The Willows (Nr York) - Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Carter

First of all I'd like to say a big thanks for the very warm welcome I received to MD's when I posted my first subject last week. As promised I'm writing again to let you know how I got on at the Willows.
I managed to get there for 7am and decided to opt for the older, larger lake on the right hand side as you enter the complex. I set up on a swim in the far right hand corner near to a partly submerged willow tree. Using a small waggler (2bb) and fishing between 2 and 3 rod lengths out, the depth was quite shallow, about 3 to 4 foot max. Using double red maggot and feeding every other cast I was soon getting plenty of smallish roach and rudd with the occassional skimmer to about a pound. Most of these were on the drop so I decided to move some of my shot further down my line to get my bait down more quickly. This resulted in loads of tench (both normal and golden) to about half a pound and then over 20 carp (mirror and common) upto to 2-3 pounds. I even managed a small barbel. I got speaking to the guy who collects the money and apparently my peg had won the previous Saturdays match with over 40lb of mixed fish. Pellet which the fish are bred on can be bought from the owners and is generally considered the best bait although I had no complaints from an excellant days fishing with the humble maggot! The whole set up is very picturesque and I would have no qualms in recommending this fishery to anyone.
Hope to hear from anyone else who has fished there.
Tight lines
Matt

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Matt,

I'm glad you had a good time, you definately chose the better lake of the two in my opinion. How's about that for a 'garden pond'?

For those that don't know the fishery, the lake is situated behind the owners house, at the end of his garden icon_smile.gif

Regards, Dave

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Nice one Matt!

Well done!

Another 1 for the where to fish file!

Trev

Ziptrev pug.gif Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Status
Not open for further replies.