derby Grammer School (but will try for more).

Sorted out a couple of Landing-Nets but only 1 net pole (at the moment).

Will send you and Big Bill an e-mail later with details.

Malc

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Trev and Malc, thank you for your offres of help

Big Stu thank you for your donations.

All offers of assistance in any way are much appreciated.

Geoff

RSSG member - are you?

Big Brian

HI EVERY ONE.. FOR MY SINS I AM THE CHAP WHO ORGANIZES FISHING FORTNIGHT AT SKYLARKS. THIS IS ONE MATCH OVER 11 DAYS OF FISHING(AND 11 NIGHTS IN THE BAR TALKING FISHING)HOPEFULLY THIS YEAR THERE WILL BE 28 GUESTS EACH DAY. COMPLETE WITH VOLLIES( AND TEASMAID).
THIS IS QUITE A TASK TO RUN THIS HOLIDAY.. SOME GUESTS BRING THERE OWN GEAR AND WITH OUR OWN STUFF THISS MAKES A TRANSIT FULL OF STUFF TO BE SET UP AND TAKEN DOWN EVERY DAY. THE GUESTS ARE GREAT WHICH MAKES IT ALL WORTH WHILE. IF ANY ONE HAS ANY QUESTIONS THEY CAN E-MAIL ME OR POST IT ON THIS SITE... HOPE TO MEET UP WITH SOME OF YOU IN THE FUTURE.
Big Brian.

MALC

Welcome Big Brian,

Look forward to being hopefully helpfull in September

Malc

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Welcome Big Brian, are the monday outings at Straight mile fishery at Brampton,?

teepee.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Brian,

Glad you could join us.

will have a bit more info for you after the weekend.

I am looking forward to the first weekend in September.

See you soon

Geoff

RSSG member - are you?

Big Brian

HI TEEPEE YES THE MONDAYS ARE AT BRAMPTON STRAIGHT MILE, NR DINNINGTON. THE OWNERS ARE VERY GOOD TO US AND DON,T CHARGE US ANYTHING TO USE THE VENUE. ALL OUR MATCHES START AROUND 12MD BUT THE ADVANCE CREW GET THERE WITH THE GEAR AROUND 10ish TO GET EVERYTHING SET UP.

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Hi Big Brian, i live quite near to S/Mile fisfery so will be able to help out both mondays, i think they also provide keep/nets, i'll get intouch nearer the time, and i'll try to get to some of the other venues,
All the best,

teepee.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
This is an excerpt from an E-Mail I have just received from Brian of Skylarks

"At the moment it looks as if there will be between 20 and 25 guests fishing but this may change but I wont know until the day. Each of these need someone sat with them to help them fish, to fish for them or to fish as well as them. We do allow several rods at each peg. We do have the problem that some of the vollies have never fished before so we always appreciate fisherman helping us out. The guests are a lively bunch who will insult us if we dont get in first. They are keen even the ones who dont actually fish but sit and enjoy the banter on the bank. They soon pass comment if a fish is lost. Their disabilities vary (it is easier to see them than for me to explain) Bob has the rod attached to his hat and strikes with his head, then we play and land the fish (see attached photo.) I have seen him strike in to a 6lb carp and hold it with his head until the helper takes over. Some of them only use whips and will catch carp to 8lb whether it has elastic or not."

I have arranged to definately be there on Thursday evening so I can help out on the Friday and Sunday, and hopefully fish with Trev somewhere on the Saturday. This two week period is definately one for my diary next year, even if it only to help out for a week.

Any spare gear any of you may have would be welcome as the Skylarks like to keep gear for the guests, even though some may have their own. Some is given out as prizes for happenings like "best tangle" now that is one I could certainly try for.

Thank you to the guys who have offered to help, you are what makes MDs the best site.

See you all soon at the Welsh Fish-In.

Geoff

RSSG member - are you?

(Just reducing photo size icon_smile.gif - Dave)

Edited by - Dave on 22 August 2002 9:27:53 PM

martin.

Account Locked
hi geoff
its a bit to far for me to pop dwn for a day but ill
see what tackle i can sort out & bring it to welsh fish in
sorry it wasnt in norfolk i could have helped most days

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

Big Brian

Hi everyone,
Here we are only eight days from the most tiring fortnight of my year (11 days of fishing and every day a long one)I've been involved with this for the past 12 years and enjoy itso much that I am already planning next years.
If those of you that can make it this year could e-mail me and let me know which days you will be coming it will make life a lot easier for me. If you need directions to any venue or more details please let me know.
As I will be away till the 28th you may not get a reply untill then but I will contact you.
Thanks for your offers of help.. I am sure that you will all enjoy the experience, and hopefully be back next year.
speak to you soon,
Big Brian.
P.S. This topic has also been placed on another web site with no response. To me this proves that the maggot drowners must be the best!!!!!!!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
icon_smile_blush.gif Thanks Brian icon_smile_blush.gif

If you can give us a bit more notice next year we'll drum up some proper support for you as we'll get the Maggotdrowner's Press Gang into action icon_smile.gif

Good luck and just remember no matter how tiring it is, it's worth every bit of it icon_smile.gif

Regards, Dave

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just gone one better Brian,

Take a look at our homepage: www.maggotdrowning.com

Hopefully it'll bring a bit of support icon_smile.gif

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.