The weir pool of my Dreams

Zerkalo

I went for a walk along the canal today, first time since lockdown, and was surprised to see a big shoal of 100s of Roach and Skimmers in one peg just under the surface basking in the sun in an otherwise shaded, and no fishing, stretch of canal. The purpose of my journey though was to scout out pegs along a BAA stretch of the River Stour near Stewponey Junction in Stourton. I call this a 'roving' stretch as it has quite a few pegs along the small and usually shallow stream they call the Stour.

I had fished it once before for about an hour without any success, and usually fish a weir pool just down the road. Shortly after the first time I fished it I had a dream. I dreamt that if I'd just carried on walking a bit further along the bank it would have opened up into another magnificent weir pool. By chance, I was googling another dayticket stretch along the same river and came across as BAA map clearly labelled 'weir'.

So I decided to go and check it out today and sure enough...

It's out of the way and apparently rarely fished, although whenever I go into the tackle shop and say I'm fishing the Stour, I'm always asked, "at the Stewponey?". Apparently the guy in the tackle shop fishes it and has decent Chub out of there. Add to that, it looks like it has a nice glide for float fishing as I can only ledger at the other stretch, although that pool is bigger than this one.

IMG_3592.jpeg

So there it is, the weir pool I dreamt of, and likely where I will be come the middle of June if lockdown is over.

Zerkalo

Yeah it gives me another place to fish if someones on the peg at my usual weir. I fancy this one for a few fish too! It looks just like it did in my dream surprisingly as well. I should have included in the shot the castle that it is opposite too, makes it just that little bit more scenic.

Here's a pic of Stourton Castle that it is opposite from Google.

stourton.jpg

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Looks lovely that look forward to reading your reports of fishing there! Only fished a weir pool once but they are definitely cool places

Is always cool seeing fish bask in the sun. Been visiting a pond up by me most days that’s been covered with rudd and roach basking since it’s warmed up.
1587827665130.jpeg 1587827697614.jpeg

Zerkalo

That's what the canal looked like in one spot, a spot I've always wanted to fish as the bank on the far side is a low meadow with some rushes that lets the sun hit it, compared to most of the rest of the stretch that is high clay banks and overhanging trees with shade for miles. The only thing it looks like I'd catch in those areas if I was allowed to fish is twigs and leafs but was really surprised to see all the Roach and Skimmers just under the surface in the sunny spot today, some decent stamp too!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Seen it down my canal as well and occasionally on rivers. Very rarely see it on such scale on lakes though so I guess the fishing pressure makes them behave differently.

Zerkalo

Yeah it's quite a sight!

Actually there used to be a Lido at Stewponey Junction.

lido.jpg

Cannot imagine that these days but apparently it was there until the 80s. Luckily this stretch is BAA access only so unlike some other BAA stretches you won't get people walking with dogs, sunbathing and so on, and it's far away from a road despite being a short walk so really out of the way in a nice spot and apparently rarely fished.

The BAA blurb states "This new fishery has yet to be tested. Reputed to hold trout, dace, chub & roach. No contests will be held on this water."

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
This is the weir that’s on my club ticket as of the new season. I’ve heard you also need a thames weir permit though that costs twice as much as the season ticket itself so I won’t be bothering as there’s very little bank space so I’d imagine it’ll always be full. Did once fish it from a kayak when I wasn’t sure what the rules were. Was full of good chub but they were vary wary so only caught at few dace and bleak.
1587830529670.jpeg

Zerkalo

That I imagine to be the problem at a lot of weirs, is that they will be busy pegs. For such a small river as the Worcs Stour I'm pleased with the stamp of fish, especially the Chub, in the other weir near me. I've had them to 5lb but not many small fish I think due to predators. Lots of pike in there and there's even a rail on the far bank someone told me has been put there to help the resident Mink (I think that's what the man said) cross the road.

Zerkalo

Have posted this before but here's a 6lb+ Bream I caught from the weir just downstream. I caught it early in the morning when the river was up. I was waiting for my dad to get to me from the tackle shop with some maggots, so was just ledgering double dendro and by chance caught this.

Bream.JPG

I didn't weigh it but have it down as a PB at 6lb+ even though I've had other 6lb fish, I could not fit my hand around it, it had such a broad back. I imagine it was a very old fish and has been in there for years. I listed this as a surprise species from venue you wouldn't expect, as even though you would expect Bream to be in a weir pool, I think it was a remarkable catch for such a small river. You could literally wade ankle deep from one side to the other at some points between the two weirs.

tunna

Zerkalo
i have fished the weirpool in your photo, very snaggy, and quite shallow, especially in summer, i prefer the few pegs above the weir heading back towards the canal, a lot deeper, had some cracking roach, chub,plenty of gudgeon, and a solitary bream. mainly on maggots, and stickfloat, but the better roach on corn. as there are hordes of minnows also.

Zerkalo

Interesting @tunna I need to give it a go as I fished it for about an hour just above on maggot last summer and didn't have a bite!. Sounds very promising though!

I usually fish the weirpool on Windsor Holloway just down past Kinver on maggot and have had plenty of 3lb+ Chub, Perch to 2lb, Bream 4 to 6lb, little eels and one small under a lb Barbel, but I think a solitary Roach of about 1lb and a single dace! The bloke in the tackle shop always tells me he fishes the same Stewponey stretch so I will see how I get on.

There's also this dayticket stretch at Caunsall I'm itching to try too. I posted a video of someone catching a nice bag there here...

Flathead

Site Supporter
This is the weir that’s on my club ticket as of the new season. I’ve heard you also need a thames weir permit though that costs twice as much as the season ticket itself so I won’t be bothering as there’s very little bank space so I’d imagine it’ll always be full. Did once fish it from a kayak when I wasn’t sure what the rules were. Was full of good chub but they were vary wary so only caught at few dace and bleak.
1587830529670.jpeg
We used to know that as Sandford ‘big lasher’ as a opposed to the smaller ‘little lasher’......used to fish it over 50years ago.

You only need a weir permit to fish off the weir itself....not from the natural bank.

The memorial in the middle is for two students who drowned there many years ago

tysontim

Site Supporter
Interesting @tunna I need to give it a go as I fished it for about an hour just above on maggot last summer and didn't have a bite!. Sounds very promising though!

I usually fish the weirpool on Windsor Holloway just down past Kinver on maggot and have had plenty of 3lb+ Chub, Perch to 2lb, Bream 4 to 6lb, little eels and one small under a lb Barbel, but I think a solitary Roach of about 1lb and a single dace! The bloke in the tackle shop always tells me he fishes the same Stewponey stretch so I will see how I get on.

There's also this dayticket stretch at Caunsall I'm itching to try too. I posted a video of someone catching a nice bag there here...

Fished there quite regular when I lived down there, some cracking roach on the hemp down the track, and right over on the caster for the chub. It’s a great cut mate you will love it, then pop in the anchor for one of their famous beef cobs and a beer to finish the day, cracking boozer but does get very busy.

Zerkalo

Know the Anchor well mate! So far I've only fished the canal and had my first canal Chub from there. I was a canal angler with my Junior club too. Years of trying for a Chub on the canal on a caster line on the far bank and never had anything even on the renowned stretches like Swindon and Womborne. Never saw a Chub get caught in Junior matches. Although I know they are there, especially now. So that's one place I'll be going after lockdown, the Staffs/Worcs canal for Chub. And of course the Stour.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
@Flathead thats interesting I might have to give it a go then if I can get a swim. Could take my little boat up there but bit short of launch points close to the car so probably best to just get an early start to get on the bank. I think you can fish the little weir stream as well now but I’d have to double check that.